Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

s70r engine tapping noise

was driving last night in cold weather was boostin about 1.3 bar when all of a sudden there became a horrible tapping noise from the engine like a hydraulic lifter has collapsed its in time with the engine ie gets faster with the engine and does not get any worse under load and off load performance is the same and starts runs and idles fine could this be lifters gummed up as im unsure when it was last service as ive only had it a few months help please

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by waynes40t4 View Post
    was driving last night in cold weather was boostin about 1.3 bar when all of a sudden there became a horrible tapping noise from the engine like a hydraulic lifter has collapsed its in time with the engine ie gets faster with the engine and does not get any worse under load and off load performance is the same and starts runs and idles fine could this be lifters gummed up as im unsure when it was last service as ive only had it a few months help please
    check your oil level, if its low top it up. If the oil level is fine then do a couple of quick oil changes
    P1 V70 2.5T Scorpion Exhaust, 3" downpipe 100cel cat, BSR induction, KKK24, GWE 3" Maf to turbo pipe,japanifold , 2010 V50 T5 Alloys Projector Headlamps with 5k Hid kit Quickshift kit, strut brace, Koni Yellow Sport,IPD BCS AET motorsport remap
    Previous: 2004 XC90 T6, 240GLT Estate, 343DL
    Toys: Capri 3.7 Twin turbo, Kawasaki ZX10R 2006,

This user has no status
    Thanks
    HI Wayne, i hope it isn't but it could be a rod, i know some other forum member who did a rod in cold weather, he boosted to 24psi,

Gary.
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

Needs more boost
    Thanks
    Is the noise coming from top or bottom end?
    I had a similar noise appear after kicking it's head in and spun 2 big end bearings.
    Ended up having to find 3blocks as the first two were scrap and i've still not had it running properly since.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    oh dear and that had such a sweet engine that motor, sounds the same as mine did i've just had the engine replaced.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    well it has plenty if oil in there and noise sound like its coming from the top im going to get some good engine flush from work in the morning andput some decent oil in there and hope that cures it if not im going to send her to be made into a cube

Not from Newcastle
    Further North than Foammanmark
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks
    Ive got a dodgy tapping noise to from the bottom end. Been like that since i got it couple months ago. All seems to be fine. Got my MBC set at 1.4 bar and it most certinaly pulls ok. Wonder if its had some damage in the past.
    Current Car: VW Golf GT TDI 170 DSG

Old Cars: Saffy V70R, S60 2.4T SE, 854 T5, V70 T5, S70R, Saab 95 2.3 AERO, Seat Leon Cupra, Vauxhaul Vectra 2.5 V6 GSI, Vauxhaul Combo van 1.4 D

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ok well i have put an engine flush in there and changed oil still tapping away from the top end how likely is this to be the bottom end it will be going up for sale as i cant be bothered with it and its still to good to scrap

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by waynes40t4 View Post
    ok well i have put an engine flush in there and changed oil still tapping away from the top end how likely is this to be the bottom end it will be going up for sale as i cant be bothered with it and its still to good to scrap
    what do you want for it?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Before going all out to scrap or sell it would be worth investing in getting a good mechanic or Volvo to check it over. Have you monitored oil pressure hot and cold? If not you can buy a cheap oil pressure electrical gauge and check oil pressure first as the sump orings between it and the block do deteriorate with age and can create the knocking you mention as oil pressure is not quite right.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    sounds like a bent rod he has had the boost up too high which is exactly what happened to mine

This user has no status
    Thanks
    well i cant get my head round it and cant afford to pay for someone to tell me what it aint ive had many people look at it and all say its either bearings or hydraulic lifter both of which will be to expensive for my wallet whilst im job less i have another engine coming for it but dont have anywhere or tools to do it, i have the no-how but just lost heart in the poor girl i would be sad to see it go and would take a sensible offer knowing what its worth. unless someone volvo and engine minded near by could tell me what it is

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    hi work out a price your after and post it up on here i have a very good low mileage engine sitting around doing nothing and a car trailer hmmmm i might just be tempted

This user has no status
    Thanks
    it owes me 1500 but i know i wont get that for it i wont take no less than a grand as i might as well stick it in my garage and leave it in there to rest

Thread Information