Join Today
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    just out of interest, why is the original T-5 sump no good, is there a crossmember it fouls on or something?
    I dont know to be honest. All the guides say when converting to RWD to use the 960 sump and cut a cylinders worth out and the pickup pipe. I assume its the wrong shape and fouls the crossmember or possibly causes oil flow problems. I imagine T5Pete will know more on this subject cos he is further on with the conversion than I am.

On a side note today I managed to source a 850 T5 rad, s70 t5 inlet manifold, 850 t5 water pump return pipe, 850 haynes manual and a ECU housing and lid all through this site. TOP WORK GUYS!

2003 V40 T4 Sport
    1988 Volvo 245 GLT Estate (Gaining T5 power!)

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    The sump fouls the cross member so that's why u have to use the 960 as there the correct shape just too long

3. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

antz (Sunday 31st July 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Right well things have been pretty slow in the camp whilst I collected bits, moved into my new workshop and got it all cleaned out, painted, powered up, leak free and such. Its not 100% yet but good enough to start playing cars in!

This update is mroe of a LOOK AT WHAT IVE GOT rather than what Ive done but Ill get there! Collecting things is part of the process.

First big step was to get the bonnet off and drain the water out of the system. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Today I received a nice big pile of parts from Niles which included a T5 Radiator, T5 Water pump return pipe which Ill have to mash together with a 960 one from Tomcat, a S70 inlet manifold and a ECU box.

My Genuine Volvo upper strut to bulkhead braces have arrived back from the powder coaters but I forgot to get a picture of them.

Then on a side note I went to VW Festival yesterday at Harewood House and inspired by the "Dub" scene I got a couple of stickers from the show purely because one made me giggle and the other might come in handy!

Then today I started removing all the crap that sits on the bulkhead so I could get to the foam and rip all that off. Its no wodner that 240 bulkheads rot out when they are covered in foam and rubber which traps all sorts of crap like this:

And finally whilst wandering round Halfords the other day I saw these on sale in the old stock pile. Pair of Brand new Sparco 3 point harnesses for £60! They are notmally £60 a piece! (dog not included)

Im hoping to get the engine out this week as my dads mate is itching to get started on this. He has offered to do all my wiring which is good of him.

2003 V40 T4 Sport

5. The Following User Says Thank You to antz For This Useful Post:

96T5Andy (Monday 15th August 2011)

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    its coming all together

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Looking good Antz. The sparco's were definately a bargain.

Next step...engine out! lol
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Flying Moose For This Useful Post:

antz (Tuesday 16th August 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I tried to get some work done today but with my T4 going in for an MOT a day early it kind of ruined my plans BUT....the garage lent me a loan car which came in the shape of a 1987 Volvo 240 GLT Saloon! WHAT A COINCIDENCE!

My mate did me this sticker the other day for a laugh:

I started clearing out the engine bay for the engine removal and sorting the wires. Its a bit of a spaghetti junction and labelling everything up with photos so I know what goes where and what it does. In that I forgot to get some pictures.

In the mean time Ive had a pair of half leather Recaros in the loft which I removed from a Rover 820 Turbo a few months back. Paid £36 for the pair from a scrapyard! Decided to roughly drop one in the driver position of the 245 cos the standard ones have a slight twist to the middle and the same lumbar support or a wooden stool.

and a harness thrown on too:

Thats another job on the list then. I really like the Recaros in there so as well as the engine and suspension Ive gotta somehow fabricate some runners for these bad boys to go in the car. And fix the rip on the drivers bolster (i used the passenger seat in the photos).

2003 V40 T4 Sport

10. The Following User Says Thank You to antz For This Useful Post:

96T5Andy (Wednesday 17th August 2011)

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Love the Werther's sticker I can't say don't cover it in stickers, look at mine!

Its coming along nicely too

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pault5estate View Post
    Love the Werther's sticker I can't say don't cover it in stickers, look at mine!

Its coming along nicely too
    Im done with the stickers! I just wanted a few to make the greenhouse windows less boring!

Hopefully get some more time on the engine bay tomorrow.

2003 V40 T4 Sport

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Looking good mate!

I followed the 740 T5 conversion thread on turbobricks a few years back...
    http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=132921
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Have to admit I too am a fan of the Werthers sticker.

Where abouts can one be purchased???

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Moose View Post
    Have to admit I too am a fan of the Werthers sticker.

Where abouts can one be purchased???
    My mate did it specially. If you want one, let me know what colour and I can speak to him and get a price for you?

2003 V40 T4 Sport

This user has no status
    Thanks
    right well today we actually did some proper work! shock horror!!!

Over the last few days Ive done a few jobs to the old 245. First job was to remove the electric window switches which are plain black and impossible to find in the dark. A tip off on the internet was that 940 illuminated window switches were a direct plug and play replacement so down the scrapyard I found some. Literally popped the originals out, new ones in, plugged them in and TADA INSTANT ILLUMINATION!

Also fitted a proper radio surround in place of the horrible chipboard one someone had bodged in:

And my dads mate glen helped out tonight with some engine removal and wiring. We ran out of light in the unit as we simply dont have enough striplights yet but we got everything cleared out the way so this weekend we can attack it and get the lump out.

old man in check and glen in blue!

2003 V40 T4 Sport

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Looking good antz, keep up the good work. Nice to see your dads motor looking glorious next to the 240!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Moose View Post
    Looking good antz, keep up the good work. Nice to see your dads motor looking glorious next to the 240!
    Aye he is just keeping it there whilst he sorts out a few things on it and sells his 4x4! Last night he was underneath scraping the muck out the wheel arches and giving it a good waxoyl! Then he atatcked the exhaust and the back 4 inches of tail pipe well off! WHOOPS!

Hoping to get the engine out of the 240 this weekend, picking up a m90 gearbox on wednesday, hopefully get the engine off Dean as soon as I can too. In the meantime Ive got plenty to do with cleaning the engine bay up, fitting my seats and some rust prevention behind the rear bumper!

2003 V40 T4 Sport

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Superb work there, Won't be long now... The T-5 lump will actually fit won't it?
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    Superb work there, Won't be long now... The T-5 lump will actually fit won't it?
    They do fit! The onyl real problem is the dizzy cap as it wants to occupy the same space as the bulkhead. Now I can either recess the bulkhead to create enough room OR go for a standalone system which gets rid of the ECU and empties a wallet very quickly.

I think T5Pete is going for the standalone system but Im going to recess the bulkhead as its cheaper and the Volvo system isnt bad really. It makes it mroe of a plug and play job too rather than faffing with custom mapping.

2003 V40 T4 Sport

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Good choice, the job looks hard enuff without making it harder. Funnily enough, earlier I was dropping some lifting brackets to a haulage yard out in the a*sehole of the new forest and what did I see being HIAB'd off a lorry and onto a scrapheap...? a white 245, looked like it had been sat in a ditch for a while!
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    still not got the engine out! Stupid Volvo seem to enjoy making every bolt 9ft long and hiding it behind 10 other items under the car, each with a 9ft long bolt. Spent ages today trying to get it out but in the end, hunger struck so tools were downed.

Did manage to get the front seats out though and the exhaust disconnected.

Going to get the full day on it tomorrow to get the engine out as its all undone and start adapting the Volvo seat runners for the Recaros.

2003 V40 T4 Sport

This user has no status
    Thanks
    FINALLY THE ENGINE IN OUT!!!!!

Got the engine and box out today finally. They really didnt want to leave their home but after undoing a thousand bolts all 9ft long followed by lots of hammering, shaking, hitting, more hammering, swearing and pulling the lot came out!

Also got the full exhaust system off as Im hoping to use a custom 3" stainless system.

So if you know anyone that wants a 2.3GLT engine or auto box for the same, get them to make me an offer otherwise itll be going for scrap

And as Im fitting Recaros I cant run heated seats. Luckily some spare 240 dash switch blanks I had fitted perfectly over the holes left by the switches.

2003 V40 T4 Sport

This status has no user
    Thanks
    Looking good!

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

Thread Information