Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts

Question Mbc with a Map or Not? 855 t5 Manual

I have always ran a MBC even when i 1st got my HLM map.

Because of various issues with Bigrotches car this wkend i thought i'd try and run my HLM map without the mbc fitted.

The car feels strange lol but very progressive.

1st three gear's Boost aprox 13psi and the last 2 at 16psi.

Car feels like you have to work the engine harder but for every rpm it seems to acelerate Smother and Controlled.

I Have compared the aceleration at ceratin points with and without the mbc, and she still seems about the same pace without the mbc fitted (perhaps less wheel spin)?

Any thoughts?

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    With an mbc it feels more aggressive and brings boost in earlier which I love lol, I'm driving a standard r and I'm wondering where all my boost has gone lol.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 20th November 2011)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    With the mbc the boost will come in earlier and make it feel more aggressive.

I removed mine because of the auto box. The mbc made overtaking on the motorway very easy as the car would pull really well even in 4th(top) but the nature of the mbc meant that at low speeds it was too aggressive on kick down. Don't get me wrong, it was a lot of fun, but i don't think it would be good for the car in the long run.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 20th November 2011)

Here today gone tomorrow

Thanks
    I would keep the mbc off the car!!! The map your running is not suited to an mbc, you'll want a custom map if your gonna run a higher boost level and fueling to match at a safe level the engine can live with.

Time and time again people have engine problems with mbc's fitted......such as bending rods on a cold night, why!!

Wouldn't bother with one myself....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim S70R For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Monday 21st November 2011)

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Personally I have never had an issue running both, infact I have always run both on every T5 I have owned.

I actually buy the map just to remove the boost limiter most of the time so that I can crank the MBC up to around 18psi or 1.25 bar.
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Flying Moose For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Monday 21st November 2011),T5frankie (Monday 21st November 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I love my mbc just need to get a map on it now so can run more boost and as long as you are sensible will have no problems.
    if you have bypassed the standard boost controller and fitted mbc straight to turbo you can actually turn it down and run the 4 psi the actuator is set too if it's snowing to aid traction as will run less power or if the wife drives it as mine like it and comes home smiling when she has drove mine, waiting for the speeding fine's to come through the post.lol
    ps not being sexiest before anybody jumps on the band wagon.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to endo-t5 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yeah gav i took mine off and dont seem to be any diferent just smoother mate ,, also to prelong the box ,, dont need that going on me as well lol
    BLACK PEARL IN DA HOUSE ARRRGGGG!!!!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shrekblackR For This Useful Post:

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shrek red t5 View Post
    yeah gav i took mine off and dont seem to be any diferent just smoother mate ,, also to prelong the box ,, dont need that going on me as well lol
    Yeah well get it in the post mate lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Oh dear you've got me on a rant now.....

So yeah great you go get yourself an off the shelf map. It's designed to run circa 16-18 psi but hang it won't achieve that boost....
    Sod it I know I'll buy a £25.00 mbc and wack the boost up to 20 ish psi because everyone else does... Oh what a great idea, oh hang on now my engines tapping perhaps I'll do an oil flush and engine oil change because I must have a sticking lifter.....err no you've ****ed your perfectly good engine because you decided to spend jack all and hope for **** loads...

If your car doesn't run the correct level of boost fix the problem don't cover it up with a £25.00 fix... if your going to adopt that idea you might as well get yourself one of those resistors from e-Bay which fool the car into thinking it's always cold... another great step forward in car tuning.......

MBC's are a cheap quick performance fix, if you pay cheap you pay twice. You could argue that your fine if you know what your doing but then if you know what your doing you know that having the correct map on your car means you have no need for an MBC end of story.

Rant over

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

t5steve (Tuesday 22nd November 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Evening Andy how are u tonight lol
    now you see me OPPS now ya dont lololol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrotch View Post
    Evening Andy how are u tonight lol
    Much better now thanks... lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hehehehehehe
    now you see me OPPS now ya dont lololol

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bigrotch For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Monday 21st November 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post

So yeah great you go get yourself an off the shelf map. It's designed to run circa 16-18 psi but hang it won't achieve that boost....
    Sod it I know I'll buy a £25.00 mbc and wack the boost up to 20 ish psi because everyone else does... Oh what a great idea, oh hang on now my engines tapping perhaps I'll do an oil flush and engine oil change because I must have a sticking lifter.....err no you've ****ed your perfectly good engine because you decided to spend jack all and hope for **** loads...

If your car doesn't run the correct level of boost fix the problem don't cover it up with a £25.00 fix... if your going to adopt that idea you might as well get yourself one of those resistors from e-Bay which fool the car into thinking it's always cold... another great step forward in car tuning.......

MBC's are a cheap quick performance fix, if you pay cheap you pay twice. You could argue that your fine if you know what your doing but then if you know what your doing you know that having the correct map on your car means you have no need for an MBC end of story.

Rant over
    I think both Andy and myself have proven you can have a quick car without an mbc

Ed

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ed. For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Tuesday 22nd November 2011)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    I think both Andy and myself have proven you can have a quick car without an mbc

Ed
    i wouldn't put an mbc on an auto but on a manual they are the tits

24. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    then if you know what your doing you know that having the correct map on your car means you have no need for an MBC end of story.
    i have to disagree, half the fun of modifying a car to me is getting it to drive/feel how you want. Over the years i've drove many many of other peoples cars with maps from various companies, & not one has ever got anywhere near as close to how aggressive an MBC is, & that is exactly how i want my car to feel. I'd rather lose a few ponies & have a car i enjoy driving than be able to say its ???bhp but boring

i agree on using it as a plaster to cover other faults tho, thats not good

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Tuesday 22nd November 2011),merc85 (Tuesday 22nd November 2011)

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts

Rant over
    A contradiction to my original post but cant argue with that...
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

28. The Following User Says Thank You to The Flying Moose For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
    i wouldn't put an mbc on an auto but on a manual they are the tits
    Can't really comment on the differences it makes to an auto or a manual in the Volvo world but as I found them in my Ford days I was never fond of the crude way in which they operate. That said if you enjoy the way the car runs with one then it's your car etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    i have to disagree, half the fun of modifying a car to me is getting it to drive/feel how you want. Over the years i've drove many many of other peoples cars with maps from various companies, & not one has ever got anywhere near as close to how aggressive an MBC is, & that is exactly how i want my car to feel. I'd rather lose a few ponies & have a car i enjoy driving than be able to say its ???bhp but boring

i agree on using it as a plaster to cover other faults tho, thats not good
    I 100% agree, indeed the whole idea of modifying a car is to personalise it to your tastes, however there's a whole lot more to modifying a car than an mbc, exhaust and an air filter.. That said as with Frankie it's your car and it's what you enjoy....

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Tuesday 22nd November 2011),T5frankie (Tuesday 22nd November 2011),The Flying Moose (Tuesday 22nd November 2011)

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    MBC's....what i found with them is they are very addictive i love the way the boost come's in so aggressively and is great fun for a quick blast however i dont think they make your car any quicker as it's too much too soon and in a fwd car that dont make a quick car unless it's over a distance of 1/8 mile from rolling on the motorway etc, EBC's however are a bit different ive not tried my new one for obvious reason's lol but if you can add in the % gain of the boost surley that has got to be better just look at Smithness' times this year.

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Tuesday 22nd November 2011)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    my forge unos for my 850r is on it's way

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    It would have been nice to see how my car would have been with the apexi avcr that i had.
    Mates got one in his skyline now and its made a big difference as his is the 2wd one so being able to run lower boost in 1st then abit more in 2nd and so on, really helps.
    and now when its slippy, he just presses a button and it runs less boost.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Thread Information