Join Today
    Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks

Exclamation how hard is it to change engine top mount

a simple question really just got a polybush replacement and thought id just "pop" outside and whip it in but i cant seem to get the old one out!! is just a case of brute strength,or am i missing something

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    The outer part of the mount will need prizing out (hammer and screwdriver) it's only plastic so shouldn't be to difficult.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

3. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

theflyingbrick (Monday 5th September 2011)

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Best way is get a hack saw blade and saw through your old bush then it will tap out easy then to fit the new one get a bolt to slide through the poly mount with a large washer either side then a nut on either end and wind them in and finally fit the metal sleeve.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingbrick View Post
    a simple question really just got a polybush replacement and thought id just "pop" outside and whip it in but i cant seem to get the old one out!! is just a case of brute strength,or am i missing something
    Should be able to push it out with a couple of G clamps, thats how i done mine.

It's getting the new one back that's hard. But seeing you have a poly bush it should be a whle lot easier.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    cheers guys funny thing about these forums is that in your head you know what to do,but find yourself looking for advice anyway lol it is nice for a little reasurance though thanks again gentleman helpfull as always.

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    Anyone else have trouble getting the new one to stay in place?? I put new Volvo one in, simple as per all the tips offered, hacksaw first, then hammer and screwdriver, then a couple of clamps or a tool I bought off Ebay.

BUT three weeks later, rumble and roar under acceleration! Some like that, I dont! It had slid out sideways. Had to keep clamping it back in again every week! Then tried silicon bonder which helped. Now I have tapped a small screw in through the metal collar into the plastic sleeve just to stop it moving, so hope problem solved. Just wonder if anyone else had similar issues?

woz

This user has no status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Anyone else have trouble getting the new one to stay in place?? I put new Volvo one in, simple as per all the tips offered, hacksaw first, then hammer and screwdriver, then a couple of clamps or a tool I bought off Ebay.

BUT three weeks later, rumble and roar under acceleration! Some like that, I dont! It had slid out sideways. Had to keep clamping it back in again every week! Then tried silicon bonder which helped. Now I have tapped a small screw in through the metal collar into the plastic sleeve just to stop it moving, so hope problem solved. Just wonder if anyone else had similar issues?

woz
    i prised mine out with a big pair of grips,then the new one fitted realy easy,
    only took 5 or 10 mins,
    mine hasnt moved since i fitted it couple of years ago.
    strange yours slips out,maybe large washers each side would hold it ?
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Easy gettin old one out cos it was split poly bush gos in easy just tryn to get the mount arm back over it as it fouls up as poly bush is wider than standad and I couldn't take it off from the bulk head as the bolt dosnt come out as there is a aircon pipe right underneath, so it's a lil bit of brute force and ignorance!!! Defo worth doin the sound difference in side is pukka the 5 cylinder grawler lol

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Just a semi-topical question, how much more noise do you get from the poly top mount? I like the car to be quiet and restrained until you unleash it but am p1ssed off with changing cr@ppy volvo top mounts.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    When ya driven normal it's a little bit lounder and u canfeel the engine more. When u give it the beans then it's alot louder and feel of the engine more , I deffo prefer it. But I used to have a complete decated wrx import with u needed earplugs for nearly inside lol

Thanks
    Hmm, gotta keep the car family friendly! might stick to cr@ppy volvo bushes!

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've got 3kids fella and moany missus toboot lol and she dosnt moan about the noise (makes a bloody change lol) I'd deffo get one... On fleabay under 20 deliverd if it ant yr thing u can sell it and basically get ya money back maybe loose a couple of quid that's it. Defo worth a try

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrotch View Post
    I've got 3kids fella and moany missus toboot lol and she dosnt moan about the noise (makes a bloody change lol) I'd deffo get one... On fleabay under 20 deliverd if it ant yr thing u can sell it and basically get ya money back maybe loose a couple of quid that's it. Defo worth a try
    Local europarts quoted about 14 quid but I only barely got away with the cone filter

3 more posts...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mate at that price I'd say go for it change it on the sly and see if she notices the diff if not happydays

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bigrotch For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Wednesday 5th October 2011)

Thanks
    Good point think I'll do that, cheerz bud!
    And with that.... MY 1000th POST

I am off to bed!

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

bigrotch (Wednesday 5th October 2011),p fandango (Wednesday 5th October 2011),theflyingbrick (Wednesday 5th October 2011)

Thread Information