Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Skint and kanckered!
    Thanks
    Are there not new laws coming in re the fitment of after market HIDs to cars?

I was under the impression that HIDs should have self levelling and lens washing as standard and after market HID bulbs just fitted in to the back of the stand light unit will fail and MoT......

I may be wrong though!

230K, aiming for 300k!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBurnWorld View Post
    Ultimatley with projectors in place, I'd feel easier about fitting HID's (Cue debate on legality) as I wouldn't be putting up a wall of glare.
    And there we go. The HID legality debate begins!

I didn't realise the Ovlov OEM bi-xenon's were in reflector housings too. I've been looking while driving around the past couple of days, and about a quarter of what I would imagine are OEM HID headlights on various cars, are infact reflector type.

I might actually get my wallet out at this rate....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by I want a T5 View Post

I was under the impression that HIDs should have self levelling and lens washing as standard and after market HID bulbs just fitted in to the back of the stand light unit will fail and MoT......

I may be wrong though!
    I heard similar too. I also know 100% they must have self levellers and not sure about wash/wipe.

However, simple solution to the MOT problem, it's called a bent MOT... and if police pull you over for it, which they probably wouldn't on a well looked after Volvo (probably more after chavs in their corsa/106 with excess headlight glare), then act stupid, apologise and remove them. Now we have got onto the subject of circumventing the law, this is totally your own decision, I don't promote/endorse this.

And there we go. The HID legality debate begins!

I didn't realise the Ovlov OEM bi-xenon's were in reflector housings too. I've been looking while driving around the past couple of days, and about a quarter of what I would imagine are OEM HID headlights on various cars, are infact reflector type.

I might actually get my wallet out at this rate....
    Yes, my OEM bi-xenons are in reflector headlights and they look a bit 'chav' if i'm honest. In addition to this, unless I switch to sidelights only, I can't turn them off either. So i'm forced to drive round in the middle of the day with them on.

I always thought that xenon's were only manufactured in projector headlights, Volvo must be one of the few that uses xenon bulbs/ballasts with no projectors.

...but as Pedro Fandango said, he retro-fitted some OEM xenons I think? That's what I would do in your position too. Anyway, whilst it's illegal, it's better that by retro-fitting the xenon system you still retain your manual headlight levellers, because the ones on the R models break, and they cost a fortune to replace.
    Last edited by Leeds_finest; Thursday 15th December 2011 at 16:45.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeds_finest View Post
    However, simple solution to the MOT problem, it's called a bent MOT... and if police pull you over for it, which they probably wouldn't on a well looked after Volvo (probably more after chavs in their corsa/106 with excess headlight glare), then act stupid, apologise and remove them. Now we have got onto the subject of circumventing the law, this is totally your own decision, I don't promote/endorse this
    you don't even have to go as far as purchasing a dodgy MOT. It won't take 5minutes to remove the HID bulb & put a normal halogen bulb back into place, you don't even have to bother removing the ballast units just remove the element

Skint and kanckered!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    you don't even have to go as far as purchasing a dodgy MOT. It won't take 5minutes to remove the HID bulb & put a normal halogen bulb back into place, you don't even have to bother removing the ballast units just remove the element
    Now there's a plan........

And as said before, mr plod is more likely to be looking for the Halfords Chav with his blue tinged lights than a Mr Sensible in his shiny Volvo!

230K, aiming for 300k!

Thanks
    Mr Sensible.....

SHINY Volvo...

I'm doomed!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    True stories ^^^ you can leave the ballast in place and simply switch the bulbs.

In honesty, the dodgy MOT was more in aid of things you can't easily change though, self levellers and headlight washers for example.

Now there's a plan........

And as said before, mr plod is more likely to be looking for the Halfords Chav with his blue tinged lights than a Mr Sensible in his shiny Volvo!
    Agreed, 9 times out of 10 they're going to target the usual trouble causing generation really.

Mr Sensible.....

SHINY Volvo...

I'm doomed!
    You'll get by

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Having spoken to Billy - MOT tester at HLM - there is no way to audit HIDs & MOT testers are not allowed to dismantle to inspect. So these are just rumours.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeds_Finest
    However, simple solution to the MOT problem, it's called a bent MOT... and if police pull you over for it, which they probably wouldn't on a well looked after Volvo (probably more after chavs in their corsa/106 with excess headlight glare), then act stupid, apologise and remove them. Now we have got onto the subject of circumventing the law, this is totally your own decision, I don't promote/endorse this.
    no need for this - or bulb swapping - its complete waste of time. They cannot fail you on A/M HIDs
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Thursday 15th December 2011 at 18:33.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Having spoken to Billy - MOT tester at HLM - there is no way to audit HIDs & MOT testers are not allowed to dismantle to inspect. So these are just rumours.
    they aint rumours it is true as from jan, they must be self levelling and have washers but there is no way to check for self levelling and as long as your washers are there they should be ok

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    To clarify, HIDs, to be legal must have a wash OR wash/wipe system. They do not have to be self leveling or have both.

Whether projectors or reflectors with HIDs (V70R/S60R use reflectors) and (XC90 use projectors) as long as the beam pattern is correct and the levels are correct on the beam tester then that is legal and will pass an MOT.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

230K, aiming for 300k!

Thanks
    Just a quick update.

Purchased some 35w H7R HID's, 6000k colour. Fitted and now tested over 300 motorway miles in the dark and thay've made a big difference.

Beam pattern appears to be just right, with the kit avoiding the usual wall of light effect. Turns out the V70 reflectors control the beam quite well. If I'm completley honest, the 6000k is a little blue at the edges of the beam pattern.

Only thing to sort now is the Dipped Beam Bulb Failure alert. I shall be drilling my shunt at some point... with pictures!

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Only thing to sort now is the Dipped Beam Bulb Failure alert. I shall be drilling my shunt at some point... with pictures!
    my 52plate S60 hasn't thrown the bulb failure fault, yet my old mans 03plate S60 does. Just saying tonight we'll have to drill his shunt so very keen to seen the "how-to" pics once you've done it sir

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
    they aint rumours it is true as from jan, they must be self levelling and have washers but there is no way to check for self levelling and as long as your washers are there they should be ok
    http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...nges-2012.html

It's worth mentioning that, as far as I have been informed and I am open to arguements contrary to this, the new changes to the test will start off as advisory items for the first 3-4 months in 2012 as VOSA trial the changes.. So that means initially a car can't fail on the revised parts of the test i.e. having no headlight adjust for HID's.

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

230K, aiming for 300k!

Thanks
    In the meantime untill it fails it's MOt on having HID's fitted, if it does...

I have sorted the bulb failure alarm by following the advice on this page

http://www.xenonvalot.com/xenonfixvolvo.html

I promised pictures of me doing this, but I cannot cover it any better than it already is on this page.

Drilled the shunt, re-fitted and now have no more alarms or warnings. 10mins work in total.

The H7R kit is working our really well. The 35W kit gave a good improvement over standard filament bulbs, and the beam pattern is just right. Looking at the car from a hundred yards away there's non of the 'Wall Of Light' effect you see on some of these chavved up cars. Covered another 1000 miles mixed motorway and A/B roading since fitting and haven't been flashed once. Going to sort my main beams next week, they look a bit yellow....

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...nges-2012.html

It's worth mentioning that, as far as I have been informed and I am open to arguements contrary to this, the new changes to the test will start off as advisory items for the first 3-4 months in 2012 as VOSA trial the changes.. So that means initially a car can't fail on the revised parts of the test i.e. having no headlight adjust for HID's.
    i got told by an mot tester a few weeks back that they cant test for self levelling on xenons or hid's they have to have a washer though

Thread Information