Join Today
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Yes in Shropshire - I don't really want to have to run around the earth looking for someone to do the boring work - LOL
    The best one I know is in Wem

http://www.motorcast.com/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volvostorm For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Friday 10th February 2012),woody (Saturday 11th February 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Attachment 12636
    CV Boots, Caliper Carrier Bolts and water gasket received. Cheers Rufe. Time for another late night soon.
    Owned since 2002. '96 Green 855-R, Manual M56H conversion by Russ @ RT Mech, 82mm rebore, THS Rods, Wiseco Piston kit, Decked Block, Machine work was completed by: www.mandjltd.co.uk, Refurbed head inc skim & 8 new valves, ME7 Ex Manifold, RICA304, Forge Blanking plate, 302mm set-up, PowerFlex Top & Bottom, Front Strut Brace, Miltek Cat-Back, R.I.P, IPD Cone Filter.

Latest update: 10000 miles as at 19/05/13.

To do: Lots (but don't tell Mrs Woody!)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Yes in Shropshire - I don't really want to have to run around the earth looking for someone to do the boring work - LOL
    I found a cylinder head place in Bilston, couple of old engineers there so felt better when I dropped it off. The quality of the skim was beautiful. Not sure what other services they provided though. Head skim cost me £25

1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Tuesday 14th February 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Lovely finish. I read an article recently where the author said to key-in the service of freshly skimmed head with an abrasive paper/cloth to let the gasket grip. I could see what he meant but I haven't followed suit.

Anyone else heard this before?
    Owned since 2002. '96 Green 855-R, Manual M56H conversion by Russ @ RT Mech, 82mm rebore, THS Rods, Wiseco Piston kit, Decked Block, Machine work was completed by: www.mandjltd.co.uk, Refurbed head inc skim & 8 new valves, ME7 Ex Manifold, RICA304, Forge Blanking plate, 302mm set-up, PowerFlex Top & Bottom, Front Strut Brace, Miltek Cat-Back, R.I.P, IPD Cone Filter.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Looking good Woody, shame I ma not at Lyneham I would have enjoyed getting my hands dirty on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    I'm retaining the crank as I plan to make a decorative lamp out of it in its memory!
    This bit worries me............... I taught you electrics! lol

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackey View Post
    Looking good Woody, shame I ma not at Lyneham I would have enjoyed getting my hands dirty on this one!

Welcome to the forum!
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Slackey (Tuesday 14th February 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackey View Post
    Don't flatter yourself Slackey, you only taught us 'Heavies' DC Electrics

Welcome by the way mate. Have you had an Ovlov in the past? I thought you were a Ducati man!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Attachment 12647
    1st boot on.

Attachment 12648
    CV Boots done. Cheers Drew.

Attachment 12649
    ME7 Manifold fitted.

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Looking spot on is this build mate your making it look easy lol

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

This user has no status

Thanks
    Don't flatter yourself Slackey, you only taught us 'Heavies' DC Electrics

Welcome by the way mate. Have you had an Ovlov in the past? I thought you were a Ducati man!
    I have still got one Woody, there are some pics in my introduction post >>>Intro<<<

Hey when I taught you that electrical phase I taught you all I knew....... thats why it took less than a week!

And as for the Duke....... I could not resist a pic...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Slackey For This Useful Post:

woody (Wednesday 15th February 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Attachment 12660
    Turbo fitted.

Attachment 12661

Before I packed up for the day, I tried a test fit of the heat shields and their springs. Well what can I say! I was in biff mode and even emails to Russ couldn't set them straight in my head. Luckily Google images came to my rescue. All in all, what a mad set-up!

I'll post pics of the Turbo area complete tomorrow.

Just cant keep away from the
    Ovlovs lol
    Thanks
    cracking write up mate, im gonna be following this closely, soon be me doin this! lol just a question, what was that tool you used to torque up the head, really interested me that, also fancy doin a step by step guide for me on the rebuild haha
    Back with a 1997 S70 T5 SE

17. The Following User Says Thank You to daza-b For This Useful Post:

woody (Wednesday 15th February 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daza-b View Post
    cracking write up mate, im gonna be following this closely, soon be me doin this! lol just a question, what was that tool you used to torque up the head, really interested me that, also fancy doin a step by step guide for me on the rebuild haha

Cheers Daz. The tool I used was called a 'Torque Angle Dial Indicator'. It's not an exact science but it enables you to turn the head bolts 130deg on the third and final stage. The item on the flexi attachment is a magnet which wasn't much use on an Alloy head! There are other types that use locking bars and these are better. Top tip though. Before you install the new stretch bolts, make sure the underside of the bolt head is lubricated. This will prevent the ominous cracking sound and make the 130deg turn easier to perform.

With reference to a step-by-step guide, 'NO' lol. Serious though, I'm no expert and my engine hasn't started yet!!!! Everything I've learnt has been gleaned from this cracking site and trawling Google/Images! If you need any advice though, I'll help where I can.

Good luck and remember, it's fun and extremely satisfying!

Ovlovs lol
    Thanks
    Cheers Daz. The tool I used was called a 'Torque Angle Dial Indicator'. It's not an exact science but it enables you to turn the head bolts 130deg on the third and final stage. The item on the flexi attachment is a magnet which wasn't much use on an Alloy head! There are other types that use locking bars and these are better. Top tip though. Before you install the new stretch bolts, make sure the underside of the bolt head is lubricated. This will prevent the ominous cracking sound and make the 130deg turn easier to perform.

With reference to a step-by-step guide, 'NO' lol. Serious though, I'm no expert and my engine hasn't started yet!!!! Everything I've learnt has been gleaned from this cracking site and trawling Google/Images! If you need any advice though, I'll help where I can.

Good luck and remember, it's fun and extremely satisfying!
    cheers bud got one of them on order now, also subscribing to this thread so can keep an eye, good luck on the rest of its and if you get stuck with anything ill help where i can

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Attachment 12663
    Another night done. Turbo plumbed in.

Attachment 12664
    Turbo oil and water pipes plumbed in.

Attachment 12665
    Ready to lift

Attachment 12666

Attachment 12667

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Attachment 12699
    All lined up!

Attachment 12700
    Nearly home

Attachment 12701

Attachment 12702
    And, Relax!

Attachment 12703

Attachment 12704

Attachment 12705
    Nearly done

Attachment 12706
    IPD filter being fitted. I was quite impressed with the quality of this product. I had trouble getting enough slack in the MAF Cable, so i decided to re-route the main loom a little and mangaed to get enough slack for it not to be like a piano string!
    Last edited by woody; Sunday 19th February 2012 at 19:01.

Ovlovs lol
    Thanks
    looking promising mate, are u at an army barracks? i wish i had all the ramps and stuff, im doing all work on the floor lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daza-b View Post
    looking promising mate, are u at an army barracks? i wish i had all the ramps and stuff, im doing all work on the floor lol
    I'm very fortunate to be at RAF Lyneham and it's the hangar I work in. Lunch times and late nights! Had to get a move on with this project as after April, we are out of here! We are some of the few left to close the hangar. End of an era.

Ovlovs lol
    Thanks
    good luck with it buddy

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Loving that little mobile lift, mod selling the stuff off when they close it?

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Thread Information