Join Today

Threaded View

This user has no status
    Thanks

Covering all bases - C70

Looking for some advice from Wobbly Dave or Aftershock on this one but if anyone else has an opinion please LET RIP!!

1998 C70 2.3 T5 GT - manual
    Car has covered 92, 500 miles (FSH but I don't have all the recipts so don't know what's been fixed / replaced already) and I've just put 4 new Kumho KU31 tyres on it.

I can't seem to sell the car (as I wanted an 850 or V70 R) so have decided to keep it. Now that I've made my decision I want to get all the niggly bits on it sorted and uprate a few things at the same time. Hoping to get the car booked into VT before the end of this month for their free offer but I may be pushing for time.

Anyway, this is what I have marked for replacement

Car is due a service to include:
    Halfords 5w40 fully synthetic
    NGK BKR7EVX spark plugs
    ITG air filter
    Gearbox oil replacement

Upgrade:
    ECU RICA remap (what's the new 0-60 times for a C70 T5 after the remap?)
    Strut Brace
    Dot 5.1 brake oil replacement
    Goodridge Braided Brake Lines (are these worth bothering with?)
    Ferodo DS2500 Brake Pads

Brembo disks 302mm (not sure if I need these, when the guy took the wheels off the other day I had a quick look and they didn't look warped to me but then I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. If the car has a high mileage like mine is it worth having them replaced anyway? I'm assuming mine is 302mm as standard...)

Monroe Reflex Front Shocks (same again, not sure if they need changing....bounced all 4 corners tonight and it was very stiff, bounced like once and that was it. If I get them changed should I get all 4 done or is it not worth it?)

The thing I want most out of the car is quick acceleration and handling. At the moment it just seems to slide out when I power it round corners. Apart from getting a strut brace and possibly replacing the shocks is there anything else I can do to make it stick to the road?

In addition to this it has a few problem areas...

Car jerks when first moving (especially in first) like it has to get up to a certain speed before it stops. I'm wondering if this is the clutch or just the way I'm driving it. How much would a clutch replacement be if this was the case?

Aircon needs regassing.

The drivers door lock has a habit of not coming up properly sometimes. It comes up and then drops back down. However if I press the fob twice it always comes up and stops up. Wondering if I could get this fixed whilst at VT and how much it might cost?

The dashboard seems to have a loose connection. If I start the car up everything on the dash lights up etc, the clock is working but the indicators don't work nor do the headlights. If I stop the car and restart it they start working again. This is very intermittent?? Again anyone know if this is something VT can fix or will I need to check it out with a local auto electrician?

The car also creaks when turning and can make an electrical groaning type of noise. Now I know the wheels are rubbing on the inside of the car and the steering stops need greasing but I'm also wondering if the steering motor is on it's way out. Again how can I tell if this is the case? Can VT replace one of these and should I get a 2nd hand unit or are they cheapish brand new?

How long do the turbos last on these models?

And lastly but not least does anyone know how much it would cost to get the doors re-hung? Don't really want to pay Volvo prices....it's not dead annoying but it's something I would like fixing if I'm going to keep the car for say another 5 years

I've possibly written too much here but any advice on any of this would be much appreciated!!

I'll shut up now
    Last edited by the_boy; Sunday 21st August 2005 at 19:36.

Thread Information