Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RICA parameters

This user has no status

Thanks
    I wonder if the rica 304 map alters ignition advance at all?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackBeast For This Useful Post:

cherry1809 (Thursday 16th February 2012)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
    Yes it does. 100% guaranteed. Any claim otherwise would be pure misinformation and completely inaccurate.
    ======================================
    My current car: Volvo V60 D3 R-Design (Saville Grey)

Turbo-Tuner USB
    http://www.turbo-tuner.co.uk

RICA ECU Upgrades
    http://www.rica-uk.com

RICA on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/RI...77897022224267

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turbo-tuner For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Monday 20th February 2012),BlackBeast (Thursday 16th February 2012),claymore (Thursday 16th February 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    It does FACT.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hamish For This Useful Post:

BlackBeast (Thursday 16th February 2012)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    With the weak actuator i was only getting 10psi (0.68bar) even with the remap.

With another actuator and mbc i could still only get 12psi. No matter how much i turned it up, it wouldn't go past 12, it just seemed to bring the boost in quicker. Very aggressive and felt very quick but was actually slower as the boost would hit 12psi very quickly but then steadily drop from 2.5k untill the redline.

With the actuator thats currently on it and with the mbc removed it will now hit 14psi and hold untill the redline. Not quite the 1.1bar (almost 16psi) that its supposed to but my local volvo place reckon that because the cat is now 13 years old and on 113k miles, that its not flowing as efficiently as it could and fitting a new one would help get that missing 2psi back. New hoses would help too.
    could just be your turbo is inefficient

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
    could just be your turbo is inefficient
    Could be, cars done 113k now on the original turbo so its not going to be running 100%.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo-tuner View Post
    Yes it does. 100% guaranteed. Any claim otherwise would be pure misinformation and completely inaccurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    It does FACT.
    Any ignition tables for us to compare? That's all you've confirmed in those 2 posts is that ignition advance has been changed somewhere in the ignition table. That might mean as little as adding 1 degree at 0% load at 500rpm lol.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Any ignition tables for us to compare? That's all you've confirmed in those 2 posts is that ignition advance has been changed somewhere in the ignition table. That might mean as little as adding 1 degree at 0% load at 500rpm lol.
    No I won't post up ignition tables for you to compare. As I said earlier, anyone who claims RICA is not changing ignition timing is misinformed and completely incorrect. If they are making such claims, then they are either not comparing a genuine RICA 304 map, or the software being used to make the comparison is incorrect, or the person making the claim simply hasn't got a clue. Either way, I don't really care because I know for a fact that RICA change the ignition timing quite significantly on the RICA 304 map.

BTW, one thing you need to understand is that you don't change things just for the sake of changing them. If a specific timing value is optimal at the required boost and fueling levels, then why would you change it? You can measure the effects of timing change on the dyno, so you might for example back off the timing by 1 deg and see what happens. Or you might advance it by 1 deg and see what happens. Point is, it's entirely possible that at a specific load point, with a specific boost pressure and specific fueling, the original ignition timing value may actually be optimal. I'm not saying it is or isn't - I'm just saying it is possible, therefore not changing a value can be a perfectly valid thing to do.

Turbo-Tuner USB

RICA ECU Upgrades

RICA on Facebook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to turbo-tuner For This Useful Post:

oblark (Friday 17th February 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo-tuner View Post

BTW, one thing you need to understand is that you don't change things just for the sake of changing them. If a specific timing value is optimal at the required boost and fueling levels, then why would you change it? You can measure the effects of timing change on the dyno, so you might for example back off the timing by 1 deg and see what happens. Or you might advance it by 1 deg and see what happens. Point is, it's entirely possible that at a specific load point, with a specific boost pressure and specific fueling, the original ignition timing value may actually be optimal. I'm not saying it is or isn't - I'm just saying it is possible, therefore not changing a value can be a perfectly valid thing to do.
    Adam, please don't patronise me!

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Adam, please don't patronise me!
    I'm not patronising you. I have no idea how much you know or don't know on the subject. For the benefit of others reading who don't know, I wanted to clarify why not every value has to be changed.

Perhaps it could have been worded differently, but in no way was it ever intended to be patronising.

Turbo-Tuner USB

RICA ECU Upgrades

RICA on Facebook

Volvo sucks....... lots of air
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cherry1809 View Post
    Calm down mate. I'm running an Autometer anologue and a Blitz SBC. Both are giving the same boost pressure readings. I never said it was a problem with the map, I said it started all of a sudden after a few months of running fine. Hence there being another problem that I asked what you think it could be. Taking time out of your weekend? You have very short weekends. Turning down the boost made no difference by the way (yes I did try) So that led me to,
    1. Believe I did have other issues.
    2. Think that unless your getting paid, Your not that bothered.
    Prove me wrong and offer some useful advice.
    What problems are you having ? What setup ? If you have been doing well before, then basically it wont be the mapping issue. I had my share of troubleshooting when going past 1.4 bars, changed the following :
    Turbo, manifold, fuel pump, intercooler pipes, BCS, distributor & rotor, plugs, ignition module, fuel grade, MAF, the whole exhaust system, etc and the final culprit was the HT leads (which looked new). At 1,2 bars the problems didn't show at all, so that was the confusion.
    Last edited by glock19; Monday 20th February 2012 at 00:07. Reason: add "the whole exhaust system"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to glock19 For This Useful Post:

cherry1809 (Monday 20th February 2012)

This status has no user
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
    What problems are you having ? What setup ? If you have been doing well before, then basically it wont be the mapping issue. I had my share of troubleshooting when going past 1.4 bars, changed the following :
    Turbo, manifold, fuel pump, intercooler pipes, BCS, distributor & rotor, plugs, ignition module, fuel grade, MAF, the whole exhaust system, etc and the final culprit was the HT leads (which looked new). At 1,2 bars the problems didn't show at all, so that was the confusion.
    Getting some sort of cut around 4k revs.

Running 1.2 bar using the Blitz DSBC, Cat back stainless but the standard flexi at the front has a slight blow, New leads, Cap, Rotor arm and plugs, All new RIP and vac lines, Changed the coil and run on Optimax. Doesn't do it in the lower gears. Makes me think the fuel pumps on it's way out and can't keep a constant pressure.
    Flying moose was running more boost than me with the same controller and map, So I know it's not the map too.
    Last edited by cherry1809; Monday 20th February 2012 at 13:39.

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

Volvo sucks....... lots of air
    Thanks
    Have you tried exhanging the MAF with Fyling Moose ? Simple changover compared to the Fuel Pump, for trial purposes. However the fuel pump is also a suspect in this area.

Thread Information