Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

What oil in a T5?

Hi guys

I have a '98 V70 T5 Auto, that has done just shy of 160k, not driven hard or used for track days or anything. Only bought it in July, so haven't serviced it before so don't know what oil should be used or is in there now, will have a look through the receipts later to see if that tells me anything, but considering the mileage, what oil should i use? Is GTX ok as it's on offer in Asda at £10 for 4L or will i need magnatec or something different? 10/W40? I assume 8L will more than cover it, does it hold around 6L? May try to service this baby myself, seems like a good inexpensive car to learn on having never done it before.

Cheers

Brighty

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Firstly, welcome to the forum.
    I think it holds 5.8L of oil, and there are two main standards of oil. 10W 40 semi and 5W 30 full synth. Any good quality brand will do. Personally,, I use Carlube 10W 40 from GSF at about 12 quid for 5L, but then I'm a tightarse!
    You should also change fuel, oil and air filters too. (fuel filter is under the o/s of the car, just in front of the rear wheel (I think).
    Any pics of the car?
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cheers for the info, will change the oil filter when i do the oil obviously, will look into the other bits too, although not 100% sure how long i will be keeping her for, long story how i ended up with this but is now a little surplus to requirements. If i decide to keep i may look at doing the full works eventually, if it's not too hard to do, as i said i'm completely new to car mechanics/servicing, but i assume a gearbox oil flush, coolant change, new plugs, air filter etc etc will be a good idea at some point?

Car doesn't get much use as i use my 07 plate diesel seat leon for my 60 mile each way commute, costs me £12 a day in diesel whereas the T5 used £22 in petrol a day the week i took it, ouch. I thought a new job up the road was in the bag and saw this car up for sale at what i thought was alot of car for not alot of money so went for it, intending to sell the seat when i got the new job, unfortunately the new job fell through so i've still got the seat. With a new baby last year and a dog, neither my seat or the wifes skoda fabia were up to the job of ferrying us all from one end of the country to the other to visit family, the wife wanted a people carrier, i wanted an estate, so another reason for getting the T5 was to prove i am right and estates are superior, i won and the wife fell for the T5, using it more than her fabia. New plan was then to ditch the fabia and let the wife run the T5 in the week and then i get it at weekends, all dependant on how the T5's MOT went. MOT went well, but made the lambda light come on (waiting for a code reader to diagnose), now the wife has changed her mind saying she wants to keep the fabia as the T5 is too big, too old and potentially unreliable for her to run around in with the baby. So we now have a 3rd car that we use for weekends away and i arse about in at weekends, bit of a waste really, but as it's taxed mot'd and insured i may as well run it for a while.

Regarding the pics, i have some from the previous owner that i may post up at some point if it would interest anyone. It's a standard, unmodded T5 CD Auto in silver with black/charcoal grey leather. Nice car in pretty good shape, although i am owner number 10 and have inherited a irrelevant (to me) personal plate, the 6th or 7th plate this car has had by the way, lol. I'm no boy racer or car mod nut, so only intend to do the servicing stuff and maybe fit a front strut brace.

Cheers

Brighty

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Only one thing to add to that... I would feel safer, taking my little boy out in my V70 than a Fabia. He sits in the middle of the back seat in some woopdi-doo bucket seat thing, lording it over everybody. loves it - "noisy car daddy!"
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ha ha, yeah my lad is just 1 and is like a king in his fancy reclining car seat thingy. Bit gutted she changed her mind about it, she was so up for it before the mot, i blame the mot bloke for making the light come on, that made her think about problems it might have, how old it is and that it will break down on her when her 06 plate fabia will never ever set a foot wrong, grrrrr. I think she thought it was going to fail the mot spectacularly and we would be shot of it, she didn't have any intention of letting me sell her car, pesky women.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Welcome mate.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    with a turbocharged car you need to use part or fully synthetic oil

Thread Information