Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fassi1 View Post
    What do u reckon to EBC Turbo grooved discs or EBC Ultimax discs?
    Are they gonna be better option than Brembo Max?
    Any experiences with EBC?
    been a few years now but i had big trouble with EBC discs cracking, went thru several sets on the 850 (replaced under guarantee). Never used them since

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    been a few years now but i had big trouble with EBC discs cracking, went thru several sets on the 850 (replaced under guarantee). Never used them since
    What discs do u have on ur S60 now?
    Will 320mm fit S60? The hight is different on 320mm and its 50mm.
    The hight on 305mm is 51mm. Does that make any difference?
    Last edited by fassi1; Sunday 29th January 2012 at 18:23.

Thanks
    What discs do u have on ur S60 now?
    Will 320mm fit S60? The hight is different on 320mm and its 50mm.
    The hight on 305mm is 51mm. Does that make any difference?
    i've still got the original discs on that the car came with, i'd of thought you'd need new caliper carriers for the bigger discs. TBH i don't get what you mean about the height

This user has no status
    Thanks

Thanks
    ah right, the overall depth of the disc. No i don't think 1mm difference there will be an issue

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Im so confused now, dont know what to go for.

230K, aiming for 300k!

Thanks
    I'm also interested in other people's reviews on different stoppers. There's so many out there ranging from the budget 'get you through MOT' to the ridiculous £3.5k brembo racing setup.

I suppose it's a case of what you expect from them. In my case:

V70 D5
    Carry a bootful of heavy junk all the time
    Mainly motorway mileage with some fast A-Roading
    Want to be able to stop from motorway speeds quickly
    Don't want to be replacing pads every 5,000 miles
    Not fussed about brake dust.

I'm in the market for a whole new rear set (Discs, pads, handbrake shoes) as I've been advised they're on the low side, and my car does a good impression of an old automatic in park when the hand brake is on (rolls backwards and forwards about 4 inches).

The front discs are almost shot too, so I might go for a full set. Any reccomendations? The usual suspects all stock Mintex red box. Anyone with any experience as they seem to be good value. Or is a OEM replacement from GSF the way to go? If I can get some improvement on stock for not much more then I may be interested.

So for the original poster (covering my subtle thread hijack): What best describes what you're doing and what you expect?

As for hoses... as has been said before, they all have to put up with many hundreds of PSI's of hydraulic pressure. They will all be reinforced within the makup of the hose. The chance of the hose expanding enough to need to be retained by the overbraiding is low i would imagine under normal conditions. It's just down to looks, and to be fair braided hoses do look nicer than black rubber.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I have to update my front brakes too. After remap and extra 50BHP its hard to stop it from 120mph Getting a lot of vibration on the steering wheel when i put my foot on the brakes doing 100-120mph.
    Just don't know what discs should i go for having similar power to standard T5.
    What about grooved or drilled discs?
    Is braking a lot better than with standard discs?
    Why would it be any harder to stop from 120 mph after a remap?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Matt - my recommendation (depending on budget) would be Ferodo DS2500 and goodridge lines.

I use Zimmerman 302mm disks which are fine.

I would like to upgrade to a BBK primarily for my track days. IMHO BBKs are not necessary for the road (unless you drive like a complete loony - in which case you need to slow down).
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Why would it be any harder to stop from 120 mph after a remap?
    Horses are heavy Dave. Even a little pony could weigh 500kg. So 50 extra horses under your bonnet would add 25 tonnes to your GVW
    Last edited by hamish; Wednesday 15th February 2012 at 22:17. Reason: i can't smell

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBurnWorld View Post
    I'm also interested in other people's reviews on different stoppers. There's so many out there ranging from the budget 'get you through MOT' to the ridiculous £3.5k brembo racing setup.

I suppose it's a case of what you expect from them. In my case:

V70 D5
    Carry a bootful of heavy junk all the time
    Mainly motorway mileage with some fast A-Roading
    Want to be able to stop from motorway speeds quickly
    Don't want to be replacing pads every 5,000 miles
    Not fussed about brake dust.

I'm in the market for a whole new rear set (Discs, pads, handbrake shoes) as I've been advised they're on the low side, and my car does a good impression of an old automatic in park when the hand brake is on (rolls backwards and forwards about 4 inches).

The front discs are almost shot too, so I might go for a full set. Any reccomendations? The usual suspects all stock Mintex red box. Anyone with any experience as they seem to be good value. Or is a OEM replacement from GSF the way to go? If I can get some improvement on stock for not much more then I may be interested.

So for the original poster (covering my subtle thread hijack): What best describes what you're doing and what you expect?

As for hoses... as has been said before, they all have to put up with many hundreds of PSI's of hydraulic pressure. They will all be reinforced within the makup of the hose. The chance of the hose expanding enough to need to be retained by the overbraiding is low i would imagine under normal conditions. It's just down to looks, and to be fair braided hoses do look nicer than black rubber.
    First, the rolling back and forth thing is perfectly normal, scared the hell out of me till i found out it was supposed to do it. I have oe brembo front 305s with plod pads and it stopps hard from high speed and no squirming. 88 quid for the disks from gsf and 37 quid for pads from euro.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts

Smile R brembo brakes front

Hi just did my front discs brembo discs + brembo pads should have been nice and easy but o/s front inner pad had Jamed up in calliper had to hammer it out that was why it was rubbing when turning corners ,
    The R callipers are made of alu so there is a stainless steel shim that guides the pads into the callipers top and bottom
    ,but on my lower one the alu under the guide had a very small bit of corrosion which had pushed the stainless guide up a bit which Jamed up the pad in the calliper
    just removed the guide cleaned up dab of paint refitted guide bit of stud lock on screw.
    Also the brake fluid bottle was to full when the pistons were pushed back in had to remove some the garage must have over filled it at service.
    brakes now spot on should have taken 45mins but did it 1 1/2 .
    Last edited by Harvey; Sunday 6th May 2012 at 14:18.

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Apologies for the minor hijack.....I'll be replacing the front discs & pads on my S60 D5 shortly and thought it's a perfect time to upgrade my discs.

It looks like my car is fitted with 285mm discs, what carriers do I need to fit the 305mm discs & do I need to replace the hoses?

There's a pair of 302mm carriers for sale on the forum - I take it these would be for the 850's.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks
    They're for the 850s indeed, I think the bolt size is different. The P2 stuff uses larger bits all round, as I found out last week.
    Don't think you'll need different hoses but it's good to change them after a few years any way.
    It'll just be the carriers that need changing. You can use my reg to get disks and pads etc if you need to.

P.S., you still interested in that speedo top thingy?

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Cheers Martin......the speedo top is a no go as advised by the missus ??!! She's told me to stop wrapping things....

Will the carriers I'm after be off a T5 then I presume?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Monday 21st May 2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenevans99 View Post
    Cheers Martin......the speedo top is a no go as advised by the missus ??!! She's told me to stop wrapping things....

Will the carriers I'm after be off a T5 then I presume?
    Not necessarily but mine has 305s and most places want a reg when you ask for stuff.

And there's nothing like the look on other customer's faces when the guy at GSF hands you that massive box with BREMBO embossed on it

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Volvo did 3 different size options for the front on the V70 and the easy way to get the right size short of taking the wheels off and measuring the discs etc, is to phone a a Volvo main stealer, give them your VIN and they'll tell you what size you need. I did that and my V70 T5 has 305mm.

Euro Car Parts do discs and pads and I know I can get an all round new pad an disc job for around £170 for the parts. Alot of the serious mechanics would say cheap pads and discs are false economy and will warp under the heat. I suppose it's true but then you need to look at your own driving style as well. I'm not a heavy braker so cheaper pads and discs would do. Genuine Volvo parts for an all round job work out at about £300 though!

Regards

James

This user has no status

Thanks
    Discs need doing soon and I need a little clarification. Discs for my car are 316mm directly from Volvo, but many places I've seen 320mm listed for my car. Anyone know if I can use 320mm?
    2005 S60 T5 - Remapped 321BHP

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM View Post
    Discs need doing soon and I need a little clarification. Discs for my car are 316mm directly from Volvo, but many places I've seen 320mm listed for my car. Anyone know if I can use 320mm?
    Yeah, it's only 4mm over all, so 2mm deeper into the caliper. You could probably take that out using the slop in the carrier bolt holes.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    If it were me - I would call MRG and order some discs as they will be the right size and they offer a discount for T5D5 members. My stock discs last better than the Brembos I ran - the Brembos also corroded quite badly.

My experience of pads on a stock caliper - stock are fine for most situations but after a few consecutive high speed presses they fade. They will be quiet and good from cold.

Ds2500's - wooden pedal, worse than stock from cold, squeal at light pedal, very inconsistent under hard braking and difficult to modulate. I managed a day at Combe with only a little tendency to fade but pad pick up was pretty nasty and took a while to clear up.

Front Carbotech XP10's - better bite than stock from cold, mind blowing retardation when warm/hot, excellent pedal feedback and easy to modulate at any speed. Quiet when cold or red hot - shockingly noisy when warm. No fade at track and pick up was noticeable but being a very aggressive pad it doesn't last long. Disc wear is significantly worse than stock and Ds2500's - mine have been on for 11000 miles and the pads have around 4-5mm left and the discs will be going when I change the pads. Dust is definitely more of an issue than with stock and probably worse than DS2500's

On balance I will be fitting Xp10s again (Xp8s rear) as the noise has grown on me and I still find the braking performance shocks me - cold or hot. I have no future track plans at present so my pad choice is for road only. If I do track it then I would have no concerns about running XP10's again.

Brake fluid - replace it every 2 years and use something with high heat capacity like Motul RBF 600 (Dot4). Pads like XP10's will get way hotter if used in anger than stock pads (which will have faded long before) and brake fluid is the next link in the chain.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jardon For This Useful Post:

MattM (Wednesday 23rd May 2012)

Thread Information