Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

1998 v70 2.5T Auto: momentary engine cut out

Hi all,
    This has happened several times now, then the engine management light came on and stayed on engine cut out going along had to pull over and restarted, crept home . Silly me I disconnected the battery and that cleared it Tested a few miles all OK.
    Thanks to Gary (SiamBlue) came to see me on his way to the Volvo race day, he tested for fault codes but there were none ....my fault I expect for clearing codes??. Thanks again Gary.

Now its doing it again, drove 100 miles, once on trip about 30mph no throttle and then a couple of seconds later throttle came back on ...Next trip 30 miles did this twice like blips. The next one , engine died at 25/30 mph because its an Auto , having to cruise to the side of the road and switch off ignition, into Park and started first time ??
    I have a throttle cable, not the electronic
    Full service 600 miles ago.
    Any Ideas ,No warning lights staying on ,I expect EML to come again soon though.
    Have tried A CAN OF BG244 INJECTOR CLEANER
    And Cataclean 475ml Engine and Catalytic Converter Cleaning Treatment
    thanks Kim

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Sounds as if you have tried a few things - and I'm not sure. If it is actually cutting out it and there are no fault codes it COULD be something daft like the ignition barrel is wearing out and the keys vibrate it off (ooer vicar!).
    Ignition barrels wearing out are not uncommon and would cause the total cut out you describe. You could always experiment by just gently moving the ignition key around when you are parked up to see if the engine switches off by accident.

A shot of WD40 may do no harm - and loosing a few keys off the ring may help.

Maybe some useful thoughts here: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=34472
    Last edited by Flatout Phil; Wednesday 31st August 2011 at 11:21.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Flatout Phil For This Useful Post:

kim (Tuesday 6th September 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Question 1998 v70 2.5T Auto: momentary engine cut out

Thanks Phil..........I would do what Death-rider suggested new Distributor cap rotor arm and leads if Volvo bits weren't so bloomin expensive .
    I think I will plod on till EML comes on again and beg for a code reading to save throwing money in the wrong direction thanks again Kim

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    I could be wrong, but a distributor cap or leads would generally give a misfire rather than a total cut - coil pack failure might have this effect. I have had full throttle misfires on T5 in the past that have been resolved with a new set of plugs - but as I say, the cut-out is a different issue.
    Good luck.
    For cheaper Volvo parts contact Simon (aka Rufe) in Parts at FRF Volvo in Swansea and say you are from this forum and he will do a reasonable discount. Failing that, there is a Volvo parts dealer on Ebay who sells plugs and leads etc.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Flatout Phil For This Useful Post:

kim (Friday 2nd September 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    I could be wrong, but a distributor cap or leads would generally give a misfire rather than a total cut - coil pack failure might have this effect. I have had full throttle misfires on T5 in the past that have been resolved with a new set of plugs - but as I say, the cut-out is a different issue.
    Good luck.
    For cheaper Volvo parts contact Simon (aka Rufe) in Parts at FRF Volvo in Swansea and say you are from this forum and he will do a reasonable discount. Failing that, there is a Volvo parts dealer on Ebay who sells plugs and leads etc.
    Hi all Well it only took a 20 mile journey and then cut out and restart whilst still moving ....but got home now with the EML fault on .......anyone the code reader please cheers Kim

This user has no status
    Thanks

On Going

Merry Christmas to all ,here's to a no problem motoring 2012

Well its taken ages to get my Christmas money so.. new leads, cap and arm now fitted as suggested .
    Have not used the car for months now so called out RAC man to read the codes..He said shows fault in MAF circuit..reset and rev ed her about, no code light showed . He said get a new MAF !!! its already had 2 new ones in its 142 K .
    Read up on it web wise, A MAF site said they last around 50K so , about time.
    Discussed patten or original and as I only do around 2K per year or less , a £35 one with a years from a huge EBay UK supplier, bought and fitted.
    Put a zip tie around feed in to electrics socket to loose any pull, via Vibration etc. Took her out and although it was still learning as battery had been off, went fine ,stopped disconnected MAF tried again went really badly no power. Reconnected..off like a scolded cat.
    All fine next 20/30 miles then EML back on dash, no felling difference just light says on . Can clear using battery ,but will come back on again up to40 miles down the road ???????
    RAC man out again Perhaps to read code ??????.
    My policy is going to be expensive next year OH well cheaper than a Garage visit I suppose..... any Ideas ,thanks Kim

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You'd be better buying a cheap code reader. I'm in the trade and my MAC one reads most things and was less than 50quid, however... Alot of the time code readers do point in the wrong erection. You often get lamba faults coming up when you have a maf problem etc,.. and it's the same with and code reader cos' the computer can only tell you what it's being told by the ecu. Have you checked the MAP sensor? I forgot to tighten the boost hose up once after having it off, and when it blew off the engine cut out and wouldn't even tick over. (even thought that could be because it will be getting air beyond the maf sensor if the pipe comes off). If your MAP sensor is momentarily saying no boost then maybe that's cutting the engine?.. I know it's unlikely but just a thought.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tim15888 For This Useful Post:

kim (Friday 23rd December 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Smile How to get things fixed .....slow and steady

Thanks for your thoughts ....I am now trying to locate and borrow the club reader... as you seem to be in the Know, would a software update make any difference?
    I saw the thread on swapping Ecu's, as I have an P1 auto 2.5LPT cable accelerator.
    I am going to find out if I could swap in a 2.4 T5 ECU, if so that would take the ECU problem thought away. Cheers Kim

Thread Information