Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T4 tuning help

This user has no status
    Thanks

T4 tuning help

Looking into getting a turbo boost valve and gauge was wondering what the "safe" limit is to boost on a standard T4 bearing in mind it is a daily driver!

Also looking at improving the brakes, is there any kit i cant get for a bigger brake setup up? maybe off another model etc?

Thanks,
    Mark

S40 T4 SE

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_V40T4 View Post
    Looking into getting a turbo boost valve and gauge was wondering what the "safe" limit is to boost on a standard T4 bearing in mind it is a daily driver!

Also looking at improving the brakes, is there any kit i cant get for a bigger brake setup up? maybe off another model etc?

Thanks,
    Mark
    What year is it? Not sure about the phase 1's but the later versions can be a bit stroppy with mbc's.
    Think mine was running at 18psi (remap), never had any problems. But i would say that using super unleaded is a must when running higher boost.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    98, R Reg, always used super!

S40 T4 SE

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    98, R Reg, always used super!
    Its a phase 1 then. Have you got a throttle cable? Its usually just cars with an etm that don't like mbc's.

You should check to see if your car has the phase 2 280mm front brakes (early cars had something like 250mm) as these, as long as they have good discs and pads, should be good for fast road use.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i found an mbc did not work at all, the ecu just kept correcting it plus the air fuel was way too lean anyway.
    i know people who have melted valves with mbc as well even at low boost. 1.1 bar is the safe limit if you did want to try one .

the remap route is a must

note : the smaller discs were only fitted 96-97. everything after that is the same all models 1998-2004. i never had a problem with the standard setup, even from a whole day at the strip, never a hint of a problem with genuine parts.
    now : 850 2.5 auto

Ex : T4 with NOS on board

6. The Following User Says Thank You to madness For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Friday 19th August 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    But aren't the later cars coded ecu's, so how would you go about mapping one? i know Marco can do it, but he isn't over this side that often, plus with custom mapping costing £600 upwards, it's a lot of dosh for a car worth sometimes upwards of £1000 on a PII.

Gary.
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    But aren't the later cars coded ecu's, so how would you go about mapping one? i know Marco can do it, but he isn't over this side that often, plus with custom mapping costing £600 upwards, it's a lot of dosh for a car worth sometimes upwards of £1000 on a PII.

Gary.
    Mine was done by a previous owner, but i think smithy has a mate who's just had his t4 mapped, maybe send him a pm.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

siamblue (Saturday 10th September 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I owned a Almera TDDI that was remapped celtic tuning did that and I was impressed with the mapp so asked about the T4 I was told £300 and I would have to send them the ECU, they quoted from 200BHP & 221lbft torque as standard to 235BHP & 258lbft torque after the remap, they said they were unable to 'flash' the ECU via the OBDII port which is why they would need the ECU sent to them to be chipped, Celtic tuning have franchises alll over the place so if you have one local you can go in.

I also was in revolution in gateshead getting some wheel nuts & they said they had done a T4 before and it would be £349, they said they would do a live map and could adjust the set up to take into account another other mods (they also had an offer of a free K&N or piperX panel filter with each map) but they couldn't give any figures....

I'm due a bonus in oct/nov so I'm tempted to get the car mapped then..
    Last edited by scoobysn7x; Tuesday 23rd August 2011 at 10:48.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes it has the throttle cable.

thanks guys i know my dads old T4 was remapped and he had to take the ecu out to do so. This is the root i plan to take in the future but at the moment its a boost valve and gauge im afraid, im only after a little extra kick nothing stupid thats going to kill the turbo.

S40 T4 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes it has the throttle cable.

thanks guys i know my dads old T4 was remapped and he had to take the ecu out to do so. This is the root i plan to take in the future but at the moment its a boost valve and gauge im afraid, im only after a little extra kick nothing stupid thats going to kill the turbo.
    You can achieve the same simply by shortening the wastegate arm
    Back in Black (T4)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    BSR do off-the-shelf maps for the T4. Reasonably priced and reasonably tested too.

I ran a BSR map for a while, and strangely it later turned out to be identical to the RICA one.

I later had my car custom-remapped at RICA in NL.
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gmain1967 View Post
    You can achieve the same simply by shortening the wastegate arm
    please tell me more?

S40 T4 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As for the brakes, you can get a set off a Evo 3, as they are dual piston, you could get a set for about £100 inc discs and pads, the brackets are the same on the 40 series and the early Evo stuff.

Gary.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    please tell me more?
    Hi mate,

You will still need a remap if you raise the boost beyond around 17-18psi via the wastegate arm.

To find the arm, look around the back of the engine at the turbo. Sitting on top of the turbo is a threaded rod that joins onto a small plate on the turbo housing (wastegate). Undo the locknut on the rod and remove the split pin from the arm. Take the arm arm off the wastegate. Then wind the end of the rod IN 1/2 turn at a time. In for more boost, out for less boost. Then reconnect, reuse split pin and tighten locknut. This form of adjustment is very sensitive so go easy and do not overboost your engine as too much much boost with no remap will end in very expensive tears. Thanks. Mitch.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ahh ill just wait for a remap! got the gauge and valve waiting here but dont thinke theres much point in putting it in after reading mixed comments

Evo 3 brakes huh? very interesting!

S40 T4 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    As for the brakes, you can get a set off a Evo 3, as they are dual piston, you could get a set for about £100 inc discs and pads, the brackets are the same on the 40 series and the early Evo stuff.

Gary.
    I did that and actually went back to the stock Volvo setup for a while. Was quite disappointed.

Then I put some Hi-Specs on and was even more irritated with those (probably because they were second-hand and the discs had warped - didn't help!!!)
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    I'd say if you've got the 280mm front discs (which you should) then as long as you have good discs, pads, lines and fluid then they should be fine for road use.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Al115 View Post
    I did that and actually went back to the stock Volvo setup for a while. Was quite disappointed.

Then I put some Hi-Specs on and was even more irritated with those (probably because they were second-hand and the discs had warped - didn't help!!!)
    Kerry's car was apparantly awesome at stopping on the Evo set up, i think it is down to pad and discs combination as well as the condition of the secondhand calipers.

Gary.

PS I am really tempted to try RemapScience in Bradford next week..

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post
    Hi mate,

You will still need a remap if you raise the boost beyond around 17-18psi via the wastegate arm.

To find the arm, look around the back of the engine at the turbo. Sitting on top of the turbo is a threaded rod that joins onto a small plate on the turbo housing (wastegate). Undo the locknut on the rod and remove the split pin from the arm. Take the arm arm off the wastegate. Then wind the end of the rod IN 1/2 turn at a time. In for more boost, out for less boost. Then reconnect, reuse split pin and tighten locknut. This form of adjustment is very sensitive so go easy and do not overboost your engine as too much much boost with no remap will end in very expensive tears. Thanks. Mitch.
    What remap would you suggest?
    Back in Black (T4)

life is like a box of §§§§e
    Thanks
    I run a mbc on my t4 1.2 bar. I've had no problems. According to hamish at hlm up to 1.2 bar is ok as long as you use super unleaded. I don't drive at full throttle everywhere though.

Thread Information