Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
    i think the refinement is all in the mileage of a car if its low it will drive sweet, my 89000 mile 850 drives smooth as silk compared to my 209000 v70
    Did you ever drive both when they were new,if you did you would surely not still say the 850 is better refined.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    might be lol it was hard with 17's on though, the s70r was much softer
    Got a hard suspension setup on it?

Although, don't the estates tend to have stiffer springs than the saloons anyway?
    Last edited by LiamT4; Thursday 5th January 2012 at 21:58.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Did you ever drive both when they were new,if you did you would surely not still say the 850 is better refined.
    The most refined one i drove was a v70 t5 se 1999 me7 auto that was silky smooth, my v70r is nowhere near refined noisy, feel every bump the suspension is very hard

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    How about chopping the S60r against a later S60 2.4 T5?
    This had crossed my mind if i'm honest, but an R without AWD is thoroughly disappointing and I guess that's essentially what a T5 is.

Although admittedly the maintenance would be much lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Al115 View Post
    NO. £500 or so. There's a thread on here (that I wrote) about the fix, if you search
    Ok mate i'll have a search then, thanks

That is a good plan!

I still rate the earlier cars as more reliable, plus cheaper to run and cheaper to tune, though - so they might tick the box.

Leeds - suggest you meet up with someone who has a nicely tuned P1 and go for a drive...?
    Reliability is key, and if the only main fault you can throw at me is electronic throttle then i'd say it's a heck of a lot more reliable than my SR, which is good.

...yes I think a drive in a nicely tuned P1 is in order. Only P1 i've ever been in was a standard 2 litre turbo C70 auto convertable. Nothing special, but seemed like a nice car.

you can get a t5 for £500 upwards and an "R" for £1100 upwards mate. if it was me i would get a low mileage (under 130000) 850r manual saloon as these are the best specced 850's. or a nice mint s70r manual
    Ok thanks mate i'll keep an eye out for these. 850R's can still go cheap at times can't they? I'm sure I have seen some around the £1,500 mark previously. Although maybe not the manual saloons - not sure?

They have more "white goods" - so go wrong more often I think! Nothing more than that.

There's not an awful lot to go wrong on the older cars, to be honest - basic maintenance with the spanners can fix most things, as opposed to having to go to the dealer for "software" all the time (which is a scam if ever I heard it!!!)
    Agreed - dealer software to turn your DRL's off on the pre '05 P2 'R' models, what a con! ...and if you haven't got your own copy of VIDA, then you're going to Volvo regardless of what age your R is to get the DRL's switched off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Old cars can often cost more money and time than there worth unless you want to work on them yourselfand know what your doing.Been there done that and bought the tee shirt many moons ago.
    Name a top of the range motor that doesn't have dealer software issues now and then,Rs are no worse than others?
    I do take that point on board. And a bolt, for example, that hasn't been removed from a car for 12 years is more likely to round/sheer than one that hasn't been removed for 6 years. Bit of a poor example, but it's principle I suppose that working on older cars CAN be harder than newer ones.

Also, I would agree that R's are no worse than other marques/brands, but that wasn't the point we were making. We were making the argument for P2 R's against earlier Volvo models.

My 2004 BM 530i was a great car, but you had to have service intervals reset by someone with proper software. Big con, as with the P2 R's, but compared to earlier Volvo models they're much worse.
    Sorry, nothing Swedish here...

How can the owner of a C70
    have no status
    Thanks
    I have an ME7 C70 T5 GT and it is by far the smoothest car I have ever driven, even more so than the XJ12 I used to own.

It has also been the most reliable (although only had it since Feb last year and I have probably just given it the kiss of death !!)

Every time I go out in it the engine feels really strong and I just love the turbo lag and the way it tries to extract your spleen without surgery on boost

The only downside is that it is too quiet!

Having said that I would give my right arm (and leg if need be) for an S60R, with or without problems.

Just my opinion.........
    Last edited by rikcougar; Saturday 14th January 2012 at 17:25.

2005 S60 T5 SE X PLOD RICA 300 MAP

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Id see if i get a ride in a couple if i were you, my V70r is a very hard ride compared to the 850r i went out in. it took me a bit to get to like it but i change it now, its great on the bends and round abouts.

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saffronman View Post
    Id see if i get a ride in a couple if i were you, my V70r is a very hard ride compared to the 850r i went out in. it took me a bit to get to like it but i change it now, its great on the bends and round abouts.
    Good 850 R though wasn't it Steve?
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Hi Ed, pop over to mine if you want and you can try a V70 T5 auto, V70R manual and a 850 t5r see what you prefer

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

Leeds_finest (Tuesday 17th January 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    So how can you tell an ETM model from one without ETM? I take it the NON ETM models just have a throttle cable coming from the throttle body to the bulkhead?

Quote Originally Posted by jamest5r View Post
    Hi Ed, pop over to mine if you want and you can try a V70 T5 auto, V70R manual and a 850 t5r see what you prefer
    Sounds great mate, i'll have to pop over, maybe this weekend if your about? Is your 850 onto full thrash yet or still taking it easy? did you sort the oil leak?

I was seriously thinking of a V70 but after seeing a few 850R's i'm getting tempting now. They're just old though and it needs to be reliable.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeds_finest View Post
    So how can you tell an ETM model from one without ETM? I take it the NON ETM models just have a throttle cable coming from the throttle body to the bulkhead?

Sounds great mate, i'll have to pop over, maybe this weekend if your about? Is your 850 onto full thrash yet or still taking it easy? did you sort the oil leak?

I was seriously thinking of a V70 but after seeing a few 850R's i'm getting tempting now. They're just old though and it needs to be reliable.
    they aint that much older and have the same engine, you can get a 1997 850r or a 1997 v70r

This user has no status
    Thanks
    they aint that much older and have the same engine, you can get a 1997 850r or a 1997 v70r
    Fair point!

I do love them, old skool box coolness, I think it'd have to be seriously cheap to buy though to justify thirsty fuel consumption.

It'd have to be a red 850R estate or white V70/S70 T5 I think.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    Good 850 R though wasn't it Steve?
    it was a suuuuperb 850 R phil

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts

I was seriously thinking of a V70 but after seeing a few 850R's i'm getting tempting now. They're just old though and it needs to be reliable.[/QUOTE]

You got my number give me a bell, 850 not on full thrash mode but you will get a good idea

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Thread Information