Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    I have had P Zeros on my old R and yes they did go out of shape and they are bloody expensive!

I also had Vreds Ultracs and they were excellent. No tyre noise and excellent handling. Good price too. Tread pattern was sexy as hell too.

On my current car i had Vred sessantas fitted all round when i first got her and they are excellent. Still got 5mm + of tread and they were fitted 18 months ago!

Only thing to remember with Vredestein Sessanta tyres is you MUST inflate the them by an extra 4psi over whatever the manufacturer states. ie..on my R the tyres should be 36 psi all round (as per hand book and car sticker). So i run them at 39psi. Any Vredestein main stockist should tell you that. He did explain it to me but its to do with the tyres construction. The Sessanta is a High Performance tyre and therefore is expected to be fitted to a car that goes round corners fast! So Vredestein contructed the tyres shape in such a way that its stronger on the outside edge, (Difficult to explain on here). A brand new tyre (any brand) will stand up straight on flat level ground, a Sessanta won't, due to its construction! The additional 4psi is to allow for this and prevents the tyre scrubbing on the outside edge. They are a directional tyre and must only be fitted the correct way. If fitted the wrong way they will seriously affect the cars handling.

As always, a FULL 4 wheel alighnment is a must when you have new tyres.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Nick0 (Friday 18th November 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your comments guys. Vreds and Barums will get a oggling! Not sure about getting to Walthamstow or the Ace Cafe, missus, nippers and the ****ing North Circular A406 will all undoubtedly conspire to frustrate me. I'll meet you boys one of these days though for sure.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick0 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Friday 18th November 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    I have had P Zeros on my old R and yes they did go out of shape and they are bloody expensive!

Thanks Lee - were the PZeros 95 load rating?

Would I need to take my S60R to a my main dealer (who in spite of never having seen a S60R before have been quite good) for 4 wheel alignment?

What should I bank on the alignment costing?

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Protyre are good (main stealer don't usually have alignment kit) If you go the protyre website, there's a £5 off voucher. Mine cost £26 to have the front sorted. If they don't need to adjust anything, they don't charge.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Nick0 (Friday 18th November 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks

Im confused by this statement.Surely if that was the case you would have to get the tracking done all the time as your tyres were wearing down.
    Were did you get this info from because as far as i know the system that volvo use now does not wind up like the old one did.

This user has no status

Thanks
    As LeeT5 says, it is recommended to have a 4 wheel alignment when fitting new tyres.

If you have invested upwards of £400.00 on new tyres it is beneficial to have the tracking done at the same time. This will ensure that the wheels are pointing as the manufacturer designed and will increase the longevity of the tyres.

It does no harm to have the tracking checked on a regular basis, as well as when new tyres are fitted.

The best equipment for tracking is made by Hunter, if you have a local company with this equipment go to them, even if there is a slight premium to pay.
    S60 D5, 2002
    BMW 545i touring

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pauld For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Saturday 19th November 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well all i can say is that Volvo should be informed as well as the tyre fitting companies about this!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    This is for four wheel drive models Jimmie - personally I would want to get this done.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yes i knew it was for that models and its your personal choice to get it done.
    But why get something done that is not needed,all you are doing is wasting money just like buy one get one free offers a lot of the time.
    More profit for the companies.lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Every tyre fitter I have used, I have never used a main dealer for tyres, have always recommended checking the alignment.

Most do not charge for this unless adjustments are needed.

This is for both 2 and 4 wheel drive cars.
    S60 D5, 2002
    BMW 545i touring

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    I just got my wheel alignment done when it was into volvo. Heres my problem im putting my dads 17" pegs on the car for winter, i just rang volvo up and they said there is no need to do it again.
    Thanks
    Martyn

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Once everything points the right way, provided you don't hit a kerb or a big pothole, there's no need to worry. Just best to check the tracking when fitting new rubber, to make sure you don't wear it out unevenly/prematurely.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    Once everything points the right way, provided you don't hit a kerb or a big pothole, there's no need to worry.
    True! Two hopes of not hitting a kerb or pothole, Bob, and No !

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Im confused by this statement.Surely if that was the case you would have to get the tracking done all the time as your tyres were wearing down.
    Were did you get this info from because as far as i know the system that volvo use now does not wind up like the old one did.
    No, as a driver it is your responsibility to check your tyre pressures are correct. This has a major affect on tyre wear. Ultimately, if your alignment is not correct or within spec then your tyres WILL suffer. Other things that affect tyre longevity are making sure your shock absorbers are not worn, Suspension bushes have no play. Things that are out of your control are road surface, weather but if you drive like a lunatic and hank your car round corners then this will also decrease tyre life!
    Have your wheel alignment checked every 12000 miles or when ever you have new tyres fitted is not uncommon and i would say an absolute must. You don't have to hit potholes and kerbs to knock out your wheel alignment!
    This info is from my 21 years driving experience, take it or leave it. Your tyres will last longer if you consider the above facts.

Well all i can say is that Volvo should be informed as well as the tyre fitting companies about this!
    Informed about what exactly?? They ALL know that alignment is key and will always be recommended when having new tyres or after so many miles.

Yes i knew it was for that models and its your personal choice to get it done.
    But why get something done that is not needed,all you are doing is wasting money just like buy one get one free offers a lot of the time.
    More profit for the companies.lol
    Unless you have your wheel alignment checked then you will never know if its within spec or not, will you!?

I highly recommend HUNTER alignment centers as they are the best on the market and the most accurate. Try to avoid Kwik fit type places as its wholly inaccurate and most of the guys using them haven't a clue what their doing.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Friday 18th November 2011 at 19:57.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    I just got my wheel alignment done when it was into volvo. Heres my problem im putting my dads 17" pegs on the car for winter, i just rang volvo up and they said there is no need to do it again.
    They are correct. Tyre/wheel size will not affect the alignment.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

volvokid (Friday 18th November 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    They are correct. Tyre/wheel size will not affect the alignment.
    3rd'd

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

This user has no status

Thanks
    Lee i never said never get your tracking checked just that you dont need to do it everytime you change your tyres.Can you imagine the amount of queueing at the tyre fitting centres if drivers had this done everytime,you never get your tyres fitted.
    I note you said that you have 21 yrs driving experience which would make you still a youngster.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Lee i never said never get your tracking checked just that you dont need to do it everytime you change your tyres.Can you imagine the amount of queueing at the tyre fitting centres if drivers had this done everytime,you never get your tyres fitted.
    I note you said that you have 21 yrs driving experience which would make you still a youngster.
    Youngster i may well be, but if you don't have your wheel alignment checked/adjusted when you have new tyres then your a mug! Why on earth would you want to spend lots of money having new tyres fitted only to have them being scrubbed the moment you drive off into the sunset just because you didn't get your alignment checked?? If you must adopt that practise then you will be in a minority group.
    It is a fact that if your tyres are to be expected to last a long time then the wheel alignment must be a key factor. Anyone that says otherwise is also a fool and wrong. If you wanna prove me wrong then go ahead but i know i am right on this one. I will always have my wheel alignment checked and adjusted as necessary when having one, two or four tyres fitted!

Doing the job i do, i see peoples cars with tyres scrubbed and worn daily and the reason for the excessive tyre wear is becasue they can't be asked or are naive to the fact that they need to check wheel alignment. Not to mention basic servicing and maintenance. For a large majority of people, even checking their tyre pressures is non existant!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Lee i aint no mug nor am i foolish,but i know that a lot of people think that there motors will run for ever for no expense.
    If my motors need anything they get it regardless.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Nick,

i was in the market for the P rosso's - thats what everyone recommended when I rang round.

I,ve just had Continental Sp 235 40's (reinforced side wall) and tracking on my S60 T5 In my humble opinion - tracking is a must - and with new rubber bands it feels like a new car !
    Not too much road noise - sticks like the prevebial to a blanket wet or dry.

Got them from National in the end, tried blackcircles.com but they forgot to put them on the van !

Hope my 2p's worth helps.

Thread Information