Join Today

Thread: c70 warning.

Hybrid View

This user has no status
    Thanks

c70 warning.

just thought id mention this as im doing an x reg c70 ragtop at work at the moment,a steering rack change,
    reason for change is the welds have broken,
    the welds that fits the mounting points to the rack have broken away (part of the rack)and thus leaving the rack floating about,
    obviously if it gets bad then you would notice it on the steering,but once its broken it will stress the other end mounts,you dont want that breaking when your going down the motorway etc,
    speaking to volvo about it it seems that the c70 has an issue with this happening,so the main point of this thread is purely for your safety,
    if you check your rack out,
    get it up on ramps etc (not wheels hanging)and get someone to gently rock the steering wheel,
    if the mount welds have broken then you will see the n/s end of the rack where it bolts to the cross member moveing,
    the rack moves but the mount stays bolted to the crossmember,obviously it shouldnt be moving.....
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to t5 stealth For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Thursday 17th November 2011),Dave86 (Monday 7th November 2011),Justin (Monday 7th November 2011),M-R-P (Monday 7th November 2011),Nealevo (Thursday 17th November 2011),rikcougar (Monday 7th November 2011),silverback02 (Thursday 19th January 2012),v70rade (Thursday 17th November 2011),volvokid (Friday 18th November 2011),Yorkshiresxi (Tuesday 8th November 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well done for highlighting this - unfortunately it's not just C70 though - My V70 had a new rack for this at 97k and I know of others at about the 100k mark - Mine was originally miss diagnosed as worn inner track rods by an 'expert', but my main dealer finally traced it to the cracked bracket - not a cheap fix IIRC.
    Laser Blue 2000MY V70R (Phase 3) awd, Rica 330, 04 C70 front, Goodridge Hoses - Now up for Sale as of 15th April 2013 - pm me for info.

This user has no status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by v70rade View Post
    Well done for highlighting this - unfortunately it's not just C70 though - My V70 had a new rack for this at 97k and I know of others at about the 100k mark - Mine was originally miss diagnosed as worn inner track rods by an 'expert', but my main dealer finally traced it to the cracked bracket - not a cheap fix IIRC.
    i havnt heard or seen it on any other models,
    this was just my findings on a c70..........
    but hopefully its just an odd occurance
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Good one for bringing this up. I've seen a couple in my local garage getting new racks. Not too expensive of a job either but it seems it's not uncommon..

Regards. SteveRuss

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveRuss For This Useful Post:

t5 stealth (Sunday 27th November 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Unhappy And Again!

Just to confirm that this is a genuine problem - Mine has gone again!

That's a genuine rack in under 43k miles!

Needless to say I shall be making some phone calls in the morning.
    Laser Blue 2000MY V70R (Phase 3) awd, Rica 330, 04 C70 front, Goodridge Hoses - Now up for Sale as of 15th April 2013 - pm me for info.

Thread Information