Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Real world mpg XC90 D5 awd

Hi,

I gather most if not all are auto (geartronic).

Just wanted to know the real world mpg.

Quite fancy a older one (53/54 reg) for the family.

Ta

Timo.
    62' V60 D3 R Design
    62' V60 T6 AWD R Design polestar'd

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    I had for a day once (geartronic), got about 35mpg on a run, but only low 20s around town.

But depends on how you drive it, as it was a lot slower than my car, i felt like i had to put my foot down a lot just to get it moving at a decent pace.

Sure it would do better after getting used to the way it drives and not having such a heavy right foot. lol
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have a manual one that is driven pretty hard and averages out at about 35 mpg as its mostly through the country lanes and round town liamt4 if you think they are that slow perhaps you had better come for a drive in the country with me

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Be warned though they break easily and cost a fortune to fix

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingxl View Post
    I have a manual one that is driven pretty hard and averages out at about 35 mpg as its mostly through the country lanes and round town liamt4 if you think they are that slow perhaps you had better come for a drive in the country with me
    Why? Do you live in a world where you can alter the laws of physics? Or are you just a scary driver?
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

Vikingxl (Saturday 18th February 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Expect low 20's (town) to low 30's in reality, depending on where and how you drive it. Any better and it's a bonus, but go into this with your eyes open.

Have the AWD system confirmed as working before you part with any money. Common and expensive point of failure.

They are not all that slow in traffic, you just keep up with the flow.
    If you want to push on and go for it, they will do it - they don't always like doing it, but they can..... especially if you get the thing tuned a bit

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SomeBloke For This Useful Post:

Vikingxl (Saturday 18th February 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Why? Do you live in a world where you can alter the laws of physics? Or are you just a scary driver?
    Nothing to do with altering the laws of physics mate you just need to know how to drive one. I stick to the speed limit these days but strangely whenever anyone tailgates me through the village when i get out of the lanes onto the main road theres never anyone in my mirrors. Plenty of people on this forum have been in all sorts of cars with me and i dont think any of them would describe me as scary.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Vikingxl For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Sunday 19th February 2012)

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingxl View Post
    Nothing to do with altering the laws of physics mate you just need to know how to drive one. I stick to the speed limit these days but strangely whenever anyone tailgates me through the village when i get out of the lanes onto the main road theres never anyone in my mirrors. Plenty of people on this forum have been in all sorts of cars with me and i dont think any of them would describe me as scary.
    One of the reasons i wasn't getting any better mpg is that i was coming from a car that had 230bhp(ish) that weighed around 1300kg to a car with 163bhp that weighed just over 2000kgs. So i agree that with experience you would learn how to get the best from it.

Not that i was really bothered that it wasn't that quick, as it was so big and comfy you forgot about it.

I will say that it is by no means a slow car though, my mrs had a focus 1.6 diesel as a courtesy car a while back and the xc90 was definatly quicker than that. On the whole i was surprised how well it went considering the size and weight of it.

and they make a good noise for a diesel.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for all the comments.

Is it the manual or auto boxes that seem to have the problems?
    62' V60 D3 R Design
    62' V60 T6 AWD R Design polestar'd

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Warning on the Euro 3 163 hp geartronics - they have a serious 'death lurch' when pulling out, what I mean is that when you put your foot on the accelerator nothing happens for a few seconds and then it will leap into action. Nothing that a good remap will sort out

Also we have just seen the worst case of injector seizure on a 2004, 3 seized injectors and 2 in a very bad state, all because the owners wife has been feeding it poor fuel (ie supermarket fuel)

Other than that - fab car x

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathlm View Post
    Warning on the Euro 3 163 hp geartronics - they have a serious 'death lurch' when pulling out, what I mean is that when you put your foot on the accelerator nothing happens for a few seconds and then it will leap into action. Nothing that a good remap will sort out

Also we have just seen the worst case of injector seizure on a 2004, 3 seized injectors and 2 in a very bad state, all because the owners wife has been feeding it poor fuel (ie supermarket fuel)

Other than that - fab car x
    My Boss had a 2004 XC90 D5 'Executive', fully loaded beast with built in DVD screens in the back. Hope it wasn't the same one as that was fed a diet of pure home brew bio-diesel...

Thread Information