Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Dashboard info - repairable?

Hi all, been looking around to see if there's a fix for sorting out my onboard info display.

When i scroll the wheel on the stalk nothing changes on the dash - ie: mpg, outside temp and so on.

Hoping it's not gonna be an expensive fix!!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    I'm back in a Volvo
    2001 XC70
    Stuff to do:

Replace head lamps - got some?
    Get it dirty

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Oh dear, I take it it's the 2001 XC on your sig?
    Bad news mate. Your dim appears to be in the early stages of failure.
    A replacement will cost you £700-£800 Only Volvo can fit and program a replacement.
    You can have the DIM resoldered (it's a 126 leg Motorola chip on the board inside the DIM) at a mobile phone repair shop or similar for about 40 quid but I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. I did and ended up doing it every month or so until it nearly caught fire!
    If you do get it resoldered, disconnect the battery for an hour or so before removing it otherwise it will throw the SRS warning (if it hasn't already)
    Sorry to bring bad news
    If I can be of any help or answer any questions, just ask.

Pedro has had 2 resoldered with (almost) 100% success.

Good luck.

Martin.

My thread on the subject...http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37519
    Last edited by M-R-P; Sunday 20th November 2011 at 11:37.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    Oh dear, I take it it's the 2001 XC on your sig?
    Bad news mate. Your dim appears to be in the early stages of failure.
    A replacement will cost you £700-£800 Only Volvo can fit and program a replacement.
    You can have the DIM resoldered (it's a 126 leg Motorola chip on the board inside the DIM) at a mobile phone repair shop or similar for about 40 quid but I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. I did and ended up doing it every month or so until it nearly caught fire!
    If you do get it resoldered, disconnect the battery for an hour or so before removing it otherwise it will throw the SRS warning (if it hasn't already)
    Sorry to bring bad news
    If I can be of any help or answer any questions, just ask.

Pedro has had 2 resoldered with (almost) 100% success.

Good luck.

Martin.

My thread on the subject...http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37519
    Thanks for this Martin, bugger! Is this something you could fix for me? Obviously paid work!!

No chance it could be the stalk then?
    I'm back in a Volvo
    2001 XC70
    Stuff to do:

Get it dirty

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The first thing I would check would be the stalk, mate. Start at either the most obvious or the least expensive. That's my motto!

Meet Abby, an elegant lady... Still, very willing to go topless in public. All I gotta do is push the right buttons...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Or even just the unit with the dials on. Not sure if it's switchable though. When I changed my dials on my P1 C70 the info (odometer etc) stays with the unit, not the car.

Meet Abby, an elegant lady... Still, very willing to go topless in public. All I gotta do is push the right buttons...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubes View Post
    The first thing I would check would be the stalk, mate. Start at either the most obvious or the least expensive. That's my motto!
    Yeah, its going in to have a wheel bearing at local Volvo indy on tues so will ask them to check it. Never know, might get lucky - yeah right!!
    I'm back in a Volvo
    2001 XC70
    Stuff to do:

Get it dirty

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by r07s View Post
    Hi all, been looking around to see if there's a fix for sorting out my onboard info display.

When i scroll the wheel on the stalk nothing changes on the dash - ie: mpg, outside temp and so on.

Hoping it's not gonna be an expensive fix!!
    I know these cars suffer with DIMs failing but the symptoms your describing sound like the stalk switch has packed up. It would be the first thing i replace before going down the DIM route.
    I assume its displaying something, just not rotating through the menus??
    Speedo and rev guage all work ok??
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thanks
    The dials or "DIM" are not interchangable on a P2 I'm afraid. If the outside temp/clock/odo has stopped then it's 99% that the DIM is failing. The temp/odo/clock aren't controlled by the stalk.
    Other symptons would be
    Random blips in the info screen
    SRS warning
    Clock running backwards
    "Brake failure stop safely" on info screen
    88:88 on the clock
    random frost warning

The list is endless. Most DIMs won't do all of these symptoms (mine did, that's how I can list them)

A good test is to take the speedo cluster out (don't unplug it) and with the ignition on, forcefully twist the speedo cluster and see if it comes back to life or gets worse. In the early stages (like yours) you can often re-mount the cluster with a couple of washers behind one of the 4 screws to bring it back for a while.
    I'm happy to have a go at for you and would probably get it right but you're better off getting it done by a shop, then if it fails completely, the £735 is on their head
    I can supply pictures of the chip in question (it's only ever the motorola chip) and directions for how to do it if that helps.

I didn't do mine properly the first time and as a result, I had to do it over and over till the PCB and chip had had enough and nearly caught fire on the way to london. I had to beat ££££ out of it to make it konk out as that was safer.

I know what you're going through/have to come mate. I'm happy to help in any way I can. You're not too far from me so willing to meet if needed.

Martin.

EDIT... If just the info screen on the left has frozen, you're in with a chance of it being just the stalk. - When you mentioned outside temp not working, alarm bells started ringing.

EDIT AGAIN speed, revs, fuel and temp are the LAST to go, usually when it's doing it's fruit mackine on jackpot impression
    Last edited by M-R-P; Sunday 20th November 2011 at 20:15.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Lee,
    The clocks and message area etc all work ok. No anomolies there.

Not sure where the info should be but It doesnt display anything for me to scroll so i might get lucky by getting a second hand stalk.

Will start looking around ebay.
    I'm back in a Volvo
    2001 XC70
    Stuff to do:

Get it dirty

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The dials or "DIM" are not interchangable on a P2 I'm afraid. If the outside temp/clock/odo has stopped then it's 99% that the DIM is failing. The temp/odo/clock aren't controlled by the stalk.
    Other symptons would be
    Random blips in the info screen
    SRS warning
    Clock running backwards
    "Brake failure stop safely" on info screen
    88:88 on the clock
    random frost warning

The list is endless. Most DIMs won't do all of these symptoms (mine did, that's how I can list them)

A good test is to take the speedo cluster out (don't unplug it) and with the ignition on, forcefully twist the speedo cluster and see if it comes back to life or gets worse. In the early stages (like yours) you can often re-mount the cluster with a couple of washers behind one of the 4 screws to bring it back for a while.
    I'm happy to have a go at for you and would probably get it right but you're better off getting it done by a shop, then if it fails completely, the £735 is on their head
    I can supply pictures of the chip in question (it's only ever the motorola chip) and directions for how to do it if that helps.

I didn't do mine properly the first time and as a result, I had to do it over and over till the PCB and chip had had enough and nearly caught fire on the way to london. I had to beat ££££ out of it to make it konk out as that was safer.

I know what you're going through/have to come mate. I'm happy to help in any way I can. You're not too far from me so willing to meet if needed.

Martin.

EDIT... If just the info screen on the left has frozen, you're in with a chance of it being just the stalk. - When you mentioned outside temp not working, alarm bells started ringing.
    Big thanks for this input M!! I'm happy to report that ive not had any screwy behaviour at all chap! Just cant see any driver info when i scroll the stalk bezel.

I noticed youre in Poole - I lived in Bournemouth for 7 years and loved every minute. Always looking for an excuse to go back.
    I'm back in a Volvo
    2001 XC70
    Stuff to do:

Get it dirty

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    A picture of it in its current condition may be of some help here so we can clarify whats going on and what exactly is being displayed.

I assume pressing and holding reset works? Does it tell you if the car door is open?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    A picture of it in its current condition may be of some help here so we can clarify whats going on and what exactly is being displayed.

I assume pressing and holding reset works? Does it tell you if the car door is open?
    Hi Lee, will get pix tomorrow for sure.

In the meantime: all error messages like bulb error and doors open work fine. They are timely and no pixels missing.

I can hold in the reset but theres nothing to reset as the area where the messages are displayed is blank when you close all the doors - nothing to reset :/
    I'm back in a Volvo
    2001 XC70
    Stuff to do:

Get it dirty

Thanks
    Big thanks for this input M!! I'm happy to report that ive not had any screwy behaviour at all chap! Just cant see any driver info when i scroll the stalk bezel.

I noticed youre in Poole - I lived in Bournemouth for 7 years and loved every minute. Always looking for an excuse to go back.
    I'm guessing you have pressed the button on the end of the stalk a few times (only works when ignition is in II or run position)? If the wheel has failed, the button wouldn't usually fail too. and you would get something on the display screen.

Before you go spending-out on the stalk, just give the cluster a twist, like I said, won't cost you a penny and would only take 5 mins. Then you could be more sure about what the problem is.

Another possibility would be that the info screen has been turned off for some reason by a stealer or was never active in the first place. I've read about this happening.

Where abouts in Bmth were you? I used to live in bransgore before I moved to poole. Good beaches (where Lucy Pinder was discovered ), good fishing too.

EDIT just read your reply to Lee's comment. deffo try the button on the end of the stalk mate. sounds like it's just in the wrong position

(breathing a sigh of relief that your DIM is probably ok)
    Last edited by M-R-P; Sunday 20th November 2011 at 20:34.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks

...EDIT just read your reply to Lee's comment. deffo try the button on the end of the stalk mate. sounds like it's just in the wrong position

(breathing a sigh of relief that your DIM is probably ok)
    By eck that'd be a right result! I can confirm that the read button works and it pulls a message up saying no messages.

Lived in Westcliffe chap - perfect for town centre and beach. Miss the sea so much - used to sail all year around!! often come down on my bike so will let you know when next in the area - think you might have earned yourself an ale or two
    I'm back in a Volvo
    2001 XC70
    Stuff to do:

Get it dirty

15. The Following User Says Thank You to r07s For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Sunday 20th November 2011)

Thanks
    By eck that'd be a right result! I can confirm that the read button works and it pulls a message up saying no messages.

Lived in Westcliffe chap - perfect for town centre and beach. Miss the sea so much - used to sail all year around!! often come down on my bike so will let you know when next in the area - think you might have earned yourself an ale or two
    Ok! now on the "no message" screen, turn the wheel, any direction, slowly (best to have the engine running now), after a few turns, your info should appear...

Give it a try dude, you should get...

Avg. speed,
    Avg mpg,
    Instant mpg
    Miles to empty tank,
    BLANK

Possibly not in that order

I cut all the timber for the fencing along the cliffs for a 10 mile stretch either side of westcliffe! like the bloody fourth road bridge!

You're welcome to pop by any time bud, (don't expect me to get on the back of no "japanese death bullit" tho! lol)

Let me know if info is now working...

Martin.
    Last edited by M-R-P; Sunday 20th November 2011 at 20:50.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thanks
    By "wheel" I meant the wheel on the stalk
    Not taking the p1ss, the missus said I wasn't clear enough. lol.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok! now on the "no message" screen, turn the wheel, any direction, slowly ...
    M. Have just tried: OK, when i get any message it will stay there until i move the wheel. It then goes blank and remains blank no matter what direction i move the wheel.

I can then make message come back - press read button - and it will remain there until i move the wheel again.

plot thickens eh!
    I'm back in a Volvo
    2001 XC70
    Stuff to do:

Get it dirty

Thanks
    Hmmm, try combinations - press then turn a few, then press and turn a few etc.

Sounding like the info is turned off. Not a torslander is it?

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hmmm, try combinations - press then turn a few, then press and turn a few etc.

Sounding like the info is turned off. Not a torslander is it?
    XC70 chap. ive tired holding down reset and various other combos - wheel obviously does something - albeit remove the message but now need to check if i need to turn function back on??
    I'm back in a Volvo
    2001 XC70
    Stuff to do:

Get it dirty

Thanks
    Just been out and played with my one. When the ignition in the I position, mine works EXACTLY like yours does. If you have tried this with the engine running then I'd say that the other features have been disabled on your car.
    Not a bad thing really, very distracting, trying to watch instantaineous MPG while navigating a roundabout and seeing 2.2 mpg when you boot 2nd is quite upsetting!
    Main stealer job, turning it back on
    Last edited by M-R-P; Sunday 20th November 2011 at 21:31.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information