Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Exclamation Locking Fuel cap

Hi, A little word of warning to all .........

With the price of petrol going up so fast, I thought it would be best to fit a locking fuel cap. So about 6 months ago I researched and bought a cap from race parts on eBay . Big seller lots of good feed-backs.
    Received quickly and fitted it. Thought no more about it until EML on dash and the problems I have suffered over the last few months.
    Looking through my Haynes as you do, I was on the emissions section ,and saw A bit about being a sealed fuel system....thought I had better check fuel cap for any problems. Took off and sucked ...Vented ,Dam!!!!!!!! rechecked advert on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3603969829...84.m1423.l2649

Locking Fuel/Petrol cap VOLVO V.70 Break (97-)

Messaged Race parts
    Dear race..parts,1996-1998 V70s have an EVAP system along with many other Volvo's.As a lay person I did not understand the implications of the emissions systems used by Volvo. I wanted a locking petrol cap and a search gave me yours, I purchased it and fitted it to my V70 1998. I was having problems a bit later with poor running, the engine management light on . I called out RAC codes showed a MAF circuit problem bought one and fitted . Still emissions light came on. Lots of research later.....sealed fuel cap essential,otherwise ECU problems /running faults. I have rechecked your advert, there is no disclaiming by saying vented and then boasting of the advantages of a vented cap ,when it costs money and time and worry, for Joe public to find out ...your said part will not suit most if not all Volvo emission systems . Please check with Volvo and alter you advert. It is misleading and potentially dangerous to the Car. I will be taking this up with EBay.£5.45 +P/P has cost me lots.
    They replied,

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I have issued you with a full refund and there is no need to return anything to us. We can only apologise for any inconvenience caused and we will be looking into this matter. Kind Wishes Emma 24/7 Customer Support Team

Needless to say 5 days on and no refund.

Cleared light refitted original cap....drove nicely about for 100 miles motorway gave 30.2 mpg on run home. Switched off restarted to check ,light back on again, god Knows what else might be at fault now ,perhaps influenced by the vented cap and my EVAP and other systems not working? for hundreds of miles.
    Data cable and CD on its way I shall laptop the codes when I take delivery.

Back on eBay still selling them there fuel caps, and EBay has not gotten back to me yet.

Sorry for being so long winded , but angry at them and me for my lack off Knowledge and their misleading add.
    Still driving with light on ,1000 tick over slight uneven running and fuel dropped to 26/28mpg mixed driving ....Kim

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I don't understand why you'd need a locking fuel cap in the first place - given that the fuel flap locks anyway?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This status has no user
    Thanks
    I was thinking that, But pikeys are persistant.
    If they can't get to the petrol they'll just hack your cat off instead. Lol.

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cherry1809 View Post
    they won't get my cat lol

This status has no user
    Thanks
    Lol. They won't get mine soon, Trouble is they'll be so disapointed when they get to the scrappy and only get 50p for the mild steel shell. Hahahaha.

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    As Wobbly said, why did you feel you needed a locking cap?
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cherry1809 View Post
    They snapped the locking section on Christine's filler flap some time ago so she's minus one at the moment. I'm not fitting an after market one, I'll keep looking for one.
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

This user has no status
    Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    As Wobbly said, why did you feel you needed a locking cap?
    Had my Mondeo Locking cover bent open outside my house.. must have been disturbed because no fuel taken. so got into the habit of buying locking caps ,Kim

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Blimey - that's a bit fierce.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Think you'll find that your car has an Anti siphon device built into the filler neck. Doing away with the need for a locking cap (they were just problematic anyway).
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

kim (Friday 27th January 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Thumbs up

You are right ...I tried to get a pipe down ,and you cannot access the fuel, shame you always find out these things latter when you have a problem.
    You cannot drain the tank as the pump seems to have a pressure sensor type of device ,that stops the fuel from coming/pumping out.

You Know they are still running that same advert on eBay!!!
    Lets hope a good few people read our thread.

Thank you for your reply, Happy days , Kim

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    No problem.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    nowadays they just drill the fuel tank and drain it!

Thread Information