Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

Vredestein Winter Xtreme winter tyres

Just thought i would let you all know that i am now sitting on the above in 235/40 ZR 18 extra load.

Spoke to Vredestein and as with their other tyre (which i use in the summer) The Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, they must be inflated to 4 psi over normal use, ie, on a V70R P2 normal use is 36psi. therefore mine ran at 39psi. This is due to the make up of the construction of the tyre and its shape in relation to the road surface. Very difficult to explain in a thread but with previous Vredesteins they had problems with the outside edges wearing prematurely (nothing to do with alighnment). Mine did the same on my Ultracs on my laser. This was 4 years ago now and since then they sussed the problem. Hense the tyres now must run at 39psi.

I will let you know how good these tyres are in the white stuff but so far they are awesome. Done 60 miles and all the tyres still have the hair on them!! At least i know my alignment is bang tidy.

Cost was £696 delivered. Think i got the last set in the UK as they were nigh on impossible to get. Read reviews from Germany and Sweden...probably the best winter tyre you can get and cheaper than Conti's.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Al115 (Saturday 17th December 2011),Dangerous Dave (Saturday 17th December 2011),Jim S70R (Saturday 17th December 2011),volvokid (Saturday 17th December 2011)

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    They are the best winter tyres all day long.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have fitted winters too, but I went for 185/55 15s. That's on the Yaris

I don't do much mileage tbh so can't justify winter tyres on the whole fleet... the Volvo will have to stay on summer tyres with good tread!
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Al115 View Post
    I have fitted winters too, but I went for 185/55 15s. That's on the Yaris

I don't do much mileage tbh so can't justify winter tyres on the whole fleet... the Volvo will have to stay on summer tyres with good tread!
    TBH though that should be good enough unless the weather gets really really bad
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by santa20 View Post
    TBH though that should be good enough unless the weather gets really really bad
    Are you keeping the R888's on for winter

Lee, slightly off-topic but how do you find the Vredestein Sessanta's? I am stuck between Yokohama Parada Spec 2's and the Sessanta's for the 850.

I have heard excellent reviews of both and been in a S70 fitted with the Yoko's and it handled brilliant but at the same time everyone raves about the Vredesteins... help!
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I used Vreddy Ultrac sessantas during the summer for years but then they disappeared up their own bottoms & hoicked up the price to something silly. I'd love a set of the winters but they are jolly expensive - 175 quid a corner is too rich for my liking - the Falken winter tyres I have on Betsy now did superbly during last winter on the white stuff & ice.

Just trying to find a decent set of winters now for Trudy.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Moose View Post

Lee, slightly off-topic but how do you find the Vredestein Sessanta's? I am stuck between Yokohama Parada Spec 2's and the Sessanta's for the 850.

I have heard excellent reviews of both and been in a S70 fitted with the Yoko's and it handled brilliant but at the same time everyone raves about the Vredesteins... help!
    So far the R888's have been better than the conti's from last year
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Jesus that is something...
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Cost was £696 delivered. Think i got the last set in the UK as they were nigh on impossible to get. Read reviews from Germany and Sweden...probably the best winter tyre you can get and cheaper than Conti's.
    I've heard the new Nokian WR A3 is a good tyre, but like you say these more obscure tyres are harder to find in the uk.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My dad runs Ultrac Sessanta on his Jag XJR - good tyres apparently?

I run Vredestein Ultrac 'something else' on my S60R, 235/40/18 95Y XL same as yours, not sure which exact tyre it is though? It has a straight tread, like the Pzero Rosso, unlike the Sessanta.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Got ns2 winter tyres on mine. cost me £70 and all have 7mm of tread. bought them in june off ebay. they prob arnt the best tyre available but they perform well and are better than summer tyres in the snow. i woulldnt hesitate to buy them again

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Lol my colleagues Pulsar has R888's and it was a death trap in the snow. He reckons it was because his 4WD was up the creak, but I maintain it was because he was running semi's in the snow LOL

Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    Got ns2 winter tyres on mine. cost me £70 and all have 7mm of tread. bought them in june off ebay. they prob arnt the best tyre available but they perform well and are better than summer tyres in the snow. i woulldnt hesitate to buy them again
    Yes I had NS2 Nankang's on my V6 Vectra and everyone slates Nankangs but they were fine on my car.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    I used Vreddy Ultrac sessantas during the summer for years but then they disappeared up their own bottoms & hoicked up the price to something silly. I'd love a set of the winters but they are jolly expensive - 175 quid a corner is too rich for my liking - the Falken winter tyres I have on Betsy now did superbly during last winter on the white stuff & ice.

Just trying to find a decent set of winters now for Trudy.
    You might save yourself £50 - 100 on budgets but you'll be sliding all over the place. Got a mate wiv the same car as me and his budget winters are hopeless, trust me...its worth spending the extra doe. Plus i will get years out of them as they will only be on the car until March. The Falkens are ok, but i researched these tyres for hours and they won so many awards its unreal. £ for £ they are leagues ahead of the competition.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Moose View Post

Best tyre i have had so far. Hard wearing, quiet and grip amazing!!
    I think the Yoko's are a softer compound. Had Yoko's before on my T5 and i demolished them in 12k. Switched to Vreds and they lasted about 18k. You do the maths...

This status has no user
    Thanks
    Am I being thick (Probably, Lol) What's the difference between summer and winter tyre's? Never been bothered to change them TBH. If it gets too snowy I just stay at home and get paid. Lol.
    We're not living in Sweden.

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cherry1809 View Post
    Am I being thick (Probably, Lol) What's the difference between summer and winter tyre's? Never been bothered to change them TBH. If it gets too snowy I just stay at home and get paid. Lol.
    We're not living in Sweden.
    No were not living in Sweden and if we were we would all have winter tyres on by now, by law, all fitted inc metal studs!

Everyone seems to think that winter tyres are just for when it snows. There not. When the road surface temps gets to around 7 degress C or less than a summer tyre stops doing what its meant to do and your braking distance can be increased by as much as 50% depending on weather you have a budget summer tyre or an expensive summer tyre with a harder compound. The summer tyre becomes rigid and cannot flex and mould itself to the varying road surface as you drive. Therefore, you lose traction. You might not notice on a V70R/S60R as they are awd but none the less, the TRACS and Haldex will still be working harder due to the increased lack of traction. factor in the large inline grooves for channeling water and large areas of uninterrupted rubber with no slots, grooves or channels and you got a recipe for disaster when it comes to snow and ice. Its against the law in places like Norway and Sweden to even drive on any tyre unless fitted with winters with studs. Switzerland won't even let you in the country if you don't have snow chains!!

A snow tyre is much softer hense the speed rating is much less than a summer. Also the tread pattern is more suited for gripping ice and slush, which when driven on compacts into ice anyway. The tyre remains very pliable and can flexes easily, therefore increasing traction in cold weather and extra grip in snow and ice conditions.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

cherry1809 (Sunday 18th December 2011)

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Just wondering what winter tyres you've actually used before to hail VReds as the best?

I've used Wintercontacts and Goodyear Ultragrip 7's but find my Michelin Alpin A4's to be as good if not better but with the benefit of being harder wearing.

Was toying with the Wintrac Extremes as I love the Ultrac Sessantas as a summer tyre.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Trust me - I am not running budget tyres. The Falkens served me well for both Cadwell park & Oulton and 8Ks worth of road use. Best value for money IMHO.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Phoned my local tyre place today for a price on some tyres, the guy told me they had some Sunew and Primewell tyres in for £63 and £69 each, said they were good in the wet, blah blah. So I popped on a tyre review website and both these tyres are summer tyres and have very very bad reviews to the point that they are dangerous! (not just a few reviews, but over 700!).

I knew these tyres would be bad, but the thing that gets me is that this tyre place is selling summer tyres at a time when the weather is not going to get better, and the place is not a dodgy backstreet company, they are a professional place with knowledgable guys and great customer service. If this is the norm, no wonder there are so many accidents, obviously driver experience is a big factor, but its better if the rubber you have on is fit for purpose.

Now I'm searching for a place to get some winter tyres from for a low price as I just can't afford £150 a corner, thats just silly.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeds_finest View Post
    Lol my colleagues Pulsar has R888's and it was a death trap in the snow. He reckons it was because his 4WD was up the creak, but I maintain it was because he was running semi's in the snow LOL
    They have been quite lethal recently, having to do AWD burnouts just to get heat into them

Thread Information