Join Today
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Tuning S60 2.4T T5

Hi Guys,

What are the tuning options for a 2005 S60 T5? I was thinking of a SS Cat back exhaust system and a remap. Is this a good start and what are the typical gains?

Thanks.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    you can easily see 250 bhp with a stg 2 map. exhaust sports cat and ic. i have all of these. i may be tempted to sell as some one recently rear ended my car.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I should hope so, it's 260bhp stock :p

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Ignore everything you hear about dynos etc.....

firstly ... torque matters more in the real world.

Secondly... dynos are a lottery.

For comparisons sake you'll get about 285 from a remap, which will give you a power to weight of aboug 185bhp per tonne - which should give you an idea of what you'll keep up with.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

5. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

daza-b (Monday 7th November 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    its a 2.4 so 300bhp is easily achievable

This user has no status

Thanks
    How do I easily achieve 300bhp? remap and cat back?

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM View Post
    How do I easily achieve 300bhp? remap and cat back?
    yeah mate but don't worry about the bhp too much its the torque improvements that you will love after a remap, it will pull much harder

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    These 2.4 T5s are supposed to respond well to mapping.
    Panelfilter, 200cell race cat and remap should get you over 300bhp easily. Front mount intercooler is supposed to help as well.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status

Thanks
    No brainer having seen the results of the offerings from Rica. MTE map, full exhaust and water/methanol injection = 350+ bhp on anybodys dyno and nearer 400bhp on the road. A fellow 2.4 owner (Ashok - username Pyaap on T5D5) developed a custom map with MTE about a year ago. It made 350bhp on a dyno and that was pulling 8+ degrees of ignition advance compared to road runs (rising IAT's on dyno relative to road). The Rica map would be throwing money away for this engine. Stage 2 MTE or the custom map with water/methanol injection.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    i meant 348 bhp. mines runs rica stage 2 with 100 cell sports cat and stainless exhaust with straight through silencers and fmic with std inj. all i can say is it drives mint. pulls like a train in every gear. cant recomend rica highly enough and me personaly would do your own home work as theres a lot of opinions on various tuners. ive only had rica and there custermer service is 2nd to none. ive also ran stg1 with a fmic and standard exhaust and again it drove very well and pull well in all gears. with these few mods i got 28mpg around the doors and 39mpg on a run

ive only commented on my personal experience of what ive got, im not intrested in any debates about rica vrs mte. just hope this dosnt turn into a pointless t5d5 thread

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks guys. How does would a remap effect reliability ?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Sent an email to these guys http://www.race-tune.com/ about a remap, here is what they said:

There are some very good options for the T5 as it is a brilliant engine capable of a lot of power! We generally design the remap based on the individual customer requirements so we aim towards all out power or a blend of power and economy. With the T5 it is not generally possible to get significant economy improvements so we tend to opt for a power map with an emphasis on low end torque as the turbo spools relatively late 2800rpm. Conservative maps will give you 290bhp and full power maps with no modification to any other components will be around 310bhp with a 25% increase to torque. I used to drive a 2006 S60 T5 with a full power map and it would wheel spin in 4th gear. Full Volvo VIDA diagnostics are also included and if your car is automatic we reset the gearbox adaption at the same time. The price is £450 inc VAT and you would be in safe hands, we've done around 5000 Volvo remaps!
    race tune is actually the same as http://www.pwcars.co.uk/ who I hear good things about and who are 2 minutes from where I work in slough.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks guys. How does would a remap effect reliability ?
    The extra torque will wear engine mount bushes more quickly. Brakes will probably be fine but if you exploit the extra oomph a lot then uprated pads are a good idea. K24's are not bombproof turbos though it seems a bit of a lottery - some failing early and others withstanding many hours of track abuse. I wouldn't be concerned about reliabilty if mapped appropriately but bank on the wear and tear components having a shorter life if you drive it like you stole it. If mapped to make maximum power then 99 octane fuel is a must and I would shorten your oil/filter/spark plug change intervals.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jardon For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Wednesday 12th October 2011)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jardon View Post
    The extra torque will wear engine mount bushes more quickly. Brakes will probably be fine but if you exploit the extra oomph a lot then uprated pads are a good idea. K24's are not bombproof turbos though it seems a bit of a lottery - some failing early and others withstanding many hours of track abuse. I wouldn't be concerned about reliabilty if mapped appropriately but bank on the wear and tear components having a shorter life if you drive it like you stole it. If mapped to make maximum power then 99 octane fuel is a must and I would shorten your oil/filter/spark plug change intervals.
    What he said - all my bushes were shot after 57k when I poly-bushed recently.

I change the oil every 6 months... apart from that it's regular servicing.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi,

The later 2.4 T5 tune really well and with a decent remap you should see more out of a 2.4 T5 than you get out of most S60R's ! We have been working with Autotech Motorsport Sweden for the last 3 years and their Volvo Petrol Turbo Tuning is undoubtably some of the best in the world and is certainly leagues better than the stuff we got from Rica.

Have a look at the dyno sheet below this is from a 55 reg V70 2.4 T5 that we tuned for a friend of mine. The car was a completely standard ex police driver training car and had done a reasonable mileage it was in good order and didn't appear to have suffered too badly in the hands of Plod! The figures are corrected to DIN and we were using our big fan so IAT's were not a problem. The car produced good stardard power (as they do on V Power) at 275hp and with only an Autotech remap the peak power is now 2 hundredths of a hp short of 320hp. If you look you will see that the AFR is much improved and the 60 ftlbs increase in torque is almost all the way through the rev range. Not at all shabby for a completely standard car with just a remap.

Attachment 11620

Regards,
    Hamish.
    www.hlmtuning.co.uk
    Last edited by hamish; Wednesday 12th October 2011 at 15:44.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to hamish For This Useful Post:

lance (Thursday 13th October 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quick question guys. Would you get a remap if it didn't include a rolling road before and after.

Hamish I've sent you a PM
    2005 S60 T5 - Remapped 321BHP

This user has no status

Thanks

Wink

Quick question guys. Would you get a remap if it didn't include a rolling road before and after.

How can you be a tuner without a rolling road ?

Always best to email me on hamish@hlmtuning.co.uk

This user has no status

Thanks

Yes.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    How can you be a tuner without a rolling road ?
    The best maps I've had/have were from a tuner that never uses a dyno.

Thread Information