Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

V70R awd (P1) suspension

Pulling my hair out here trying to get info on this;
    My suspension is saggy and old, the car handles like a pound of mince. So I'm looking to, over the next wee while, upgrade all the bits that make it go straight, and turn the way I want it to instead of trying to kill me.

The problem I'm running into is that I'm looking for something like konis and ebach combo, but trying to get "awd" in the applications bit on product descriptions is near impossible. -The car is a daily runner, motorway cruiser and a weekend Cairngorm eater, so Im looking for something that mops up bumps and doesn't roll at all, but doesn't break my spine.

Roll bars and bushes and things are all on the cards, I'm just finding it really difficult to find exact models that go on the awd, can people show me links to exact products? I'm about to flip out on this wild goose chase.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    ARBs, though it doesn't state for R models you will have to check.

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=6129

Front suspension is the same as normal FWD cars, so any upgrade will fit. Rears are another matter though.
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Friday 19th August 2011 at 19:47.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I saw these on ipdusa but steered away from them to due shipping from the US. Thanks.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    From my experience, I wouldn't bother with anything too glam! - I looked at KW coil-overs, uprated ARB's etc. for my R, but when it actually came down to it I looked at what mattered to me and, what was wrong with my car? - The crucks of the matter was that at 110k miles, everything was tired and worn out. I eventually decided upon the following for mine:-

Front - Bilstein B4 dampers with standard Volvo springs and new Volvo top mounts.

Rear - Standard Volvo replacement Nivomats and Springs (Make sure you get the right ones - VIN plate check with Volvo database) with new top mounts.

The front wishbones and ARB drop links had all been replaced with genuine Volvo parts at 95K miles anyway.

The car now has 135K on the clock and I haven't regretted any of the above decisions - Yet!!

The single most important thing with suspension on these cars is the geometry; don't go anywhere near a 'laser alignment for £20 place'! the AWD V70R has it's own geometry settings which differ from the standard phase 1 V70. You need to make sure that the geometry is set and adjusted by reputable people with full four wheel geometry equipment (make sure they use the right data for your car - Autodata is correct for the 97-2000 V70R AWD). This will cost you between 75 and 100 quid, but provided all of your suspension is in good nick will make the biggest difference of all to your cars handing.

Also worth bearing in mind is that these cars WILL go round corners very well in standard set-up - although they do love to eat NSF tyres!!

Whichever way you decide to go on suspension, there will never be any change from a grand! - but chose the right stuff and you'll be happy for years to come!! - I did fifty miles through the Welsh valleys last night, and the only limit I found was the one in the passenger seats tolerance to cornering speed!!
    Last edited by v70rade; Wednesday 24th August 2011 at 22:01.
    Laser Blue 2000MY V70R (Phase 3) awd, Rica 330, 04 C70 front, Goodridge Hoses - Now up for Sale as of 15th April 2013 - pm me for info.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to v70rade For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Thursday 25th August 2011),Stuartieboy (Tuesday 10th April 2012)

Thread Information