Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Unhappy V70 clutch failure from a :B_newbie:

Hi all, i have just joined having found your site on google
    anyway to more serious matters, i bought a volvo V70 in april this year, with nearly a year mot and have enjoyed driving it very much, that was until the clutch went on wednesday just gone and i'm due to go one holiday tomorrow . It is a V70 se 10v est, 1997 R Reg,(2.5) 2.435lt 5 speed manual box. I'm not really mechanically minded and have located on e bay a clutch kit for the V70 starting off at 24.99. Part no: DELPHI PART NUMBER HK 7608. This is a two part clutch kit which gives you the cover and plate.
    My clutch pedal is currently on the floor, which you can lift up with your foot but there is no pressure behind it and it was also leaking clutch and brake fluid from below the bell housing, which is where i believe the clutch to be housed as this is a tranverse engine. there is no other leakage from anywhere else on the system from what we can see. Also from what i can see the brake reserviour serves the brakes and clutch? so what parts would i need to buy to get it repaired can anyone help me on parts numbers and where is the best place to go for them. i only payed 750 for the car but that was alot of money for me and im now not sure whether to scrap or sell it as spare or repairs , as everything else is good on it and its taxed and tested. thankyou to any one that can help and in laymen terms thanks ....
    Last edited by olliegeorge; Sunday 24th July 2011 at 17:14. Reason: it put smiley where the D should of been for delphi

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Might be a silly question, but have you asked anyone to look at it?

Sounds to me that your clutch servo has sprung a leak. It could mean that you clutch hasn't gone at all. A new seal kit is cheap

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JUDGENINJA For This Useful Post:

olliegeorge (Sunday 24th July 2011)

This status has no user
    Thanks
    Sounds to me like the slave cylinder has gone.
    Yes the brake resovoir supplies the clutch.
    I made this mistake and you need to make sure the bottle is over filled enough to supply the clutch after you've changed the slave cylinder, As the little hole for the clutch part is right at the top.

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cherry1809 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    hi , thanks judgeninja and cherry1809 for your comments, i did have someone come out and look at it and he seems to think that the whole clutch will need replacing. he did try bleeding the slave cylinder on the clutch but too no avail. and checked the clutch pedal to see whether that had just become detached. he thinks i could get it done for about 500 which would included the clutch kit, i know this is a good price as most quotes are 700 plus but as i only bought the car 3 months ago and this would take it cost wise up to 1250 price mark i dont know whether its worth it. is there a way we can find out whether it is just a slave cylinder, without having to remove engines etc as this is what will push the price up, thankyou again

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Where abouts are you?
    £700 is an average price, bit I'm sure you can do better.

Current Garage:
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JUDGENINJA For This Useful Post:

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    What worries me is the fact that your pedal is on the floor all of a sudden. It sounds like the ball joint link (memory isn't what it was) the fluid leak might be the piston in the end of the cylinder that has popped out. Wonder if the last owner knew something?

The worry I suppose is whether the clutch has been contaminated..

Current Garage:
    *Data Sept 2013

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JUDGENINJA For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi, i live in the west wilts area, close to the somerset border, when i went to look at the vehicle i couldn't drive it as i was only insured for my van, but the guy took me up and down the motorway and it seem to go alright. when i did drive it , i thought the clutch pedal was high but because i had been driving a van , just thought maybe i was been paranoid and i towed my caravan at easter with out any trouble. on the day that the clutch went, i had just pulled into let someone pass when i noticed the pedal was on the floor, i lifted it up with my foot and thought wont stop at tesco's i will just go straight home, which was about 2 miles. turned her around and parked up and went in and told my son that i thought the clutch had gone, he came out and told me to put my foot on it and pump it a couple of times. which i did then the pedal just wasnt doing anything you had tp lift it back up with your foot. and we noticed fliud leaking from the bell housing. and i had lost fluid as well in the reservoir. There seems to be so many different models on the market and when you put in clutch kits it seems to come up with 98 onwards, are they the same models as my or did they change them, can i put a second hand clutch in, if i can get one? my son is doing mechanics at college but has only completed his first year at the moment. luckily my sister has been able to loan me a car for next week so i can still go away. once again thanks for your help

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    If it was working one minute and not the next, my money is on the slave cylinder or slave cylinder seals. Clutches on 850/V70 fail VERY slowly. I would bet that even if it is contaminated it will still work adequately - my old 850 had a persistent real main seal leak of notable proportions for about two years but the clutch just kept working (a bit juddery at times but nothing awful). ALbeit that hydraulic fluid has a tendency to burn rather enthusiastically if one is not careful...
    I would be very surprised if there was much change to any of the slave cylinders from 1994 to 1998 (or in other words, 850 through to V70 classic).
    Contact Simon in parts (AKA Rufe) at FRF Volvo in Swansea, say you are from the forum and he will look it all up for you, and also do you a good deal on any parts you buy.
    Last edited by Flatout Phil; Sunday 24th July 2011 at 22:27.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Flatout Phil For This Useful Post:

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Problem with the x70 range is that Volvo (at some point) in their infinite wisdom moved the slave cylinder to the inside of the bellhousing which could be the source of the fluid from the bellhousing.

Unfortunately if this is the case then it means the gearbox has to come out anyway. Not a task for the feint hearted! And until you get the box off you don't know which parts you need.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    thanks for both of your replies....flatout phil, i will look into that when i comeback next week and see how much the parts will cost etc.
    Bomb192uk thanks for your comment, the fluid was dripping from the bottom of the bell housing and we have topped up the reservoir and it doesnt seem to of lost any more fluid but then im not driving it so...I have beeen quoted 200 to remove engine etc then the price of clutch kit they said it shouldn't be anymore than 500 max but i will have to decide whether its worth it for me to find the money to do. and that i will decide while away or when i come back, but i will certainly contact the gentleman about parts etc in swansea. If anyone post while i'm away i will reply when i come back but thanks for everyones input :-))

wanting to get busy with my
    twins, twin zx9r's that is
    Thanks
    the reason your pedal has gone to the floor is your slave cylinder, this is known as a concentric bearing.
    people buy a 2 part clutch and don't bother to buy a new concentric bearing half the time due to cost, this is false econamy as the concentric failure is mainly due to an old clutch which when depressed puts too much strain on the bearing which blows the seals resulting in no clutch pedal and pedal on the floor.
    replace the clutch with a full 3 part kit is my advice and get the best clutch you can afford, cheap is not always best when it comes to clutch's.
    cheapest fix would be just the concentric bearing but while the box is out to change it be stupid not to replace the clutch as you can bet your bottom dollar the clutch drive plate will be contaminated with brake fluid and failure would happen again soon when the drive plate burns out or de laminates.
    and once you have it fitted then you will have a trusty volvo again instead of buying another car which may seem cheaper but in long run will it be?
    hope this helps
    (p.s mechanic for over 2oyrs and changed more clutch's than i care to mention)
    because it just had to be done

Thread Information