Join Today

Thread: HID problems

This user has no status
    Thanks

HID problems

Today Ive fitted a HID conversion to my 2001 v70 T5 and although the new bulbs work perfectly and are a vast improvement on the halogen H7`s the dash is now flashing up a warning the I have a “bulb failure on the dipped beam” I can only imagine this is because the HID draw less wattage only being 35 watts as opposed to the original halogens drawing 55 watts. Has anyone else come across this problem or suggest a fix please.
    Thank you in anticipation

Just cant keep away from the
    Ovlovs lol
    Thanks
    take the bulb out lol, i never got that problem on mine, but then again i used the 35w that it suppose to be, i would suggest sending back and getting the right watts as it may end up with failure further down the line

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Busted View Post
    Today Ive fitted a HID conversion to my 2001 v70 T5 and although the new bulbs work perfectly and are a vast improvement on the halogen H7`s the dash is now flashing up a warning the I have a “bulb failure on the dipped beam” I can only imagine this is because the HID draw less wattage only being 35 watts as opposed to the original halogens drawing 55 watts. Has anyone else come across this problem or suggest a fix please.
    Thank you in anticipation
    Back with a 1997 S70 T5 SE

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    I think this can be a common problem as the HIDs use a ballast to start the lamp. It would give an inconsistent impedance which would be seen as a fault by the car. The more expensive HID kits, I would imagine, would have electrical witchcraft preventing this sort of problem.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Dirty Busted (Thursday 29th December 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    you need a HID system with CANBUS, volvos sense current draw for the bulb failure system, i have fitted HIDs to an 850 and to my current V70 with no probs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to leedsrodder For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    I am prety sure you can obtain a small device to fool the system, go on e-bay. Check out CANBUS.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to leedsrodder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Witchcraft above lol
    Welcome to the club Dirty.
    Everything else working fine?
    Any pics of the car?

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, just done a bit more research on it and other forums all suggest the same thing, Flea bay have the parts required for around £7 so hopefully in a few days it will all be sorted , Thanks again for your help

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome Martin ,
    Ive a few little probs which I need to sort out , Little oil leak on the sump gasket, wobble on one of the rear wheels ( the wheel needs replacing ) and Im trawling the net for a rear wiper washer. I got the car really cheap as the auto box was shagged but ive had a recon one fitted now, Ill get a pic up in the next day or two although I think its going to look pretty standard reading what some of the other other members have done lol.
    Ive been after one of these for years and the mrs already thinks im having an affair with it :-)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Busted For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Thursday 29th December 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Have you changed the headlights or just the bulbs?? You should have projector H/lights, otherwise PC plod may have you and will be an MOT fail, or change back to halogen before MOT.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks Rodder , Ive just stuck a years ticket on it and will have to swap them back to the originals when its time to mot it again , as for the old bill ! got to catch me first

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Busted View Post
    Thanks for the welcome Martin ,
    Ive a few little probs which I need to sort out , Little oil leak on the sump gasket, wobble on one of the rear wheels ( the wheel needs replacing ) and Im trawling the net for a rear wiper washer. I got the car really cheap as the auto box was shagged but ive had a recon one fitted now, Ill get a pic up in the next day or two although I think its going to look pretty standard reading what some of the other other members have done lol.
    Ive been after one of these for years and the mrs already thinks im having an affair with it :-)
    Yeah, I get the missus problem
    Keep an eye on your DIM (speedo cluster) as when they play up, they can cost a bomb, as I well know. Check the pcv system as they can block and blow the crank seal. (go for a run, stop, leave engine running, pull dipstick out - if you get puff, puff, puffs of smoke, pcv is blocked.)
    Oh, rear wiper washers cost a bomb. I repaired mine with bits from a 850 weasher. another electrical problem caused by ford lol

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Good evening.
    I have HID dip beam lamps fitted to my 1999 V70R. Usual initial flicker as they warm up and all is well for a few miles. Then the bulb failure light comes on and I know it's the o/side bulb which has gone out. Turn off the headlamps and back on again and again all is well. Then it's the same problem.
    The wiring looks fine but I will check to see that all contacts are clean and tight but does anyone have a possible reason for this repetitive problem please?

Thanks
    Ballast unit is shot mate. Chuck a new one at it and all should be well

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

18. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

New Dexter (Saturday 31st December 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks

Question

Thank you for that very quick response to my problem. Please forgive my profound ignorance of these matters but where would this ballast resistor be found?

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I'm all jealous now, you lot have hids!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just a quick update on this
    Ive now fitted a HID Xenon Canbus Warning Light Error Canceller set and still the warning lights stay on !!!! Its no good Ive been online and ordered a decent new set with built in Canbus warning eliminators and we will see how we get on with those

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Final update on this prob,
    Fitted the new set which arrived today and they work a treat with no problems or warning lights> Anyone else looking to upgrade the Flea bay link for the set i used is below, thanks again folks for your input
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HID-Xenon-...item3f114fe92c

Thread Information