Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Checking the reluctor rings question

Lo all, what exactly do I have to take off to see the magic rings. Am I right in thinking i have to take wheel then discs and hub off. Thats a mighty strong looking centre nut there

Mas, has never taken a hub off
    ~~ 02 S60 D5 'Mile Muncher' (sold) ~~
    ~~ 97 V70 T5 'Speedy Swede' (sold) ~~
    ~~ loads of other cars (sold) ~~

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    First time for everything, grab yourself a Haynes book of lies and some shredded wheat....
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Tomcat (Friday 6th January 2012)

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    First time for everything, grab yourself a Haynes book of lies and some shredded wheat....
    Lmao!....

You'll also need a big ass breaker bar and some gamma ray radiation to bulk up those muscles and give you that healthy green glow.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Much as I know y0u guys will want to give me a gentle ribbing , I have managed to see the front rings so far with a torch. sorry pics arent very focused.

The teeth are all there but you cant really see the rest of the ring to look for cracks. The bit of the CV joint next to the rings is black paint from what I can see and is all rusted and peeling off. The rubber boots are fine as they were replaced for a previous MOT.

As a result of the rust/paint there is lots of crud between the teeth if you see what I mean. I cant imagine this is acceptable and a bit of googling suggests it isnt.

Would it be acceptable to spray brake cleaner in there to try and remove the crud or would you think take the hub and disc off first and do a real proper brush style clean up ?

I did find the ABS sensor and look at the wiring and the connector they seem in good order. again there seems to be crud , maybe just mud between the sensor and the teeth but we do of course live down a muddy track !

I will happily buy a manual but how in your experience would you proceed.

I checked the hub nut I take it i need to buy a rather deep 36mm socket socket and a breaker bar as the standard depth socket doesnt go on there. Thats the end of the job for this weekend then as im not going to halfrauds to get ripped off.

Would a 1/2" drive and breaker bar be sufficient or do folk use 3/4 or 1" for these hub nuts I might as well buy the right thing for the job ! . I know Andy snapped a breaker bar on my Rover 75

Ive done nothing but buy car bits this month , oil filters , tools bluetooth odb thingy all I need now are skills

Cheers

Mas
    Last edited by mas; Friday 6th January 2012 at 12:57.

Thanks
    Sorry to take the p1ss mate. It's something I havn't had to tackle yet so I can't offer much help. One thing I've learned, working on volvos is, when you get the opportunity to dismantle something and give it a clean/paint/grease, take it and do a proper job. If you half-do a job and the half you didn't do goes t1ts up, you'll be kicking yourself.
    Keep bumping the thread mate, somebody's bound to know
    Good luck.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Since when were we ever really sorry to take the mick on here

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mas For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Friday 6th January 2012)

Thanks
    True

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    While the car is on its wheels, remove the wheels plastic centre. Get a 36mm socket, 1/2" breaker bar, stand on it or use a bit of metal tubing to shift the nut. Loosen it a bit.
    Jack the car up. off with the wheel.
    Undo the drop link 1 end, if you leave that in place, the shock will be under tension and can cause problems. Slacken the 36mm nut a little more but don't remove it yet.
    Leave the nut on, put the socket on it then give it a tap with a mallet (don't hit the nut itself or the shafts splined ends). With gentle persuasion the shaft should slip out of the hub. When it starts to move freely, remove socket, and nut.
    Then, remove the 2 bolts holding the shock to the hub. Nudge the shaft back a bit and there is the reluctor ring exposed nicely.
    .....sooper moose. '97 850R manual. Yum yum.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I shall keep that post ta

Firstly I need to put the wheels back on and the car back on the ground then thats a shame, it looked all ready on its axle stands hehehe

Do you think 1/2" is strong enough , I'd happily buy a 3/4 since I have to go and buy the kit anyway ?

I'll get the socket and breaker bar for next weekend, its too late now as I'll need to be at work in London to buy them or Amazon of course.

Cheers Mas

This user has no status

Thanks
    Maybe you've already done this, but having just replaced both front reluctor rings I strongly suggest a stout 3/4" breaker bar and socket for undoing the hub nut; one of mine came off relatively easy (i.e with simply jumping on the end of the breaker bar), the other clearly had never been off in all its 140k miles and 14 years.

A long piece of snug-fitting heavy steel box section tubing was required to get the nut undone, but that was the easy bit - to get the driveshaft out of the hub required about five minutes of repeated massive hits from a fencing mell. Note - leave the nut on and sit the socket on it to take the blows otherwise you'll be replacing your outer CV joint too!

My reluctor rings weren't cracked but were both very crusty and causing the ABS to kick in when turning corners or stopping from low speeds (i.e. parking.) Replacements were a few quid each on eBay and once the driveshafts were out were easy enough to tap on with a copper hammer (I cleaned up the shoulder of the CV joint with a wire brush in the drill first.)

If you need to replace yours, I'd highly recommend undoing the two big bolts on the wishbone instead of the balljoint end the manuals suggest - those are much more likely to come apart easily and you'd have to be pretty ham-fisted to damage anything at that end of the wishbone whereas the ball joint boot is quite vulnerable.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    IIRC the hub bolts are stretch bolts - so you will need to replace them, once you remove'em.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have to confess the T5 is looking goog but I havnt tackled this job yet. I have jobs to do on all three cars. You can rest assured I will be getting a 3/4 bar and i will be re reading the threads before having a go.

Ta

Mas

Thread Information