Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boost???

Not from Newcastle
    Further North than Foammanmark
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks

Smile Boost???

Picked up my new toy (V70R) the other night from HADI. Nice fella to deal with. Shame he's Volvo less now. LOL

Ran it about 100 miles home in really bad weather so never got chance to give it a good thrashing.
    Been to york for the weekend with it and it seems to be lacking boost or just really bad turbo lag.
    Its currently running a 19T and a 330 rica remap as far as i know.
    It has a boost guage fitted and when accelarating it only seems to be showing around 0.5 bar but then when it gets to around 3500-4000 rpm you can feel more boost kick in but still only reaches 1.0 bar at most.
    I had a S70R a few years ago that was running similar set-up and it was a complete animal.
    The S70 would push you back in your seat from the word go and keep you pinned there but aint getting this from the V70 at the min.

Any suggestions as to what it could be thats holding it back so much?

Do you get bad lag from the 19t's?

Thanks very much.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cant you give HADI a ring and see if its an issue he has had before it might be something really simple or it might just be the turbo set up but he would know.

Not from Newcastle
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingxl View Post
    Cant you give HADI a ring and see if its an issue he has had before it might be something really simple or it might just be the turbo set up but he would know.
    Yes im going to give him a call tomorrow and see what he says.

Could an MBC be fitted to help?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    No idea mate i dont do technical

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vikingxl For This Useful Post:

smithson007 (Sunday 14th August 2011)

This user has no status

Thanks
    put a code reader on it first the bcv maybe needs changing then i would clean the maf with some brake cleaner check all intercoler pipes and vac pipes make sure all pipes from and to turbo are tight with socket not screwdriver worked for me

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ROZER For This Useful Post:

smithson007 (Monday 15th August 2011)

Not from Newcastle
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks
    Yes ill give all those a try mate cheers. Just need to find someone that will check the codes. I refuse to pay volvo prices for doing it.
    Current Car: VW Golf GT TDI 170 DSG

Old Cars: Saffy V70R, S60 2.4T SE, 854 T5, V70 T5, S70R, Saab 95 2.3 AERO, Seat Leon Cupra, Vauxhaul Vectra 2.5 V6 GSI, Vauxhaul Combo van 1.4 D

This user has no status
    Thanks
    there is a forum code reader floating about somewhere well not a forum one but one a kind member is willing to lend out

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Mbc would help, or tighten the actuator rod, But as advised get any codes read 1st.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    May be wrong here but wouldn't the map govern the boost so no need for MBC? Probably best to ask who you bought it from. Maybe he may have had same problem in the past??
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

This user has no status

Thanks
    your right no need for mbc if you have rica 330 with 19t you have custom rica map you should be seeing 18 psi all day on that spec codes first if not check controls bcv. maf. map.pipework and maybe actuator rod but you need a boost gauge to set rod the correct way.but i dont think its that .

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Dunno what these lot are on about but 14.5 psi sounds good for a remap mate mine only went to 12 after a map it sounds normal to me, fit an mbc and turn it up to what your happy with I advise about 18 psi though. A remap will never give you 18 psi on its own lol

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smithson007 View Post
    Do you get bad lag from the 19t's?
    yes, it improved no end once i'd fitted a 960 throttle body & enlarged RIP but was very disappointed beforehand (but had come from a 15g). 19T's can bend rods very easily & the step in boost is programmed into the map to ease the chance of bending them

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You shouldn't need an MBC if you have a remap. Although most do for that extra bit of boost. My old car was boosting to 20psi on a 15g with a custom map, cone filter and decat exhaust. 313bhp dyno printout and Shaun 850 ran a 14.0 1/4 in it when he had it. Although I used a MBC to adjust boost and have a play with that lol

If funds allow, I would stick a MBC on it and go get a custom map to the psi you want and then you know you're car is set up for your exact spec. Also the dyno will show up any possible faults with your car, boost leaks, AFR's too rich/lean etc. It shouldn't feel sluggish with a 19t and 330 map. It should rip your arms off!!

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    A 330 map don't mean 330 bhp its just a mapped 19t so should should have around 290 bhp.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
    A 330 map don't mean 330 bhp its just a mapped 19t so should should have around 290 bhp.
    Yes mate, I agree. But surely if his car was anywhere near 290bhp it would still rip his arms off. There must be something wrong somewhere.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post
    Yes mate, I agree. But surely if his car was anywhere near 290bhp it would still rip his arms off. There must be something wrong somewhere.
    when i first had the 19t fitted the boost built up very slowly, used to give you just enough for overtaking when you first floor'd it but the boost kept rising with the revs

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    everything sounds fine nothing a little actuator adjustment wouldn't sort out to bring the boost in earlier

Not from Newcastle
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help peeps. Theres something deffo not right with it. I was going on to stretch dual carriageway lastnight saab up my backside thought oh yes try keep up stuck my foot down very little lift, dropped it to 4th still not alot dropped to third still only doing 45 mph at most and it hardly even moved. lets just say i didnt leave the saab behind like i wanted to. LOL.
    You right in what you say i was expecting it to try rip my arms off and it just aint at the min.
    I ve just been out checked all hoses and everything seems tight.
    Checked the actuator and there's only around 5mm of thread left showing behind the nut.
    Is that normal?
    What sort of money are you talking for a half decent MBC and what makes are best to go for?
    Also are the Rica's just a upgraded raedy mapped ecu or are they or can they be set up to suit what your running?
    Cheers.
    Last edited by smithson007; Monday 15th August 2011 at 17:42.

Old Cars: Saffy V70R, S60 2.4T SE, 854 T5, V70 T5, S70R, Saab 95 2.3 AERO, Seat Leon Cupra, Vauxhaul Vectra 2.5 V6 GSI, Vauxhaul Combo van 1.4 D

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    is the actuator rod tight? or does it rattle, best off taking the turbo heat shield off (and leave it off for future work) threads are irrelevant as every car differs, as for an mbc get a forge unos, best there is mate

22. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

smithson007 (Monday 15th August 2011)

Not from Newcastle
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
    is the actuator rod tight? or does it rattle, best off taking the turbo heat shield off (and leave it off for future work) threads are irrelevant as every car differs, as for an mbc get a forge unos, best there is mate
    Yes the rod seems tight mate. Might have a little play with it later. Just dont want to break anything. Well not this soon after getting it anyways.LOL.
    Might try get it on a dyno somewhere soon see what it is actually making.

Thread Information