Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My motor

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Yeah they are the ones for the phase 2, must be out of stock of the opposite ones at the minute. Obvously you need two of each.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

Haizum74 (Sunday 13th November 2011)

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Yeah they are the ones for the phase 2, must be out of stock of the opposite ones at the minute. Obvously you need two of each.
    Aye seems a bit strange like lol.

Also got to sort cabin fan out, seems it might be the heater fan motor resistor thats packed up.

'Ow do
    Thanks
    So, a bit of an update.

Sorted the heater out and was quite an easy fix apart from the blood rush from heading head first into the footwell and the bloody metal bar preventing me getting to one of the screws.

It now looks like there is a problem with the turbo. Spilling out smoke too much and after Tuesdays meet and some of the guys driving behind me and mentioning smoke under the car itself, I think its about time it gets sorted. Fingers crossed its not the turbo itself.

So, end of Jan she is off in to get her checked out, if not turbo and not a major issue then once thats sorted I am going for some lowering springs in Feb and a Stage 0 tune in March (once the bonus comes in). However, I have a feeling I might have to put that on hold as I may get the nearside brake calipers replaced as I think they may be on their way out.

I'm also thinking of painting the headlight bezels, grille and getting some new sidelights to spruce her up a little. Might do that this weekend (the painting).

In March it will be a year since I got her and she hasnt really had a lot done to her upgrade wise, seems to be all maintenance. Hopefully that will change and I can start getting a bit more power out of her.

If anyone knows of a place for the springs (want to go 30/40mm) then let me know. They need to be Blue or Black in colour lol
    Last edited by Haizum74; Thursday 29th December 2011 at 11:58.

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Small update.

Took her to get the oil leak checked out. Pete the Mechanic hoisted her up and we took a look. Caked in oil. So, I left him to it and traipsed home.

Got a call about 3ish and bobbed down. Looked like the washer on the sump nut had corroded and oil was leaking out from there (was sure I put a new one on when I changed oil in June), also oil return pipe needed a quarter turn tighten and cleaned out the breather pipes. Going to go back next week and see if there is any change or thats that.

So I took her for a spin round the ring road. Got off the roundabout and floored it and the Beemer behind me disappeared in a cloud of smoke. Oh arse. Got off the next exit and went back the other way, floored it and nowt so must have been clearing out the crap that had accumulated. Whether it was a placebo effect, she did seem to move a bit better as I had the front wheels spinning which she never did.

So, fingers crossed, thats that, next job is hopefully a stage 0 tune.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well done mate, keep us all updated.

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman67 View Post
    Cheers, hows yours getting on? I would have taken you up on the offer of the ramps but good job really as it would have been a nightmare looking for needle in a haystack with all the oil
    Last edited by Haizum74; Friday 27th January 2012 at 23:34.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Keep going mate, you'll get there eventually! lol

You've got more patience than me.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

Haizum74 (Tuesday 13th March 2012)

Not from Newcastle
    Further North than Foammanmark
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
    Cheers, hows yours getting on?
    Well have to have a catch up again sometime fellas. I was over in york again last weekend.
    Current Car: VW Golf GT TDI 170 DSG

Old Cars: Saffy V70R, S60 2.4T SE, 854 T5, V70 T5, S70R, Saab 95 2.3 AERO, Seat Leon Cupra, Vauxhaul Vectra 2.5 V6 GSI, Vauxhaul Combo van 1.4 D

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Keep going mate, you'll get there eventually! lol

You've got more patience than me.
    Well I have spent enough on her now it would seem silly to get shot.

Quote Originally Posted by smithson007 View Post
    Well have to have a catch up again sometime fellas. I was over in york again last weekend.
    Hey good idea dude. Have one a bit closer to home lol. Was there still a 50 limit along the dual carriage way?

Not from Newcastle
    Further North than Foammanmark
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks

Hey good idea dude. Have one a bit closer to home lol. Was there still a 50 limit along the dual carriage way?
    There was mate but most the camera's have gone so looks like it nearly ready to open. Ill give you a shout when im heading to york next.
    Current Car: VW Golf GT TDI 170 DSG

Old Cars: Saffy V70R, S60 2.4T SE, 854 T5, V70 T5, S70R, Saab 95 2.3 AERO, Seat Leon Cupra, Vauxhaul Vectra 2.5 V6 GSI, Vauxhaul Combo van 1.4 D

13. The Following User Says Thank You to smithson007 For This Useful Post:

Haizum74 (Friday 27th January 2012)

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithson007 View Post
    There was mate but most the camera's have gone so looks like it nearly ready to open. Ill give you a shout when im heading to york next.
    10/4 we can have a spin round the ring road ;-)

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Well, it would seem that things are now all good and no more smoke. Going back to the garage tomorrow just to check underneath for any leaks, if not then bingo bongo, job's a good 'un.

Next, Stage 0

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cheers, hows yours getting on? I would have taken you up on the offer of the ramps but good job really as it would have been a nightmare looking for needle in a haystack with all the oil
    Hey no prob, just glad your sorted. Mines ok, might start a "look at my t4" thread, what do you think.

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Hey no prob, just glad your sorted. Mines ok, might start a "look at my t4" thread, what do you think.
    Go for it, its always good to see what others are doing. Found out mine isnt well again, still oil splurging out, Looks like ORP going into sump and/or sump gasket thats shafted. Going back in Monday for more checks.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Not having much luck with this car are you.

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Not having much luck with this car are you.
    Lol, it would seem that way. But the thing is, she is slowly getting there. I think after this is sorted she will be about right engine wise. Am just going to get coil packs and leads changed and get injectors cleaned and then see about sorting the bodywork as she is showing signs of rust round the sills. I spoke to the mechanic about getting her lowered and he shook his head lol. 'Ride will be too hard'. He doesnt agree with messing about modding cars I think lol.

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Update - Well, I am at a crossroads now. Do I sell and be done with her or keep her and plow more funds into getting her sorted. After the oil return pipe was sorted she ran fine for a while, still had the odd puff of smoke out the back but eventually she calmed down until last weekend. She was puffing again when changing gear and eventually I got an engine check light and MAF code. Turns out that she was dry as a bone on the dipstick (had checked it 6 days before) so a quick panic and refill of 4 1/2 litres of oil, engine light is off and MAF code cleared and not returned. Now, I think its time I either bite the bullet and get a recon turbo or sell her to someone who wants a project car (done majority of the work). The cow is pulling on the heart strings. I wouldn't have thought I would become attached to a lump of metal lol. As volvo said back in the day 'Drive it like you hate it' and I am like that at the moment. ££££ on a stick. Thing is I wont get a lot for her and if I get another one that could be jiggered too. Always take on other peoples problems with older cars. Still, its why we do it I suppose.
    I think this post has been more me talking to myself then to you guys lol

Decisions, decisions.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Waffle on mate, my "is it worthit" thread has turned into a diary rather than anything useful. It helps to get it off your chest now and then
    I'd say it owes you too much to flog it at a loss.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Haizum74 (Tuesday 13th March 2012)

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    Waffle on mate, my "is it worthit" thread has turned into a diary rather than anything useful. It helps to get it off your chest now and then
    I'd say it owes you too much to flog it at a loss.
    Cheers MP, you are right, I cast my mind back to the chap with the 3 million mile volvo. I wonder if he has thought the same thing lol. If I buy another I could be back to square one again too.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers MP, you are right, I cast my mind back to the chap with the 3 million mile volvo. I wonder if he has thought the same thing lol. If I buy another I could be back to square one again too.
    Hey mate, a cheap second hand turbo with no shaft play will do the trick. Although having your sump bone dry probably won't have done your engine much good!
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

Thread Information