Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

what should i do first?

hi all
    well i have now got my v70 (phase 2 t5 auto) and need to know what to do next ?

what should i service/replace to get it back to a good starting point?

also what is the pcv valve?

also there are a lot of abbriviations thrown about what do they all mean lolol

and where are the pollen/cabin filter(s) located?

thanks Rob
    its not broke its airing its diff!
    owner of a 2001 phase 2 v70 t5 auto!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Depending on service history, i would start with a full service. Get your garage to run over the car with you, getting underneath to point out any nastys.

PCV FAQ.

What does PCV stand for?

PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation. (It is NOT a valve)

What does the PCV system do?

The PCV system lets the combustion blow-by escape from the crankcase. It does this by giving the gasses a place to escape and this is aided by the vacuum in the intake manifold / pre turbo piping. To over simplify it, the PCV system sucks out blow-by from the engine.

What is blow-by?

Blow-by is the gasses and vapours that escape from the combustion chamber, past the rings and into the crankcase.

What does the PCV system comprise of?

The main component of the PCV system is an Oil Separator or “breather box”, to let the oil vapour from the blow-by circulate back into the sump. This is then connected to a device called a Flametrap*, which stops backfires from the intake manifold from entering the crankcase, causing an explosion. The Flametrap consists of a hose with a tiny strainer in it (around the size of a coin), which is then connected to a plastic divider which allows two hoses to connect to it. These hoses are then connected to back into the intake manifold. * On turbo models the flametrap is omitted, and instead the breather box is connected via a hose to the air intake before the turbo.

What are the symptoms of a clogged PCV system?

Generally the oil seals in the engine will start leaking oil (in extreme cases). The most common ones to leak are the cam seal, the oil filler cap and sometimes the rear main seal. Other symptoms include smoking from the engine bay whilst driving (Due to the oil filler cap seal leaking oil onto the exhaust) or sometimes the oil dipstick pops out (too much pressure in the crankcase - but not if you have the latest modified dipstick, with two 'O' rings instead of one.

How can I test my PCV system?

With the engine warmed up and at idle, pull out your engine oil dipstick about 2". If you see white smoke 'breathing' out the tube then its time to replace.

How can I clean my PCV system?

Its best not to clean as it will only bide youi a small amount of time. Hoses will inevitably be cracked, brittle, soft and in need of replacement. The breather box is located under the inlet manifold. I recommend that ALL the PCV system hoses are replaced.
    Parts are OE only. 850 about £75. Classic V70 £140 - £155. R models is slightly more.
    Allow 2 days due to accessibilty of some of the hoses is difficult (lots of swearing) and you may want to rectify other problems you find on the way, like damaged wiring lumes, split vac pipes etc. The inlet manifold must also be replaced as the manifold needs to come off on the V70. 850 it doesn't.

Pollen filter is Under the passenger front dash, behind the glovebox.

Regards, Lee.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 30th January 2012 at 18:58.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Bigrobv70 (Monday 30th January 2012),smithson007 (Tuesday 31st January 2012),Wobbly Dave (Tuesday 31st January 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    thanks for that
    easy layman terms suit me well

i looked under it today up on a ramp and its spotless to be fair bar a little corrosion on exhaust hangers
    car has fsh (mostly main stealer) wth only 92k on it
    no venting fron engine at all to be fair (from either dipstick or oil filler)

Rob
    its not broke its airing its diff!
    owner of a 2001 phase 2 v70 t5 auto!

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Good writeup Lee, although i would like to add that its the inlet manifold gasket that needs to be replaced, not the whole thing . Often with P2s, its just a small banjo bolt on the inlet manifold that blocks, leaving the rest of the system clean. To check, remove the airbox to turbo tube. On it theres a large valve/nipple with an electrical connection and a pair of pipes attached. Remove it from the main pipe and inspect. If its clean and dry, then the banjo bolt will be a good target for finding the blockage.
    I have a thread on the subject... http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38240
    Which may be of some use.
    Other things to check are hub bolts - often the cause of knocking when selecting drive or coming on/off the throttle and wishbone bushes, which are usually the other cause of knocking from the front.
    Last edited by M-R-P; Monday 30th January 2012 at 21:29.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Sorry, that was a typo. Missed out the word Gasket.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information