Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

fwd V70, ££££ in the snow.

Noticed this year before last too be honest, and last year, and again today, but wasn't on this forum to winge about it back in those days. Know there isn't really much I can do about it apart from descent tyres, just like to state that my t5 is w@nk in the snow. Anyone else have this problem? You'd think that considering both snow and Volvo's were invented in the same country, so you would expect them to like each other, but no. Mine is better when I turn the traction controll off, which I always turn off anyway, first thing I do when I start the car up. Mine could be rubbish cos' of the big heavy stereo in the back, but I think they all must be like this. Just curious, how's everyone else's in the white stuff?

Tim

This user has no status
    Thanks
    have you tried snow socks on it? i hear they help.

In Sweden, they have studded tyres (by Law) during winter so they are OK in the snow over there!

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tim15888 View Post
    Noticed this year before last too be honest, and last year, and again today, but wasn't on this forum to winge about it back in those days. Know there isn't really much I can do about it apart from descent tyres, just like to state that my t5 is w@nk in the snow. Anyone else have this problem? You'd think that considering both snow and Volvo's were invented in the same country, so you would expect them to like each other, but no. Mine is better when I turn the traction controll off, which I always turn off anyway, first thing I do when I start the car up. Mine could be rubbish cos' of the big heavy stereo in the back, but I think they all must be like this. Just curious, how's everyone else's in the white stuff?

Tim
    My auto's was crap in the Snow, until i drove it backwards! lol

But you cant do that everywhere lol, but i managed to reverse up the hills where my house is easy doing just that.

I'm hoping this year my manual will be better.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    not with all that power merc lad, i reckon this year is 'sideways' year!!!

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tim15888 View Post

Tim
    Can`t grip can`t go-simple,get 4xwinter tyres.I did better than 4x4s last year with them on in my b6 passat,volvo heavier engine therefore will have a very good grip with snow tyres.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You would have thought that the S60 with the weight of the diesel lump would be better - NO!

GL420CDi - "monster truck with 7 seats" . S60 SE EUIV DIESEL - Commuting .
    Honda CBR1000 aka Fireblade - "mid life crisis"

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    V70 was outstanding last year on Michelin Alpins in the snow, crap the year before on Eagle F1's.

Back on the Alpins now for winter, but also got an xc70 just in case.....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yosser For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 18th December 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm on crappy firestones haha. Passats are always good in the snow KingsfordG, noticed them plodding past all the other stuck cars every year it's snowed recently! haha

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    I'm dreading the coming winter. I live at the bottom of a valley. There are 2 roads out, one is really steep, the other is not as steep but has speedramps. The last 2years have seen the roads turn to sheet ice. Coupled with the extra oomph of a now healthy engine and the traction issues i now have In the wet, from the polybuhes, I think I may be walking to work in January
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    my 850 loves the snow, S60 is naff but is alot more under-steery anyway

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Any car is crap in the snow if you dont have the correct tyres. A landy wont go up a muddy hill with road tyres on it.
    Thanks
    Martyn

13. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Tuesday 20th December 2011)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    I'm dreading the coming winter. I live at the bottom of a valley. There are 2 roads out, one is really steep, the other is not as steep but has speedramps. The last 2years have seen the roads turn to sheet ice. Coupled with the extra oomph of a now healthy engine and the traction issues i now have In the wet, from the polybuhes, I think I may be walking to work in January
    Are the polys causing you wet traction issues?

I don't have any with mine... aside from the torque steer kinda feeling like you're getting tazered

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    Are the polys causing you wet traction issues?

I don't have any with mine... aside from the torque steer kinda feeling like you're getting tazered
    Just seems to spin more in the wet since the polys went in. Yeah torque steer is interesting, not so much during acceleration - when you let off to change gear, its easy to forget that you're hanging off one side of the wheel. Lol.

Mines only part polied tho.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just seems to spin more in the wet since the polys went in. Yeah torque steer is interesting, not so much during acceleration - when you let off to change gear, its easy to forget that you're hanging off one side of the wheel. Lol.

Mines only part polied tho.
    Mines fully done i noticed that the torque steer is a lot 'sharper' when it does kick in.

Get the whole front done it will feel loads better anyway maybe your other ones are tired and giving play.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors

Thanks
    Powerflex don't do the 2nd bushes for my wishbones. I'll look into it should the others crap out. I only started the polybush mission cos its cheaper than oe ones.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thanks
    i only use budget tyres so not the best traction, but i do think the factory P2 traction is a very good system & mine keeps it in check most of the time (got to accidently turn it off & have a play sometimes tho lol)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I seem to hear this all the time but, when I was driving them with the Police, I can't ever remember getting stuck.
    This is my first year with my own two so it will be interesting to find out when the snow eventually arrives with us. I had two BMW's last year and couldn't get them off the drive.

Thanks
    Last year I saw a 58 plate v50 slide down my road sideways. it was a 1.6 drive-e. not much hope for the T5

Although, I could stick her in 5th and burn through the ice

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thanks
    I could stick her in 5th and burn through the ice
    we've got quite a steep drive & had to do that before

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kwk View Post
    I seem to hear this all the time but, when I was driving them with the Police, I can't ever remember getting stuck.
    This is my first year with my own two so it will be interesting to find out when the snow eventually arrives with us. I had two BMW's last year and couldn't get them off the drive.
    Welcome KWK

you ex filth ? cool job driving T5's for a living mind you - What other machinery did you drive on the job ??

Thread Information