Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

TCS light coming on

Hello.

im not sure what the TCS actually does as i dont think i have ever seen the light on or felt power cutting or brakes being applied whilst driving my car.

the last few times i turned the car on the light is on. i can only assume this means a sensor is knackers or brakes warn or something?

any ideas, i searched but nothing came up!
    cheers

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    TCS runs from the ABS ring. there could be a dodgy connection somewhere, a ring could be knackered or, worst case, the ABS module could be failing.
    Since you say thet it comes on when turning a tight corner, I'd say there was a dodgy connection between the ABS ring and wherever it connects to on the loom. try disconnecting cleaning and reconnecting and see what happens.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    TCS runs from the ABS ring. there could be a dodgy connection somewhere, a ring could be knackered or, worst case, the ABS module could be failing.
    Since you say thet it comes on when turning a tight corner, I'd say there was a dodgy connection between the ABS ring and wherever it connects to on the loom. try disconnecting cleaning and reconnecting and see what happens.
    i doesnt come on on bends, i mean when i turn the car on, it switch the ignition on. i agree it might be a sensor.

on a side note does the tcs do anything?

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    ive yet to have an 850 where the traction control works at all, it does on the v70's a bit too much so i always turn it off

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manback View Post
    i doesnt come on on bends, i mean when i turn the car on, it switch the ignition on. i agree it might be a sensor.

on a side note does the tcs do anything?
    Sorry, misread the post The TCS light is supposed to come on and then go off to show that it's "working". If it stays on, there's a problem somewhere. Best to get the codes read.
    Not sure how effective the tcs is on an 850. On mine, it gets very involved and does all sorts of things in an attempt to stop the car scrabbling about. Daft really, if youre brave enough to light one of these things up, you should know how to deal with the consequences!
    Luckily, the DSTC OFF button is right in front of the gear stick on mine
    Last edited by M-R-P; Monday 9th January 2012 at 12:16.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I always turn mine off as soon as I start the car too, it's a horrid feeling when it kicks in. Easier to switch it off and just to back off the right pedal a tad if you don't want to spin the wheels, or leave 50ft black lines if you like buying tyres. The me7 traction control is pretty harsh, cos' like all tcs systems, it will scense the spinning wheel via the abs sensor, and apply the brakes slightly on that wheel to divert the power through the diff to the other wheel which in theory should have more grip. Not sure how far the tcs on the 850 goes with its accelorator cable, wether it cuts fuel or spark as a last resort, but the me7 cuts back the throttle back as a last resort through the ets. With yours though, does the ABS work ok? If you have a bad sensor then the ABS won't work either, they usually go together as they all run through the same system.

Thread Information