Join Today
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jardon View Post
    The best maps I've had/have were from a tuner that never uses a dyno.
    On road mapping is fine but you really do need to go on a dyno before and after to see if you have made any power and torque.

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Dynos don't determine how it feels to drive on a daily basis.
    Last edited by t5_monkey; Monday 7th November 2011 at 13:20.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    Dynos don't determine how it feels to drive on a daily basis.
    True. But they will give a power and torque figure.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    I'd say that if you haven't got any way of measuring your afr, then getting it on a dyno is a must, even if its been mapped on the road, it would then be best get it on a dyno to make sure its ok.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status

Thanks
    Been reading how tuning on a dyno isn't that great and that on the road is best? If this is the case how are those who just 'stick' a map on without either not run into problems?
    2005 S60 T5 - Remapped 321BHP

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM View Post
    Been reading how tuning on a dyno isn't that great and that on the road is best? If this is the case how are those who just 'stick' a map on without either not run into problems?
    The only people who say dyno tuning isn't that great are people who don't have a dyno !! On road mapping isn't always possible for example with bikes and single seat racecars. On road mapping can also be increadibly dangerous with some very high speeds. We have the option of using the dyno and/or the road !! It staggers me how some of these "hobby flashers" don't seem to get into more trouble without a dyno, diagnostics or even a road test.

Regards,
    Hamish.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Both have benefits, but mapping on a dyno can't be that bad after all companies like norris designs and M A devolopments use dynos to map a lot of cars and they build some pretty fast cars.

The big downside with live mapping on a road is that it should really be done on a track or airfield, becasue your going to need to use all of your revs and gears to get it how you want and doing that on the road would be a bit dodgy.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status

Thanks
    We use Bruntingthorpe when Marco comes over - the 2 mile straight is good for 7000rpm in 4th. Agree that using a road is taking a risk. Bruntingthorpe charged us £55 each for all day recently so we got unlimited laps for testing/logging. We had the pit rooms for waiting and working. I don't know any "hobby flashers" and would avoid any such business like the plague. I don't buy that dyno tuning gives optimal on road performance from a WOT or part throttle driveability point of view but could be a useful diagnostic tool. The load conditions and temperatures we see on dynos differ greatly - especially influential with ME7+ vehicles (torque on demand). I had my car tuned by somebody with before/after dyno and had it removed a few months later to be replaced by an MTE stage 1. There was no comparison - using a dyno is no guarantee of quality but having one may enhance the tuning firms image. Just my experience.
    Last edited by jardon; Monday 7th November 2011 at 23:21.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    It annoys me that bruntingthorpe let you use the track for mapping purposes, but weren't interested when i tried to organise a trackday so a few of us could use the 2 mile straight.

Gits! lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    It annoys me that bruntingthorpe let you use the track for mapping purposes, but weren't interested when i tried to organise a trackday so a few of us could use the 2 mile straight.

Gits! lol
    I'd love to go for a legal head to head against a few others...

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

T5frankie (Tuesday 8th November 2011)

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    I'd love to go for a legal head to head against a few others...
    I tried last year, but they weren't interested unless there were lots of cars and preferably paying spectators.

Maybe try again next year.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I tried last year, but they weren't interested unless there were lots of cars and preferably paying spectators.

Maybe try again next year.
    Maybe we could lower the inter forum fences for one day. I'd be up for it, I'd do a day at brunters for a few fast straight runs over a track day as I'd find that more appealing, but then that probably puts me in the minority lol

This user has no status

Thanks

Gits! lol
    It's a great place. Planes dotted about and 700bhp range rovers testing etc. The police rocked up to do some driver training and we were there until 10pm. The straight is very long/wide but thank god for braking cones as it's hard to judge when the Sharp right hander is going to appear. I think Don Norchi (Kalmar Union) booked it so may be worth a call his way for advice. Ashok (Pyaap on T5D5) also has experience of booking there I think.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Maybe we could lower the inter forum fences for one day. I'd be up for it, I'd do a day at brunters for a few fast straight runs over a track day as I'd find that more appealing
    Airfields are good for the novice drivers first track experience as they tend be very wide with lots of run off, then if people get more into it they can start doing proper tracks.

Me, i just fancied a meet where we could look at some nice cars and also get the chance to legally see what our cars could do down the straight (paid for of course)
    If everyone had used one sat nav then we could have seen who got the fastest speed, taking away the inacuracies of everyones speedo.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jardon View Post
    It's a great place. Planes dotted about and 700bhp range rovers testing etc. The police rocked up to do some driver training and we were there until 10pm. The straight is very long/wide but thank god for braking cones as it's hard to judge when the Sharp right hander is going to appear. I think Don Norchi (Kalmar Union) booked it so may be worth a call his way for advice. Ashok (Pyaap on T5D5) also has experience of booking there I think.
    Been there a few times in the past, have a mate who works on the super guppy.
    Last edited by LiamT4; Tuesday 8th November 2011 at 00:02. Reason: Losing my memory it seems lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Airfields are good for the novice drivers first track experience as they tend be very wide with lots of run off, then if people get more into it they can start doing proper tracks.

Me, i just fancied a meet where we could look at some nice cars and also get the chance to legally see what our cars could do down the straight (paid for of course)
    If everyone had used one sat nav then we could have seen who got the fastest speed, taking away the inacuracies of everyones speedo.
    Yeah I've always wanted to know what mine would do with the later half of the speedo...

This user has no status

Thanks
    Doesn't Don traditionally put the MTE map on without any dyno? What I'm getting at is quite a few reputable places will map your car but don't have anyway to gauge the results.

1. Maping on the raod
    2. Maping with a dyno
    3. Just a map

That's the order I see it in terms of best results?
    2005 S60 T5 - Remapped 321BHP

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    It's a flash load so no custom mapping.

That said if you get custom Mods, Marco of MTE is over once or twice a year to do custom mapping and that's when you'd get the map tweaked to suit your car.

If I was doing what you were, I'd get the stock Map and then get it custom Mapped when Marco comes over.

the standard map should cope with a new FMIC and will be set up for 3" downpipe etc.. already.

If you get it custom, you may want to get your turbo polished ported and clipped by Owen developments (Jardon had this done) and possibly Water injection too... that should give you significantly more power once it's custom mapped.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    My autotech map is an excellent custom map. & Yes it was done on the HLM dyno. I know from both Torque results & the data from the HLM dyno that the intake temps do not require WI.

Having seen results on the dyno from other tuned 2.4 T5s that you should give HLM some serious consideration.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    little bit off topic but been thinking about getting a v70r are they a 2.5 or are they a 2.4 also i have heared about a few cases of cracked liners with these so how do they stand with tuning
    Last edited by t5 pete; Tuesday 8th November 2011 at 14:23.

Thread Information