Join Today
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 v70r

This user has no status
    Thanks

2005 v70r

After a long time away from here, I'm back and in need of some advice. I'm going to look at a '05 plate V70R next week, and possibly returning to the Volvo fold.

Can anyone tell me what to look out for? I had an '06 V70R for a couple of years, but as nothing ever went wrong with it, I've no idea if there are any "stock faults" to look out for.

Thanks in advance!

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    there's a fair bit that can go wrong with those - PM 'Santa20' on here he'll fill you in!

Main things... 4wd issues, cracked block, misty/faulty xenons.

Why the V70r rather than a remapped V70 T5 estate?

Real-world performance is similar ... and you'll have cash left over for upgrades if you go T5.
    Last edited by t5_monkey; Friday 14th October 2011 at 22:07.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    V70 T5 all the way!
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    They have there problems but when its working properley and you decide to have a bit of a play they are great :-) (And you soon develop a sense of humor for the repair bills.....the kids soon get used to having to go to school in shoes with holes in.....dog still needs that brain operation).

Oh and don't drag race it...........tends to put all sorts of strain on components and they aren't that great at the olde 1/4 mile anyway
    Last edited by Santa; Friday 14th October 2011 at 22:30.
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Santa For This Useful Post:

racer (Saturday 15th October 2011),t5_monkey (Friday 14th October 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for the pointers. Why a V70R and not a T5? Basically because my last R was the best road car I've ever had by some margin. The 4WD really helps with some of the places I have to get to in winter for work stuff. Then there's race weekends, you can put the awning, tools, genny etc in the back, hook up the trailer and it will still go up motorway hills in 6th gear.

It was a leased company car, and if Volvo hadn't decided to stop building them, I'd have had another one when it was time to change.

I just can't afford the tax with the company car anymore, hence looking for another V70R.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to racer For This Useful Post:

volvokid (Saturday 15th October 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've been doing some research too as I really fancy an R. The biggest problem is the 'angle gear' - this manifests itself on all variants of Volvo 4WD - google it and see the amount of XC90s with the problem. I don't know about the cracked block issue - what about the current S40 T5s and previous gen Focus STs?

In my ever so 'umble opinion, I would get the brute up on the ramp at least once every six months and check the angle gear oil seals as that's what goes.

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    I wouldnt worry to much about the block, all performance cars have there flaws, i havnt heard of any standard blocks failing unless the engines tunned, my mates ST cracked the block but it is rather fiddled with. Go with the R there far better you should know this from past, far better than a T5.
    not everyone out there tunes there cars
    Thanks
    Martyn

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    People do crack blocks with the 2.5T... but generally they are tuned, even then it's basically pot luck from what I read.

If you're worried about the winter get a set of Winter tyres! The 4WD does sound nice for when it's wet and slippery tho...

S60R will need remapping to be genuinely quicker than a T5.

To give you an idea - mines bolt on stage 3, and it adds more speed in the 2nd 1/8 of the 1/4 mile than Santas Stage 2 S60R (although his is WAY quicker timewise in the first)

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    In standard form a manual R will kill a T5 i have driven every one of the T5 phases and R's
    Last edited by volvokid; Saturday 15th October 2011 at 12:15.
    Thanks
    Martyn

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    I think its just the angle gear and suspension that you should look out for on a standard manual car.

I know richard (santa20) has had a few issues with his, but he does tend to drive it hard. lol

and even when totally standard the R does look far more "special" than a T5.
    Last edited by LiamT4; Saturday 15th October 2011 at 13:56.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    S60R will need remapping to be genuinely quicker than a T5.
    Both standard the S60R will still have the edge even on a run. A mapped later T5 will most likely be quicker in real terms than a standard S60R.

On the corners and more twisty bits in anything other than absolutely perfect conditions with similar drivers the S60R will end up having more than an edge over the T5.

Really comes down to what you prefer though, AWD you end up replacing 4 tyres instead of 2 and pay more in fuel for the weight and friction.
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Santa For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Saturday 15th October 2011)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    This is an interesting debate!

I'd be tempted by the R... they do look awesome - basically you only live once so why not

Bear in mind if you have either the T5 or the R... if you spend some money on upgrading the Suspension and handing which has never been a Volvo strong-point.... you'll be quicker than either stock in most conditions apart from a pure straight line, and have a lot more fun driving it.

IMHO polybushing, the IPD rear roll bar, Good Dampers (bilstein or similar) are far better upgrades than more power. Just had mine fully polybushed with all the kit listed above and more, and it's sublime to drive on a twisty road.
    Last edited by t5_monkey; Saturday 15th October 2011 at 17:58.

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    The only suspension mods needed on an R are the thicker IPD front and rear ARB's. Stick in a better intercooler and some WI and you are ready to roll. Seem to have dropped in price recently and it's a hell of a lot of car for the money.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Redbrick For This Useful Post:

volvokid (Saturday 15th October 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    If I was in the market for a performance phase II 60/70 series car I'd have no second thoughts about picking the R. At no point would I be left thinking I should have gone for the T5 because I have

Better brakes
    Better suspension
    Better traction
    Better seats
    Better residual values
    Better front bumper
    Better standard exhaust and rear bumper to accomodate
    Bi-Xenon headlights
    Pegs and yes mine would be 18's
    300 BHP

and that is as it comes from the factory too so saving a bundle not having to upgrade a T5 to be "on par" with the above R spec in an effort to differentiate it from a D5..

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

MIKESC70T5 (Sunday 16th October 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave stew View Post
    I've been doing some research too as I really fancy an R. The biggest problem is the 'angle gear' - this manifests itself on all variants of Volvo 4WD - google it and see the amount of XC90s with the problem. I don't know about the cracked block issue - what about the current S40 T5s and previous gen Focus STs?

In my ever so 'umble opinion, I would get the brute up on the ramp at least once every six months and check the angle gear oil seals as that's what goes.
    As an R owner for nearly 3 years I have had all the problems you speak of.The angle gear parts are less than a £100 + a liquid gasket.All it is are seals and gaskets.Not a biggie.IMHO an R is far superior to a T5.Bigger brembo brakes,Pegasus alloys,active chassis with the more aggressive map in advanced setting,AWD,blue dials,spaceball gearshifter,the rarity value,stronger engine,better noise.Other problems are the dual fuel pumps,clutch and flywheel plus the struts.£550 for one from Volvo or you can buy 2(same Monroe strut)on Ebay for £330.Mine has been remapped to 340 bhp and a 3 inch SS exhaust that pops and bangs even at moderate revs.It sounds fantastic!They can be a massive PITA but whens all going well they are brilliant.It`s the best car I`ve ever owned and you can,literally,go months without seeing another one so its the perfect sleeper too.No-one knows how quick they are.To sum up expect to have these problems around the 100k mark but once they are fixed all will be well.I`m thinking of selling mine early next year and I`ll miss her.This year she`s been bullet-proof and a joy to drive and own.
    Steve

21. The Following User Says Thank You to STEVO RRR For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Sunday 16th October 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Its good to see the comments from people in defence of the later R's that actually owned one,not just tittle tattle (hearsay).

There are a lot of people that comment againt them that have never had a seat in one let alone driven them.
    They are a different machine to the T5,thats why there is a price difference when they were new?
    Last edited by Jimmie; Sunday 16th October 2011 at 12:44.

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've sat in one.... Santa20's

Is lovely and very plush.

When all is said and done - follow your gut instinct... your wallet will cope!

Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    I've sat in one.... Santa20's

Is lovely and very plush.

When all is said and done - follow your gut instinct... your wallet will cope!
    And the electric windows are very strong. (Sorry).

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Santa For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Sunday 16th October 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ive had my S60R for 2 years and 15k its now done 97K ,the more you drive one the more you like them.The brakes,grip ,sure footed road holding, trim and that fact you have something a bit unique are what makes an R special ,
    Mine has been no more expensive to maintain than a T5 , i changed all the drivetrain fluids when i got it as Most angle gears fail due to the fact they run out of oil,i do the spannering myself although it still goes to MRG for a service
    Having the injectors cleaned is also worth while and over 30mpg on a run is achiveable. I now have the dilema if i sell it im sure i will miss it ( i regert selling my 850 T5) and what would i get to replace it ? an R is a lot of car for the money

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by santa20 View Post
    And the electric windows are very strong. (Sorry).
    Forgot about that! Yeah it has hungry windows ready to give you a nibble...

Thread Information