Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

new to the club, popped my volvo cherry

Hello, I've finally followed my instincts and abandoned the mondeo tdci and bought a lovely 2001 v70 T5. Next step is to get it tuned up a bit, as petrol prices are only going to rise I might as well! Does anyone know the best way to get my hands on a sporty sounding exhaust without having to fork out 400 quid? Also there are a number of remaps out there, does anyone have a back to back graph comparing the different main players products? Not interested in starting an argument, would just like to compare the torque curves with respect to driveability. Not interested in the peal figures either, its just comparing the shape of the torque curve.

Cheers

This user has no status
    Thanks

welcome
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    If you gotta T-5, any decent remap will save you money (until you put your foot down) you have enough power to put a smile on your face so economical driving will save you money. I just had an ecu update, buck-shee along with a new dim from a main stealer and I'm getting an extra 5-9 mpg. I won't say which remap or exhaust to go for because there are others who know better on this forum but if your speedo or turbo goes a bit funny, gimme a shout!
    Welcome aboard!
    Pics please!
    Last edited by M-R-P; Thursday 22nd September 2011 at 22:19.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts

Im affraid Im no expert on the 2001 shape V70 but a few on here have some wealth of experience on the model.

Many re-maps and chips available. If I remember correctly a map alone will take these above 300bhp and that is a dyno figure not hear say.
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Moose View Post

Im affraid Im no expert on the 2001 shape V70 but a few on here have some wealth of experience on the model.

Many re-maps and chips available. If I remember correctly a map alone will take these above 300bhp and that is a dyno figure not hear say.
    Mr. Moose is correct, old chap. Before you start fitting mbc's and larger inlet/outlet systems you need the map sorted or it will throw a fit. You might get away with tightening the wastegate actuator a bit but that's it apart from a decent air filter.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

the true nut job
    Thanks
    welcome sir..
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for the warm welcone, I'll post some pics this afternoon when she's delivered by the dealer. Then its a case of thinking up innovative excuses to the Mrs for spending money on tuning...

Thanks
    I found, with my missus, saying "it improves fuel economy" will get the nod for all but the most expensive upgrades...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    welcome!!!

More is more, ALWAYS!

2003 V40 T4 Sport
    1988 Volvo 245 GLT Estate (Gaining T5 power!)

This status has no user
    Thanks
    Welcome

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Hi Mate! HLM does a few different remaps and will give you a before and after figure and can play about a bit to get you what you want.
    RICA is a good product but some say loads of torque and hugely over estimated claims its also quite expensive. Avoid superchips from what I have heard. BSR and MTE are meant to be good but I havent tried them. Personally I have tried Autologic and found it good on my P2 altough some one on here didnt and it wasnt the best on my V50!. Rica was great on my P1 which you drove at silly speed. Im happy with the Autotech product on my V50. I would give hamish a call and see what he can do I reckon you should see an extra 30 or 40 HP but maybe another 80 or 100 NM!

http://www.hlmtuning.co.uk/s_volvo.html
    Last edited by lance; Friday 23rd September 2011 at 11:15.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    A stage 1 remap should not set you back that much. Give Hamish a ring at HLM. I have tuned the same engine as yours to 312BHP - but that does take slightly more than 400 quid.

Remap & a replacement airfilter should be good to 270BHP possibly more depending on the age & condition

- Enjoy the ride.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Would i be expecting to replace plugs, oil and filters more regularly on a car with a remap and performance air filter? What oil do people use? Fully synthetic I suppose? Have used unipart oil in the past, meets all advanced requirements and only 15 quid for 4 litres.
    Cheers

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I change my plugs once every 12K or so. Oil every 5 (not entirely necessary). Air filter never needs changing. Pollen filter annually. I use 5w40 fully synthetic Shell Helix because it is a good quality oil, not because it is cheap. My odo shows 160K and she runs just fine. Have spent hundreds on other mods - custom racing cat - bigger turbo - large FMIC - suspension, brakes & transmission changes. However these are not necessary for Stage 1 remaps.

You may find that the Mass Airflow sensor may be duff or boost control solenoid or weak actuator pressure - when developing Stage 1 - but these will only come out during the wash, so to speak.

HLM will be able to help advise with all of these things as will many others.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorry WobblyDave, didnt mean to suggest I was using *cheap* oil, just Good value. Still meets all the relevant synthetic standards, just rebottled ex-stock from over production by companies such as Shell, Mobil, etc etc. Didn't want to give the impression I'd put any old oil into my engine....good, glad we cleared that one up.
    Thanks again for the advice, conversation with Mrs went ell, so I'm through the top soil for a remap, just need to dig towards the fence for exhaust and filter.....Pass me a torch anyone? If only there was a whistling button....

Cheers
    L

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Get it remapped by MTE, Rica or possibly HLM (but search HLM on the threads and make your own mind up as he can be controversial.)

BSR are OK but throttle is very sensitive and customer service non-existant (I've got BSR!)

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

Here today gone tomorrow

Thanks
    Welcome to the club

This user has no status
    Thanks
    How many miles has your new purchase? Auto or manual? It's always worth looking at the condition of the front suspension too. Worn wishbone bushes really contribute to funny behaviour (torque steer etc). I've not touched the engine on mine (air filter aside) but have refurbed the suspension - poly wishbone bushes, new dampers, top mounts, ball joints etc. Hope this helps.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The cars a standard 2001 manual gearbox se. I'll have to check through inch thick wad of Volvo dealer service history to see if the front suspension has had any work, but it was owned by an old lady with a "no expense spared" attitude. I'm sure the rear dampers were replaced recently. Took me 2 months to find this car, didn't fancy an ex-police one as I'd found the interiors, spec and body work werent really up to scratch. Still, it was an ex police car which flicked the switch in my head to say I need one of these.
    L

Thread Information