Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boost???

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smithson007 View Post
    Yes the rod seems tight mate. Might have a little play with it later. Just dont want to break anything. Well not this soon after getting it anyways.LOL.
    Might try get it on a dyno somewhere soon see what it is actually making.
    just undo the lock nut and pull the rod out a little more and more until you are happy if that dont work actuator may need changing but 14.5 psi is alot more than standard which is 10psi and is good for a map

Not from Newcastle
    Further North than Foammanmark
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
    just undo the lock nut and pull the rod out a little more and more until you are happy if that dont work actuator may need changing but 14.5 psi is alot more than standard which is 10psi and is good for a map
    Cheers mate ill give it a try. Will a break something if i got to far with it?
    To be honest with ya a dont think its making it as far as 1 bar on the guage and thats when it feels like its giving the most boost.
    Current Car: VW Golf GT TDI 170 DSG

Old Cars: Saffy V70R, S60 2.4T SE, 854 T5, V70 T5, S70R, Saab 95 2.3 AERO, Seat Leon Cupra, Vauxhaul Vectra 2.5 V6 GSI, Vauxhaul Combo van 1.4 D

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Just to add something to this thread, is the wastegate working? on mine, the gate itself had seized in the half way position. the best way to check, I found, was to connect a bicycle pump to the actuator using a pointy inflatable toy adapter jammed in the end of the actuator hose. pump it a few times and watch the actuator rod. If the actuator backs away from the rod, then the gate is seized and needs freeing. You should see the rod move out and return slowly if all is ok. HTH.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

smithson007 (Monday 15th August 2011)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Cheers mate ill give it a try. Will a break something if i got to far with it?
    To be honest with ya a dont think its making it as far as 1 bar on the guage and thats when it feels like its giving the most boost.
    my map was only giving 12psi so i stuck the mbc on and put it to 22psi, now thats fun, but having another engine put in now because of it lol, you won't break nothing just do a turn at a time

This user has no status

Thanks
    my map was only giving 12psi so i stuck the mbc on and put it to 22psi, now thats fun, but having another engine put in now because of it lol, you won't break nothing just do a turn at a time
    lol famous last words.lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Yorkshiresxi For This Useful Post:

si850r (Tuesday 16th August 2011)

Not from Newcastle
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks
    Took the car out for a quick spin last night. Got it on a good stretch of road where i could watch the boost guage and the highest it ever reached was 0.7 bar. All didnt end well when i got pulled by the plods so i had to slope of home and im in hiding for a few days now. LOL.
    When sitting at idle the guage is reading -0.6 bar is this ok? Also could the dump valve be to weak to hold the boost? It's a bailey's dump valve.

Old Cars: Saffy V70R, S60 2.4T SE, 854 T5, V70 T5, S70R, Saab 95 2.3 AERO, Seat Leon Cupra, Vauxhaul Vectra 2.5 V6 GSI, Vauxhaul Combo van 1.4 D

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Took the car out for a quick spin last night. Got it on a good stretch of road where i could watch the boost guage and the highest it ever reached was 0.7 bar. All didnt end well when i got pulled by the plods so i had to slope of home and im in hiding for a few days now. LOL.
    When sitting at idle the guage is reading -0.6 bar is this ok? Also could the dump valve be to weak to hold the boost? It's a bailey's dump valve.
    Vac seems a bit low. My T5R used to only have 0.5 of vacuum until we found about 20 air leaks which Niles and co sorted. Reads -0.95 now and boosts much better. Sounds like you have a definite leak somewhere.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    thats funny cos thats what they boost standard, sure he aint kept the rica ecu pmsl.......

Not from Newcastle
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post
    Vac seems a bit low. My T5R used to only have 0.5 of vacuum until we found about 20 air leaks which Niles and co sorted. Reads -0.95 now and boosts much better. Sounds like you have a definite leak somewhere.
    Would you be able to hear an air leak when its ticking over?

This user has no status
    redditch nr birmingham the town full of chav s
    Thanks
    mine was the same, lumpt tick over etc...low boost...turned out to be the inlet manifold gasket+ vac lines to the tourbo...sorted them now im making m3 s look like little go karts....lol

Not from Newcastle
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks
    thats funny cos thats what they boost standard, sure he aint kept the rica ecu pmsl.......
    Lol. At the min it feels much the same as my v70 t5 used to. not slow but not a flying machine. I need to get it on a dyno see what its doing. Think i maybe need to have a sit in somebody else's when theyre driving it to see what theres is like. Im maybe expecting something that just aint going to happen.

Not from Newcastle
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by si850r View Post
    mine was the same, lumpt tick over etc...low boost...turned out to be the inlet manifold gasket+ vac lines to the tourbo...sorted them now im making m3 s look like little go karts....lol
    It has a full samco hose kit on but starting to wonder if i have a leak somewhere.

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Defo sounds like you have a leak somewhere, try and find a garage near you with a smoke machine or if not soapy water in a bottle and spray it over all the joins etc, low tech i know but it works

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Not from Newcastle
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks
    Might try get it in to a garage see if they can have a look. Need to get an oil leak sorted and knocking/rattle from front end sorted to.

This user has no status
    redditch nr birmingham the town full of chav s
    Thanks
    try the soapy spray around the throttle bosy.mine was missing a gasket there and after some sound advice on the phone via giles (smithy) that was where another leak was from

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Vac is definately too low at idle if the gauge your using is accurate. As already said I'd be looking for between 15/18 in.Hg's at idle. It certainly sounds like you've got a leak somewhere on the intake or vac system. I'd try bypassing and removing the dump valve first then go about replacing the rubber vac lines to and from the turbo and bcs. Also if it has a dump valve fitted has the standard recirc valve been removed and if so is the blanking plate fitted in it's place correctly and is it sealing? If the standard recirc valve is still fitted first off why, then has the rubber diaphram split inside allowing a leak.

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    i thought this car was supposed to be one of the best saffy's on here, another new buyer having problems already.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    i thought this car was supposed to be one of the best saffy's on here, another new buyer having problems already.
    I guess every car has it's faults...

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    I guess every car has it's faults...
    faults are supposed to be declared especially to fellow forum members

22. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Tuesday 16th August 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Would you be able to hear an air leak when its ticking over?
    When mine had a vac leak it was ticking over at 1100 instead of 800 mate. Don't know if you have this symptom??
    Last edited by mitchyboy01; Tuesday 16th August 2011 at 21:37.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

Thread Information