Join Today
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    Where there's trouble... Hamish is never far away!

Then again... I'd rather hire a good engineer who was a terrible politician... than the other way around.

Discuss LMFAO
    No doubt Hamish is a great mechanic and knowlegeable. My gripe is that he talks to people completely the wrong way (in my experience), and I hate arrogant people of which he is definitely one.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post
    He just needs to stop talking to people like they are idiots then he will get on a lot better with people. I will not tolerate being spoken to like i'm an idiot by anyone.
    without meaning to stick my two pennies worth in. I see you have not been on here all that long compared to some of us and Im guessing your chat with Hamish was maybe your first. then in that case allow me to say that Hamish may well to the new person come across in the manner in which you see him. im sure others as well as myself when I first met him thought along the same lines. but that was before I got to know him. and 6 years down the line I can honestly say that Hamish is Hamish. you either love him or hate him.. some people come across as whimpy. some as Arrogant. some as a know it all. some as dumb as thick as two short planks. but I have always found him to be the Nicest Bloke you could ever want to meet when you get to know him.. sure he may sound abrupt. but that is just Hamish. its nothing personal. its how he talks.. I know a fair few Scottish guys and they all have that Forward and abrupt manner... part of being scottish I guess.. same as I know a fair few guys from down south who come across the total opposite...Im an HGV truck driver and have been for longer than I care to remember. I am very open and a joker and some take it as being a big head etc but its just me. and those that know me know its nothing personal. its my personality. sure I talk big when it comes to driving a 60ft long 44 ton truck coz Im good at my job.. I can reverse a truck blind side onto a loading bay in a small gap between two trailers first time without having to shunt back and forth. where as some drivers have to take it slow and have several goes at it.. its not that im a show off.. I am just good at what I do and have a natural flare for my work. If someone at work who is new to the job says they are gonna do something or thinks they can drive one of our trucks somewhere when I and other long term drivers know they are wrong. sure we will pipe up and say dont be a ****. not coz we are arrogent. but because we have the years of experience to know that what the newbie is saying wont work. plain and simple.. experience in a certain field gives one a more experienced view on said subject. we can all see good and bad in others. and can take things personally when we dont know someone. but when you get to know people and see the real person. then views can change... Hamish. is just a bloke from up north with an up north personality. doesnt mean he is arrogant.. just means he is Scottish.. and if he didnt know what he was talking about. then there wouldnt be hundreds of people on here all with great cars that have worked great for years.. I think HLM's results over the years and the amount of happy people on here pretty much speaks for itself... anyhow. now I have warmed my fingers up on the keyboard. I think its time for bed :-)

p.s. yes there are also a few who have not been happy in the past with hlm. but thats the same in all walks of life. you cant please 100% of the people 100% of the time.. perfection is an impossibility. but the Majority are happy bunnies.... Nite Ya'll..!!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Storm-Troll For This Useful Post:

mitchyboy01 (Monday 31st October 2011),volvokid (Monday 31st October 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm-Troll View Post
    without meaning to stick my two pennies worth in. I see you have not been on here all that long compared to some of us and Im guessing your chat with Hamish was maybe your first. then in that case allow me to say that Hamish may well to the new person come across in the manner in which you see him. im sure others as well as myself when I first met him thought along the same lines. but that was before I got to know him. and 6 years down the line I can honestly say that Hamish is Hamish. you either love him or hate him.. some people come across as whimpy. some as Arrogant. some as a know it all. some as dumb as thick as two short planks. but I have always found him to be the Nicest Bloke you could ever want to meet when you get to know him.. sure he may sound abrupt. but that is just Hamish. its nothing personal. its how he talks.. I know a fair few Scottish guys and they all have that Forward and abrupt manner... part of being scottish I guess.. same as I know a fair few guys from down south who come across the total opposite...Im an HGV truck driver and have been for longer than I care to remember. I am very open and a joker and some take it as being a big head etc but its just me. and those that know me know its nothing personal. its my personality. sure I talk big when it comes to driving a 60ft long 44 ton truck coz Im good at my job.. I can reverse a truck blind side onto a loading bay in a small gap between two trailers first time without having to shunt back and forth. where as some drivers have to take it slow and have several goes at it.. its not that im a show off.. I am just good at what I do and have a natural flare for my work. If someone at work who is new to the job says they are gonna do something or thinks they can drive one of our trucks somewhere when I and other long term drivers know they are wrong. sure we will pipe up and say dont be a ****. not coz we are arrogent. but because we have the years of experience to know that what the newbie is saying wont work. plain and simple.. experience in a certain field gives one a more experienced view on said subject. we can all see good and bad in others. and can take things personally when we dont know someone. but when you get to know people and see the real person. then views can change... Hamish. is just a bloke from up north with an up north personality. doesnt mean he is arrogant.. just means he is Scottish.. and if he didnt know what he was talking about. then there wouldnt be hundreds of people on here all with great cars that have worked great for years.. I think HLM's results over the years and the amount of happy people on here pretty much speaks for itself... anyhow. now I have warmed my fingers up on the keyboard. I think its time for bed :-)

p.s. yes there are also a few who have not been happy in the past with hlm. but thats the same in all walks of life. you cant please 100% of the people 100% of the time.. perfection is an impossibility. but the Majority are happy bunnies.... Nite Ya'll..!!!
    I'm glad you wrote this because I know it's hard to judge someones character from one conversation. I was just fuming when I got off the phone as I didn't expect just to be dismissed like that at all as it has never happened to me before with any other company. He probably is a nice guy, I know some people come across wrong and you need to actually get to know them. Maybe that is what has happened here, I don't know???

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitchyboy01 For This Useful Post:

Storm-Troll (Monday 31st October 2011),volvokid (Monday 31st October 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm glad you wrote this because I know it's hard to judge someones character from one conversation. I was just fuming when I got off the phone as I didn't expect just to be dismissed like that at all as it has never happened to me before with any other company. He probably is a nice guy, I know some people come across wrong and you need to actually get to know them. Maybe that is what has happened here, I don't know???
    Lets just say that Knowing Hamish and knowing how you feel as I thought Hamish to be rather abrupt the first time I spoke to him. but them after meeting him and seeing him interact with everyone around him I saw It wasnt anything personal toward me. Its how he is with everyone from family.. friends down to joe bloggs who walks in off the street, then I sussed that It was just who he was and is.. a bloody good bloke. who you can have a wicked laugh with and shoot the S**t with when you get to know him. I think maybe you may have taken it to heart as I first did. and Im sure if you ever met the man. your View. like mine. would change instantly....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Storm-Troll For This Useful Post:

mitchyboy01 (Monday 31st October 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have few mates are like this myself TBH.

Still want that race with T5monkey though haha

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mitchyboy01 For This Useful Post:

Storm-Troll (Monday 31st October 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have few mates are like this myself TBH.

Still want that race with T5monkey though haha
    Well im glad we can all end the evening on a positive note.. and i think we all have the odd mate here and there like that. just takes a while to get to know people I guess.. I think the old quote "dont judge a book by its cover" fits in rather well here...lol...

Damn I knew I should have been a relationship counsellor. I could have been rich by now lol.!!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Storm-Troll For This Useful Post:

Nathlm (Tuesday 1st November 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm-Troll View Post
    Well im glad we can all end the evening on a positive note.. and i think we all have the odd mate here and there like that. just takes a while to get to know people I guess.. I think the old quote "dont judge a book by its cover" fits in rather well here...lol...

Damn I knew I should have been a relationship counsellor. I could have been rich by now lol.!!!!
    i can blindside reverse too in the pitch black thats fun lol.and jamest5r can too ive saw him do it big head lol.all i have to say regarding hamish is you have to know hamish to understand hamish.he has had loads of so called modded cars turn up on his door at the garage and he has refused to map them because they were death traps and not properly done not saying that you wont do it properly but you have to see it from his point that he does not want to put his name to something he does not trust.me and hamish know if the is something not right about a car i have done he will point it out and i will go away and sort the problem out so he is happy to put on the rollers.hamish as teached me alot by doing this so i always make sure i do the best possible job i can and as proffessionally as possible too so my cars dont get sent away.and take it from me im very metecullas about doing my cars to the best they can .and dont forget a run a 940 with a t38 garrett on it but i have built the car to make sure its strong enough to take the turbo i have fitted though.thisis not saying that you are not going to build a car to be strong enough for the holset but just making a point.but i have an idea for you though.read up about the cmd unit im using and if you fit one of those and a wideband you can map the car yourself or another tuner can map it for you your choice.personally i trust hamish and i will be seeing him in a couple of weeks to spend a day with him remapping my car and he is going to teach me more info about using the cmd to its full potential and show me how to map my car too.as i said before you need to know hamish that my 2 pence worth.hamish sells the cmd if you are interested.and regarding the holset the are quite a few 240/740/940 using hx35 in america and europe to but we are talking about the ultra strong redblocks though.but you have to use a small compressor housing and they are also twin scroll to .also you will have to build a custom manifold for that turbo because it will not fit the volvo manifold and they are also oil cooled only not water so you are going to need an external oil cooler too.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

Storm-Troll (Tuesday 1st November 2011),The Flying Moose (Wednesday 2nd November 2011),volvokid (Tuesday 1st November 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ps i cannot spell very well ether lol

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

Storm-Troll (Tuesday 1st November 2011),The Flying Moose (Wednesday 2nd November 2011)

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Nicely put ST

PS Blind siding in easy lol

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

Storm-Troll (Tuesday 1st November 2011)

How can the owner of a C70
    have no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    ps i cannot spell very well ether lol
    And your grammar is c**p but having met you I must say you are a pleasant sort.

2005 S60 T5 SE X PLOD RICA 300 MAP

This user has no status
    Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rikcougar View Post
    And your grammar is c**p but having met you I must say you are a pleasant sort.
    id just come off a night shift driving trucks and been awake for nearly 24 hrs so yes my grammer is rubbish lol.and thanks for the comments mate nice to have met you too and to see you at one of the next meets
    Last edited by smithy; Tuesday 1st November 2011 at 14:03.

This user has no status

Thanks
    [QUOTE=mitchyboy01;420499]

Volvo T4 with Holset HX35 truck turbo:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG_dApRvmFE[/ame]

100-160kmh (60-100mph) ~3.5 secs! Quicker than JC's Garrett powered stripped out 850 used to be!! A 997 GT3 covers the same interval in 5.1 secs according to Torquestats.

A few of the guys on here (Dave and Lance?) have had Autotech custom map their cars at HLM. Your smaller Holset should be easier to tame than that HX35.
    Last edited by jardon; Tuesday 1st November 2011 at 18:24.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Indeed I have a custom map from Autotech. mid to top end is very quick. 76 to 104 in ~ 4.5 seconds.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Someone close this now plz ..... If the people in question have yet to sort it out either meet up face to face like grown men and sort it out as this Internet bitching just puts a downer on things... Both peeps have aired there views job done end the thread plz
    now you see me OPPS now ya dont lololol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cheers Dave, I wasn't sure.

Mitch - what spec or part number is your Holset?
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    if you are on about a turbo on your t4 mitch why is it on ebay for sale?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
    if you are on about a turbo on your t4 mitch why is it on ebay for sale?
    I have 2 T4's ATM, an S40 and a V40. The S40 has been looked after a lot better so I'm going to use this as a base for the project.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to mitchyboy01 For This Useful Post:

T5frankie (Tuesday 1st November 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jardon View Post
    Cheers Dave, I wasn't sure.

Mitch - what spec or part number is your Holset?
    Holset HE221W with the billet compressor wheel, worth a shot I reckon at the price I got it, and be a little different. It might be crap but anyone who's used one seems to love them for low rpm spool and top end.

Here is a basic spec see bottom post:

http://www.fccuk.org/forum/ubbthread...&Number=690064

Hardly any info anywhere on it really. I couldn't find an HX30 so HE221W is between HX27W and HX30 from what I can gather.
    Last edited by mitchyboy01; Tuesday 1st November 2011 at 20:07.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Holset HE221W with the billet compressor wheel, worth a shot I reckon at the price I got it, and be a little different. It might be crap but anyone who's used one seems to love them for low rpm spool and top end.

Here is a basic spec see bottom post:

http://www.fccuk.org/forum/ubbthread...&Number=690064

Hardly any info anywhere on it really. I couldn't find an HX30 so HE221W is between HX27W and HX30 from what I can gather.
    Thanks Mitch. You need to work on your Googling! Peak flow 39lbs/minute (approx 500cfm) and comparable with a Mitsu 16g but quicker spool. Apparentlly suited to ~300bhp applications but 39lbs/min = more than 300bhp. It's what Shadowmaker used to on a V70 TDi a while back to make 250bhp and 500NM. So not a big turbo by any stretch of the imagination - do some digging on non-Volvo forums for more advice specific to the HE221W. It sounds well suited to your T4 on paper but then I'm running a boring old 19t. Mapping will make or break any hardware choices and that would be where I started my enquiries - you need someone with the ability to custom map that ECU from scratch. For what it's worth Marcos 700bhp S60R was running a huge Holset the last time I spoke to him so the skills are out there.
    Last edited by jardon; Tuesday 1st November 2011 at 20:56.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info Jardon. I saw Shadowmakers thread but didn't know how much 250bhp on diesel would equate to on a petrol, although trying to learn as quick as I can. How did you find out what 39 lbs/min equates to in bhp? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I am trying =)

LOL at ''boring 19T''. I think we both know the 19T is a great turbo for our cars. The only reason I chose different is because the Holset was very cheap, well spec'd and something a bit different. I by no means meant to cause offence to anyone running the 19T set up when I said it had been so many times before.

As for mapping, I don't think I've made myself many friends with the HLM thread so I will probably have more limited options. I will have to cross that hurdle when I (eventually) come to it.

Thanks mate,

Mitch
    Last edited by mitchyboy01; Tuesday 1st November 2011 at 22:44.

Thread Information