Join Today

Thread: Axle ping.

This user has a status
    Thanks

Axle ping.

I think I have a case of axle ping,

The other week I Fitted a new front offside hub due to a knackered wheel bearing & now there is a clunk coming from this area,
    If I put it in first with the brakes or hand brake on depress the clutch a bit give it about a second it clunks then if i do the same straight after but in reverse it also does the same. Sometimes I can here it at low speeds with the window oping just after changing gear.

Just hoping it is axle ping & not a worn drive shaft! I have checked the drive shaft bolts & there not loose but I must admit at the time I didn't know they are meant to be renewed each time you take them out.

I have been reading about fitting the XC90 bolts has anyone done this & had success? Thanks.
    My03 S60R, 340bhp Rica remap, Tinted windows, Stainless 2.5" cat back exhaust system, FMIC.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    The hub bolts are known to work loose, mine needs retightning every month or so. The xc bolt has a rubber washer that helps prevent this problem.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

s_cowen (Sunday 8th January 2012)

This user has a status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    The hub bolts are known to work loose, mine needs retightning every month or so. The xc bolt has a rubber washer that helps prevent this problem.
    Great thanks do you know how much they cost?
    My03 S60R, 340bhp Rica remap, Tinted windows, Stainless 2.5" cat back exhaust system, FMIC.

Thanks
    No idea mate, won't be much from main stealer - 5 to 10 quid I imagine.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scowen View Post
    Great thanks do you know how much they cost?
    If you contact Rufe via the forum he'll do them at a very good price

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Sunday 8th January 2012),s_cowen (Sunday 8th January 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I replaced the standard bolts on my MY2003 V70 with XC90 bolts from Rufe before Christmas and that solved the problem for me. It's the flared rubber bushes that have the right effect. The bolts are stretch bolts which can then be replaced by standard ones (at a lower price) in future, providing you keep the rubber bushes and they are still serviceable.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to micken For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    About £35 if I remember right....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SomeBloke For This Useful Post:

This user has a status
    Thanks
    I have sorted the ping out

I tuck the bolt out cleaned the threads up & added some thread lock & made my own rubber washer & it seems to of sorted it!

At least I now know its defiantly axle ping & will be ordering some new bolts this week,

Thanks for everyone's input

This user has no status
    Thanks

I tuck the bolt out cleaned the threads up & added some thread lock & made my own rubber washer & it seems to of sorted it!

At least I now know its defiantly axle ping & will be ordering some new bolts this week,

If this problem re-occurrs, try the upper engine stabiliser or lower gearbox stabiliser. They can cause a clunking on and off the throttle.

Also, check your exhaust system is straight and not catching the heat shields or brackets. Mine looks as though it's been knocking on these parts and could be causing noise too.

Well done for making your own rubber washers, I wish I had thought of this. XC90 bolts are approx. £15 EACH from the stealers (horrendous price).

Ed
    Sorry, nothing Swedish here...

Thanks

Excellent, I will now make some rubber washers at work tomorrow.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    Excellent, I will now make some rubber washers at work tomorrow.
    Why would you wanna do that? Don't be a tight git and just buy the proper bolts from Volvo. They are £32 a pair inc VAT (part# 30714142) and you must torque them to 50Nm. Job done! I mean, come on, £32 isn't exactly breaking the bank is it? If you do the job properly and replace whatever needs replacing then you'll only have to do the job once.

One question, How much torque will you apply to your bodged washers? Hope they don't break, tear, fall to bits and wreck your newly replaced Wheel bearings/CV joints!

Come on guys, use the proper gear - don't patch these cars up. Thats what the Saxo boys do.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Sunday 8th January 2012 at 22:15.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

JimmyBurnWorld (Thursday 19th September 2013),M-R-P (Wednesday 11th January 2012)

This user has a status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Why would you wanna do that? Don't be a tight git and just buy the proper bolts from Volvo. They are £32 a pair inc VAT (part# 30714142) and you must torque them to 50Nm. Job done! I mean, come on, £32 isn't exactly breaking the bank is it? If you do the job properly and replace whatever needs replacing then you'll only have to do the job once.

One question, How much torque will you apply to your bodged washers? Hope they don't break, tear, fall to bits and wreck your newly replaced Wheel bearings/CV joints!

Come on guys, use the proper gear - don't patch these cars up. Thats what the Saxo boys do.
    Do not worry mate I will be ordering some this week as I said in my previous post,
    I just done it to make sure it was axle ping & it was.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    What about you Martin? Still gonna make up some washers and do a bodge job?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    What about you Martin? Still gonna make up some washers and do a bodge job?
    Haha, only just caught up with this thread Well here's the thing, I fix large machinery for a living and so I can get my hands on better quality parts than Volvo would supply, for free I won't cut corners in the car I carry my wife and child around in

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Hi just found this thread i am a bit slow on this one!!!!.
    the xc90 bolts look like there is just a rubber washer fitted but its not just a rubber washer there is a steel tube inside the rubber where the bolt passes thought which will crush down.So a tap washer or likes of is not the same.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cowen View Post
    I think I have a case of axle ping,

The other week I Fitted a new front offside hub due to a knackered wheel bearing & now there is a clunk coming from this area,
    If I put it in first with the brakes or hand brake on depress the clutch a bit give it about a second it clunks then if i do the same straight after but in reverse it also does the same. Sometimes I can here it at low speeds with the window oping just after changing gear.

Just hoping it is axle ping & not a worn drive shaft! I have checked the drive shaft bolts & there not loose but I must admit at the time I didn't know they are meant to be renewed each time you take them out.

I have been reading about fitting the XC90 bolts has anyone done this & had success? Thanks.

do you still have old hub. am after one to mock ip some new calipers

Thread Information