Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My motor

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 694 Posts

My motor

Well, work is underway in getting it sorted, a few things it needs doing before its at a point where I can start with modding it a bit.

Brake Caliper seized near side - Being fixed at the moment, mechanic said brake disc and pads are pretty new so thinks that they wont need replacing as disc doesnt look warped.

Next on list is Turbo, she is a bit hit and miss with power and MOT advised there was a leak, nothing under the car (she was stood for two weeks) so I am going to get it checked out, turbo is fine, no squeals or noises coming from her although I have noticed on occasion a nice plume of smoke coming from the exhaust, I assumed it had been fitted with the 'smoke screen' option but this wasnt so.

Near side suspension (I am assuming) clanks a tad but stops once she is warmed up, not sure what that could be.

I might replace side lights as they is a bit of moisture inside them which I can only think is due to seals corroding??????

Front and back bumper needs fitting correctly although I am thinking of removing the wipers off the lights and getting a new front bumper sorted that doesnt have the cut outs for said wipers.

Fan doesnt work and when switched on nothing is coming through air vents, I know air con isnt working although everything switches on and a click under the bonnet, not too fussed about that but if the two are connected or anyone has any suggestions that be great.

Boot struts are rusty as hell, they work fine but for cosmetic reasons I am going to replace them.

Then, once those bits have been done I will get her lowered, stage 0 tune up and a remap, new exhaust (possibly). I am going to wait until insurance is up and got my no claims going again before any mods added.

So, here we go, I will update as I go along.
    Last edited by Haizum74; Tuesday 26th July 2011 at 12:16.

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Well thats brakes sorted, £166 and job done, next month, Turbo a go go. Fingers crossed its doesnt turn out to be knackered.

Decided to take it round the ring road seeing as I hadnt driven her for nearly 3 weeks, brought a smile to my face when I over took the delivery van and an artic rather rapidly (but of course keeping within speed limits). Forgot how nippy it is after driving a slow as hell pug.
    Last edited by Haizum74; Wednesday 27th July 2011 at 14:08.

Christine's Babysitter
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
    Forgot how nippy it is after driving a slow as hell pug.
    LOL. I lent the V70 T5 to my brother who usually drives a a little 1.1 Corsa. He said he put his foot down on the Avonmouth motorway bridge and was amazed as he was pressed into the bacK of the seat.

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs_PA View Post
    LOL. I lent the V70 T5 to my brother who usually drives a a little 1.1 Corsa. He said he put his foot down on the Avonmouth motorway bridge and was amazed as he was pressed into the bacK of the seat.
    Lol, a mate of mine had a drive of my other mates T4 and he came back with a massive grin on his face and first thing he said when he got out of the car was ' I didnt ****ing expect that'

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts

Talking

I went from a 1.4 nissan note to my T-5, it took some getting used to. Never driven anything that would do 0-60 in 1 gearchange
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Yeh I went from a bloody fiat brava to this, was only a stop gap with the fiat but ended up at the scrappers.

Well now got pipercross panel filter installed lol (cheers to LiamT4 for the suggestion). Came today and went for a spin, now unless its a placebo moment I am sure she is running better.

This was the old one, pretty knackered

Now, I could be imagining this but I am sure that the problem I had with the turbo not kicking in and me putting my foot down and it not giving big licks every so often has stopped. Not happened once. Can anyone confirm that I am actually talking crap and imagining it?
    Last edited by Haizum74; Friday 29th July 2011 at 20:04.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if it does feel better with the pipercross on, after all a panel filter flows better than a paper filter and the paper filter your taking off won't be running 100% anyway as it will be full of crap.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

Haizum74 (Saturday 30th July 2011)

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if it does feel better with the pipercross on, after all a panel filter flows better than a paper filter and the paper filter your taking off won't be running 100% anyway as it will be full of crap.
    Aye it was full of crap, just out of interest, the air box, did your T4 have a foam bottom on the inside?

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
    Aye it was full of crap, just out of interest, the air box, did your T4 have a foam bottom on the inside?
    No, but only because a previous owner probably removed it. I think they all have that foam in the bottom. Some people like to remove it.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Might as well keep it in there, not doing any harm.

Decided to lift the bonnet up and have a go at cleaning the throttle body, accelerator pedal was a bit 'sticky' so thought no harm in sorting it. Being thats its the first job I have done under a bonnet I was a bit nervous but it was surprisingly easy. It was rather mucky as the photos will show

After about an hour of rubbing and cleaning, voila

Decided to take the bugger off so with a bit of trepidation I managed it and the back was filthy

Another 30 mins or so, one cig break and a chat with the neighbour and...

Much cleaner. Put it all back together and went for a spin, seems to have done the trick and even though to you guys its a minor job I feel like I have accomplished something today lol. Oh this was the crap that came off it.

I actually used two and they both look the same.

Next job, engine rebuild me thinks............................................ .NOT!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Always nice to get these little jobs done especially when you can feel the difference, makes doing it so much more rewarding.

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Nice job , don't be scared of working on your car it can be very rewarding, as a wise man once said "it's only nuts and bolts at the end of the day"

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamest5r View Post
    Nice job , don't be scared of working on your car it can be very rewarding, as a wise man once said "it's only nuts and bolts at the end of the day"
    Cheers, aye you're right there, feel like I have accomplished something and learned something along the way too. Now to think of the next job to do.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Haizum74 For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Saturday 30th July 2011)

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Well, just had drop links replaced as were pretty well knackered. Been knocking since I got her and even though it was a minor job its great to drive her without thinking something is going to fall off lol.

Next job possibly head gasket, still a bit of white smoke coming out exhaust on full welly. Oh and brake pipes at front need doing.

Bit boring that wasnt it, so to spice it up a song about KFC

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YctNZodFLM[/ame]

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Drop links are always a good thing to get replaced- far too often it seems!
    Keep at it, the car will reward you with lots of driving pleasure (hopefully).

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JelT5 For This Useful Post:

Haizum74 (Wednesday 31st August 2011)

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Well they were that bad the mechanic was able to pull them apart rather easily. In fact am that chuffed they are not noisy anymore am off for a spin
    Last edited by Haizum74; Wednesday 31st August 2011 at 09:27.

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Well, a minor update,

New brake lines and a rear caliper. Twas seized. Nice to get a free'd up wheel going, fresh MOT done now got to wait til after chrimbo and see about the oil leak. Now, she has cost me more than I bought her for but needs must. She will get back to her former self slow but sure (as long as I dont get fed up with her and get something else ;-))

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Well today am doing an easy one and cleaning the ICV. She is a little bit rough, not too bad but I imagine its gonna be filthy.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Its getting there then. You getting the side marker lights and grill?

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Its getting there then. You getting the side marker lights and grill?
    Aye she is, didnt do much though as couldnt get the black 'plug' off so had to do while still attached although she seems smoother. Yeh I will be getting them either end of the month or Jan next year. Still thinking of blacking the light bezels too for a bit of a meaner look. Got some new number plates too as the ones on it are knackered and rusty. New indicator lights as ones got condensation in it and the other is black inside. Then end of Jan going in to sort out turbo as I still think oil leak is from there.

Thinking about it if am going to paint the bezels black then I might just go for these too if they fit http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=6569

Is it these ones Liam http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=4002 if so cant see any for left hand front or am I been a div?
    Last edited by Haizum74; Sunday 13th November 2011 at 15:48.

Thread Information