Join Today
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Just make sure you distinguish between the press-fitted steel sleeve in the wishbone and the outer shell of the bush and don't damage the sleeve - you'll need it for the poly to fit correctly.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Folks

There is a thread over on the Volvo UK forum which we have been maintaining for over four years.

The straight pin is fitted to an uprated bush which was fitted to all years of police spec wishbone.

There are three types of front bush fitted to non-police Phase 2 models from 2000-2007 :

1, The waisted front pin with oil filled rubber wishbone bushes from 2000-2003.
    2, The waisted front pin with solid rubber wishbone bushes from 2003-2004.
    3, The straight police spec front pin with solid rubber wishbone bushes from 2004-2007.

If you own an ex-plod phase 2 vehicle, or pick up a pair of ex-plod wishbones from eBay/breaker they will be fitted with the straight pins, and are NOT compatible wit the Powerflex bushes.

Here is an excerpt from an update I made in July 2010 on the Volvo UK forum.

---

There seems to be some debate around what constitutes the 'original' bush.

The Powerflex fitting instructions are poor - "Leave the original outer sleeve pressed into the lower arm."

I spoke with the tech manager at Powerflex, and this is how it goes :

The original bush is a steel sheath, with rubber core and mounting pin.

This unit is pressed into the outer steel sleeve, which itself is cast into the wishbone.

When you extract the rubber core, it is likely the external sheath will be corroded into the outer sleeve, and must be cut out.

With the wishbone mounted in a large vice, I simply used a hacksaw to split the sheath of the old bush, and work it loose with a blunt screwdriver.
    After cleaning the inner surface of the outer steel sleeve, the poly bushes can be pressed home as described in previous postings.

The inner diam of the outer steel sleeve is 42.5mm, the diam of the PF bush is 44mm.
    This is sufficient to give a safe, secure fixing for the PF bush.

Compressing a poly bush excessively will alter the shore (hardness) rating and give an excessively harsh ride.

These pictures may help to clarify what goes and what stays.

I hope this helps
    Last edited by chopper_harris; Thursday 13th February 2014 at 19:52.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chopper_harris For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Thursday 13th February 2014),stephenevans99 (Thursday 13th February 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Here is a picture which compares the waisted, standard pin and the police spec pin :

(Thanks to Avalaugh)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chopper_harris For This Useful Post:

stephenevans99 (Thursday 13th February 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Just make sure you distinguish between the press-fitted steel sleeve in the wishbone and the outer shell of the bush and don't damage the sleeve - you'll need it for the poly to fit correctly.
    I am currently refurbing a set of 2001 arms, including new Lemforderer rear locating bushes.

To recap, the steel sleeve is the remainder of the original front bush, which was cast into the arm. O/D = 48 mm, I/D = 44 mm.

This one is about to go in the Aga for 30 mins, prior to fitting the Lemforderer rear bush (which is in the freezer)

The Powerflex is fitted when it has cooled down, and is a straight fit into this sleeve from right to left - easy.

To replace the front bush with an OEM type would require heat and a flypress to press out this sleeve, and press in the new bush - not trivial.
    Last edited by chopper_harris; Thursday 13th February 2014 at 19:53.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to chopper_harris For This Useful Post:

stephenevans99 (Thursday 13th February 2014)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopper_harris View Post
    I am currently refurbing a set of 2001 arms, including new Lemforderer rear locating bushes.

To recap, the steel sleeve is the remainder of the original front bush, which was cast into the arm. O/D = 48 mm, I/D = 44 mm.

This one is about to go in the Aga for 30 mins, prior to fitting the Lemforderer bush (which is in the freezer)

The Powerflex is fitted when it has cooled down, and is a straight fit into this sleeve from right to left - easy.

To replace the front bush with an OEM type would require heat and a flypress to press out this sleeve, and press in the new bush - not trivial.

freeze the bush and heat up the arm. im lucky that ive got a 10 ton press in the garage
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Thanks
    interesting... my ex plod had fluted rods... as seen in the first page of this thread.

heat? freezer? fly press? sounds like a bit of a faff when a bench vice and some G clamps is enough?

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    mine needed turning down to make them fit.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    heat? freezer? fly press? sounds like a bit of a faff when a bench vice and some G clamps is enough?
    If you can fit a new rear steel/rubber wishbone bush with G clamps I would like to see the result.

Kawasaki T5. Built by a Swede,
    Driven by a turnip!
    Thanks
    lol i tried with a vice and some scafholding tbe and no luck. so had to use my old mans press in the end lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chopper_harris View Post
    If you can fit a new rear steel/rubber wishbone bush with G clamps I would like to see the result.
    Bench vice... clicky linky

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information