Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Revving at own will ????

After a dead battery issue and my clocks all sowing on me! She has decided to start revving her self randomly on tick over also fan switching it self on on start up?? Could this be down to the fact that I haven't replaced the clocks yet? Oh and just to make matters little worse not boosting at 1 bar decided to hold out at 0.7 ish! And ideas peeps?

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Have you checked all the intake piping for leaks?

Also there could be a problem with the Idle Control Valve sticking open (causing the revving)

And what's wrong with the clocks?
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Friday 3rd February 2012 at 13:20.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    Have you checked all the intake piping for leaks?

Also there could be a problem with the Idle Control Valve sticking open (causing the revving)

And what's wrong with the clocks?
    What's the best way to check for leaks? Ive looked at the pipes and there is no visual breaks etc.

Were do I locate idol control valve and what's best poss remedy?

Clocks are caput! Checked all fuses, relays and ignition, all appear to be fine so think I just need to replace them??

boooooooooooooooooooooooost
    Thanks
    Check your vac aswel my tree split and that happend to me!
    For boost leak either go to your local roling road place and they do a dye test for leaks if not block up your airfilter with a aerosol can or somthing make sure its tight loads of jubilee clips!!!!! Also block off dump valve to and using a compressor fill your boost pipes with the psi your running. Spray soapy water and check for bubbles if its major you will hear it.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Youll have a leak out of the hole at the bottom of the intercooler, its meant to be there
    850R gone
    850 T5R now on the road, manual swap

16t
    Blues
    Ported inlet and exhaust 3" tb
    3"dp 2.5" system
    304 remap
    295 whp

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2425348

boooooooooooooooooooooooost
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Dan850r;458785]Youll have a leak out of the hole at the bottom of the intercooler, its meant

O yes block that too lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    If the fan is cutting in on start up I'd say that the ecu is going to fail safe due a fault somewhere. I wouldn't mind betting it's an intermittent fault which is causing your intermittent reving too.. Is the battery in good condition and well charged? It maybe something simple like a poor earth to the battery or the battery/alternator is no good.

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

This user has no status

Thanks
    i had a similar problem with my car and it turned out to be the coolant temp sensor.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers peeps for all your replys gona go through them this week and will let ya know of any remedy

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just to add to injury when I start car up for first time in the day it's spluttering also if you try to accelerate it's like car gets starved of fuel or something and revs drop causing car to almost cut out? This lasts for approximately 5 minutes then runs fine also fault in engine electronic system light has came on any ideas ?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    i had a similar problem with my car and it turned out to be the coolant temp sensor.
    Changed thermo T**T along with temp sensor about to top up coolant along with a brew and a quick prayer in the hope that we get a good result of no fan and random revving! Hope he's looking down on the beast today

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I believe that to be a RESULT!! however fault light still on any ideas on getting rid of this or will it go off itself mmm?

Volvo sucks....... lots of air
    Thanks
    The DTC is recorded into the ECM. You'll need to remove ECM (or battery) for maybe an hour to clear it. If the car's in the shop, you can always erase it with a Scan Tool

About your clock, maybe some connectors behind the intruments are broken or dislodged. You'll need to open the top of the dash to check.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    where is the temp sensor on the 850 t5? and where is the fan switch? as my fan runs all the time and for about a minute once ignition is switched off

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jayeastanglia View Post
    where is the temp sensor on the 850 t5? and where is the fan switch? as my fan runs all the time and for about a minute once ignition is switched off
    That's sounds same problem I had sometimes the fan coming on at start to! The temp sensor is located underneath thermostat housing hence why I changed both thermostat and sensor. In my eyes saves a job in future. Resulting in no fan and running sweet again

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
    The DTC is recorded into the ECM. You'll need to remove ECM (or battery) for maybe an hour to clear it. If the car's in the shop, you can always erase it with a Scan Tool

About your clock, maybe some connectors behind the intruments are broken or dislodged. You'll need to open the top of the dash to check.
    Yea think ill disconnect battery for a while. The clocks them selves were actually broken so replaced them. This now clocks working, this pointed out to me that the temp sensor, with the gauge randomly changing along with fan on start up was faulty. Now all changed running sweet

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peteT5 View Post
    That's sounds same problem I had sometimes the fan coming on at start to! The temp sensor is located underneath thermostat housing hence why I changed both thermostat and sensor. In my eyes saves a job in future. Resulting in no fan and running sweet again
    Dont suppose u know the oem part number as my localish parts place say theres 2 on there system..

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mine revs on its own everytime a BMW comes within 20 yards...

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jayeastanglia View Post
    Dont suppose u know the oem part number as my localish parts place say theres 2 on there system..
    The place I got parts from went off registration however number I had and gave them took them to same part which was 9186486.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    Mine revs on its own everytime a BMW comes within 20 yards...
    Strange that I loose total control of my sense's and right foot when my car's automated idiot in BMW sensor kicks in too lol

Thread Information