Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

855 T5: Photo-hack, Autobahn, Nurburgring, stickerbombing etc...

I've had a few threads on here about things that have happened with my car, but thought it was time to put everything together in to a project thread....

Probably the most grown up and sensible car I've owned, but working as a photographer who does 30-40k a year at the start of this year I thought it was time to get something something comfy and reliable for a change. Probably not the most cost effective hack though, as it averages in the low 20MPGs!

As I bought it, looking shiny, with relative low miles and totally stock:

I soon after added a set of BBS split rims from a C70, some tints wind deflectors and old style UK pressed plates.

Then headed out the Germany where I was shooting for some car mags.... This didn't quite go to plan though!

As ever I was cruising along at a fair pace in the outside lane, came up to some traffic so backed off slightly as you do.... but without any hesitation the truck pulls out into my lane! Jam on the brakes, but still closing in so some evasive action was required as I headed between the central reservation and the rear of the truck. Had to hit something so the rear of the truck it was!

Some tiny damage on his storage box...

The driver was a total dick.... refusing to give me insurance details etc saying I should call the police if I want them... so I did!

They came along quickly and to my surprise gave the truck driver an absolute bollocking!
    "YOU CANNOT DO ZEES ON ZE AUTOBAHN! PEOPLE MOVE VERY QUICKLY HERE! YOU MUST TAKE NOTE!"
    (He got a fine too).

Funnily enough I'd just set up my phone on the dash to test the angle etc for recording on the 'Ring, so I've even got a video of the crash! Just before it happens you can actually hear stuff clattering forwards in the Volvo as I'm absolutely standing on the brakes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NYo9FRM2cQ

Afterwards I was helped out by the owners of the cars I was shooting in Cologne, so we sourced and bought the parts, and then they got to work fitting while I shot their cars!

Funny how big a hole a rust bubble can turn into after you kick it!!

Sorted!

So with no cash for paint, and a blatant excuse to do it, the stickerbombing started....

It was quick but I had to liven things up a bit. Had it on the rollers after the remap, quite happily did 250 BHP & 300 lb/ft. Nice increase for nothing more than a map!
    (sticker count now also upped too!)

Oh yeah, and here's a little video from a damp and patchy day around the 'Ring from that German trip. Good little tussle with a 135i for most of the lap ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbVZ23ubOPU

Since then the 850 has been hooked up with a towbar and made for a great BDC support car (even if it might technically be overladen, it still tows really well!).

And in its normal duties of a photogear lugger, and mobile platform it does me no wrong....

Couple of weeks ago on location in London:

And last week in Paris ;D

Spec:
    1994 Volvo 855 T5
    2.3 5 cylinder Turbo
    Rica remap
    Diamond tints
    New towbar and electrics
    Recirc' dumpvalve delete
    Insanely comfy heated leather
    Eibach springs
    Aftermarket oil breather

So much replaced & repaired, suspension bits and bushes, various oil leaks sorted, boost hoses, all engine mounts, new tailgate gas rams, rare black double din CD player, new clutch slave and master cylinders, so much more stuff too I can't remember.....

Undecided as what to do with it now..... Might get the wing painted and a matching set of wheels (one of the BBS rims got damaged).
    Or I might sell up and get a Range Rover, or a diseasal auto Volvo.
    (Yes, I'm having uncharacteristicly sensible thoughts regarding my wallet and licence at the moment!)
    Or then again I might just keep on using it as it is. I do like the T5 lots, and it seems a waste to sell it when I've spent tons on it in maintenance.....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    get it sorted and keep it! Not a fan of sticker bombing myself but I can understand why you did it. Get the wing sprayed and bring her back to glory.....add in a 16t turbo, new bbs rim and go have fun!

2003 V40 T4 Sport
    1988 Volvo 245 GLT Estate (Gaining T5 power!)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I actually really like the look of it with the 'bombed wing, I just get fed up with literally everyone and their Gran staring!

Coilovers as well would be very tempting....

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    After finally getting it closer to how you want it, it would be a shame to sell up and get something else. Get another wheel and paint the o/s/f wing, then maybe a coil over set.. Job Done

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Now sold!
    Will be going to it's new owner (who's a mate) on Monday.
    Enjoyed my first Volvo, but time for something else.

Possible replacements?
    Range Rover P38 V8 on LPG
    855R auto
    940 Estate (how rare are HPT versions?)
    V90 (seem very rare, and do they only come as 24v autos?)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ade View Post
    940 Estate (how rare are HPT versions?)
    There are a few about, I've been looking at some. The LPT versions have the same turbo, its just turned down (easily fixed). And the LPT doesn't seem to have the boost gauge built into the clocks.

V90 (seem very rare, and do they only come as 24v autos?)
    Very rare! I'm sure I've seen a manual one before, but they are even rarer. They do have very nice interiors.
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Saturday 4th February 2012 at 00:58.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    shame you sold it
    but for the love of god dont get a p38
    i have owned a couple and used to work in a land rover/rover main dealer and the list of faults is huge
    and the boot isnt as big as my phase 2 v70 either as my dog can vouch for

Rob
    its not broke its airing its diff!
    owner of a 2001 phase 2 v70 t5 auto!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I need something more capable for towing my track car than an estate, hence the Range idea.

So are the LPT 940s mechanically the same as the HPT just with lesser boost?
    Different map? Anything else?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    the only land rover i would consider then would be a discovery td5
    easy to remap for more power
    do 35mpg on a run and tow very well
    and 40% less agro than a p38
    (defenders look cool but not comfortable enough for 20k pa)

Rob
    its not broke its airing its diff!
    owner of a 2001 phase 2 v70 t5 auto!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    I need something more capable for towing my track car than an estate, hence the Range idea.

So are the LPT 940s mechanically the same as the HPT just with lesser boost?
    Different map? Anything else?
    the last 940 classic se/cd estate is the 1 to get the 135 bhp is because the actuator is a preset 1 due to the ecu not controlling the boost.everything else on the car is the same as the hpt.easy way to get 200+bhp is put another actuator on and and an mbc and turn the boost to 14 psi then you can toe anything in comfort.and if you want more power very easy to get 280 to 300 bhp for not alot of money.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Interesting......

3.0 V90 looks tempting as well.

Thread Information