Join Today

Thread: Battery issues

This user has no status
    Thanks

Battery issues

Took the car out for a photoshoot last week and left her lights and fogs on for not more than 7-10 minutes but with engine off. Couldn't start her after that.

The wife came with croc-leads and we jump started her but I only drove her home which took two minutes. Next day... dead as a nail.

A couple days later, I jump started her again and this time drover her around for 20-25 minutes and gave her a couple of hard bursts of power and speed in the middle. Turned her engine off and on right after okay but now (two days later) she's dead again.

No, the interior light is not left on by the way. I can't think of any other interior settings etc. that would cause a bleed of the charge so what does this mean?

Oh, and she turns over ever so slightly slower in the increasingly colder weather these mornings as well (but with no coughing). Perhaps one or two more "rer-rer-rers" if you know what I mean but they are (a little) slower than they were earlier this summer when it was warmer.

I'm happy to replace the battery but don't want to if unnecessary. Has anyone got advice about how to determine the problem?

Cheers!

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Looks like new battery time, mine did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    I would say new battery too, my daily driver was doing the same thing a few weeks ago, changed the battery, been ok since.

Try and get a good one too, some of the cheaper batteries don't last a year!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Have you tried charging battery with a charger for a few hours I had to take mine off and charge it when it was left for 4 months when I couldn't drive her

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    Aldi had some small battery chargers that are really good. £18 and they work well charged a deep charge battery in no time, with a metre so you can see it charging.
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Porcine_Aviator For This Useful Post:

cameron (Tuesday 15th November 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Modern batterys tend to just fail rather then become weak and weak....
    sounds like new battery time now as even if you charge it sounds like when it becomes cold it will only fail again

This user has no status

Thanks
    Sounds like a dead or shorted plate in the battery. Will hold charge but not for long is a common symptom.

New battery time. They only last between 5 and 6 years anyway

Modified
    Thanks
    Most of the parts stores that sell batteries also test them. Why not have them test it for you just to make sure?
    You can never have too big a turbo !! 95, 855, auto, R manifold, 19T, OBX, 960 TB, Blues

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If having a battery tested it needs to be fully charged and don't forget car will charge a battery but not as good if it's been flatted as will need a boost of a battery charger that's what I do on any car before replacing a battery as it saves money if unsure

This user has no status
    Thanks
    your having the same problem as i did the other week,went to volvo got a new battery on and been fine since
    Last edited by yorkshire R; Tuesday 15th November 2011 at 16:01.

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkshire R View Post
    your having the same problem as i did the other week,went to volvo got a new battery on and been fince since
    And you need a good battery up there in the Frozen North
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    up north where men are men and sheep are scared!!

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    LOL Quality.

Im having the same problem with mine at the minute, ive got it permanently hooked up to a battery charger cause without it the battery only lasts a couple of days with only the alarm on. I make sure i switch it on for a few hours every night when i get home or i'd have no alarm and the thieving toe rags round here are not to be trusted.

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Things to note..

1, If it's a battery which isn't a maintenence free one then the electrolite level can be adjusted by unscrewing caps on the top of the battery, if it's dropped below the lead plates then these plates can be warped and this will have a detrimental effect on the battery and will result in the need for a replacement battery.

2, It takes a good 10-15 mins of driving for an alternator in a good state of health to replenish the charge taken from the battery when starting an engine. If it's a poorly charged battery or an alternator not providing a healthy amount of charge or there is a high electrical load i.e the interior heater is on, the headlights are on, the heated rear screen is on then the time taken can triple or not even recover enough without use of an auxillary battery charger.

3, If there is a "key off" drain then this will absorb any charge the battery has whilst the car is "idle" and depending on the quantity drained can render a perfectly healthy battery useless within hours...

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

Thread Information