Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Drive shaft play?

Am having odd vibrations under acceleration in a manual D5, I suspect it may be an inner CV tripod joint going.

With the car on the ground I can tug and tag the drivers side shaft and there is no movement what so ever, passenger side though has a definite clonk and movement when tugged back and forth (as in from front of car to rear).

Question is, how much play should there be here? Would this be the joint of the diff?

Ta

This user has no status

Thanks
    Had a proper play last night with the car on stands and wheel jacked up to normal hight so its off the ground. CVs seem on with little or no movement, however there is a 1-2mm lateral (i.e left right, up down, not in & out) where the near side drive shaft enters the gear box. The seal here has also gone so gearbox oil is making a mess everywhere.

Should there be that much movement here?

There is also a fair amount of in/out movement of the drive shaft at both CVs I understand the inner one moving due to length etc but didn't think the outer ones moved in that direction? This movement is about 5mm.

Thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'd get it checked out - get the oil seal sorted as a priority.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Probably abit late now but have you removed the wheel center caps and checked the tightness of the 13mm bolt???
    Common fault is they work loose and then you CV starts to rattle around and you will definately get vibrations on the road.

These should be torqued to 35NM but the best thing to do is out them and replace with the modified XC90 type bolts. They have an oversized rubber washer and need to be torqued to 50NM.

happened to me and i know plenty others that its happened to as well.
    Worth a check before you shell out. New drive shafts are in the region of £400ea and come c/w CV joint. Wheel bearings are £60ea and I would only ever fit OE or Nordic supplied.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    thanks for the above. had the bolt issue on my previous 850 so familiar with that. Did torque them up the other night just to be sure but they were ok. I'm pretty sure now the cvs are ok, car is in today for clutch & flywheel change... long story but the wrong dmf was fitted causing all sorts of funny things to happen! May get a new set of those bolts later though just to be on the safe side as they have been in and out a few times now.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Well? Did you fix it?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information