Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Exclamation S40 T4 SE Auto phase 2 engine fault/s advice....

It's like this...

Saw the car weeks ago on Autotrader. Went to see it after getting finances sorted. Took for test drive & all was well....

Salesman told my wife that they had taken it in as a p/x & it has stood in the lot since the tax ran out in March....

On the way home with it, planted my foot which resulted in a metallic rattle accompanied by thick blue/grey smoke that James Bond would of been proud of!
    Backed off throttle, smoke eventually cleared

To be continued....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    That sounds like either the turbo or possibly even piston rings to me mate

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If it's from a trader go and see him mate. You have a lot more comeback buying from a trader. The sooner you do this the better. I bought my car privately and got stung, I'm finding it nearly impossible to get anything done about it.

Might be worth doing a compression leak down test first though so you have a rough idea whether it's the rings or not. When my turbo was gone it would smoke after idling for 2 mins or so and on overun.

Mitch.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post
    If it's from a trader go and see him mate. You have a lot more comeback buying from a trader. The sooner you do this the better. I bought my car privately and got stung, I'm finding it nearly impossible to get anything done about it.

Might be worth doing a compression leak down test first though so you have a rough idea whether it's the rings or not. When my turbo was gone it would smoke after idling for 2 mins or so and on overun.

Mitch.
    Yeah it's booked in for compression leak test in mornin
    Last edited by T4 NEIL; Friday 15th July 2011 at 09:26. Reason: mistakes

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Exactly as the previous poster said - take it back and get the guy to sort it out. Most likely turbo or maybe oil leak onto somewhere hot (possibly accompanied by heatshield rattle, which makes a nasty noise but isn't serious). Or rings. You can buy a compression tester for twenty quid that will confirm the latter.

He has to sell vehicles as "fit for purpose" - don't get fobbed off with the "sold as seen" line. Your ultimate recourse is to go to Trading Standards and say to them "I bought a car and it didn't even work until I got home" which they will take a dim view of.

Good luck and let us know if we can help.
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorry guys, bloody work got in the way of important stuff
    Right, where was I...

Got it home & checked under bonnet. Low oil... so topped up with 10/40 semi.

Went out & tried it again. Takin it easy there was no problem until while sitting in traffic I noticed what I thought was steam coming from the front
    Pulled over & checked it again, dip stick had blown out spraying oil everywhere! Turns out the O ring on the stick is suspect apparently??? Temp fix with black tape & tried yet again.

It seems that if I plant the throttle, it rattles like a biscuit tin of marbles rolling downstairs along with clouds of smoke so bad that everything behind disappears but if I potter about & accelerate progressively, I only get the odd puff now & again, with an almost silent engine... (BUT WHERE'S THE FUN IN THAT!!!!)

Also have noticed the cooling fan running more often than not, dunno if this is connected or normal???

Anyway, compression leak test booked for morning so will see what results we get...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have a spare engine if you need one

But seriously... it sounds horrific. Let us know the results from the compression test! Best of luck with it!
    Alastair
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status
    Thanks

Question

Just been up the road to Frankie & Bennies for tea. Mrs drove it, no rattles or smoke. I drove it home, giving a bit more stick... No rattles or smoke?????? WTF is my car playing at
    Still taking it in tomorrow just in case.

Out of interest, does anyone know if maybe the vvt pulleys can seize if left standing ? Bit random, but just clutching at straws!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm sure anything can sieze if left standing long enough but the belt tensioners are much more common from what I remember with mine. Never heard of a seized VVT.

Turbo is much more likely - does it only happen when the car is on boost?
    Alastair

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Al115 For This Useful Post:

T4 NEIL (Sunday 17th July 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Not all the time! Only seemed to do it if it was floored, but not if driven sympathetically. But this last time out, it didn't do it at all! Confused.com
    Last edited by T4 NEIL; Friday 15th July 2011 at 21:19. Reason: addition

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Even if it did have a dodgy o-ring on the dipstick, it should just be leaking out of it, no blowing the dipstick out and spraying it everywhere. Which would suggest there was too much pressure in the system.

Whats the condition of the oil and water and can you hear the turbo coming in when you go past 2000rpm?
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Seem to feel it more than hear it, but will try to listen when I go out later. Don't you just love intermittent faults...

This user has no status
    Thanks

Question

Right

Compression test done....

No 1 = 8, No 2 = 7.5, No 3 = 11, No 4 = 12.

Autodata 1:9

Now what? All suggestions welcome!

This user has no status
    Thanks

Unhappy

New findings - exhaust fumes coming out of oil filler when cap removed with engine running!
    Oil smoke at it's worst after standing a while after a run then starting!
    Stored fault codes - Crank position sensor fault, Misfire cylinder No 2

Seems everything is pointing towards valvetrain/cams?

How involved is removing the head? Is there any special tools required etc? Can't afford main dealer labour prices so need to do as much as pos
    s myself. Can't get hold of the trader I bought it off & to be honest the car I traded wasn't much better so don't want it back.!!!

Not sure what to do nexr???
    Last edited by T4 NEIL; Saturday 16th July 2011 at 21:19.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Compression readings aren't good tbh. If we say that cylinder 4 is perfect compression I would expect the rest, on a good engine, to be closer to cylinder 4 than 1 and 2 are. On a compression test getting text book figures can be very difficult as temperature of the engine and how fast the engine is turning when cranking will affect the compression results. What you are looking for is consistancy between cylinders. If your certain the test was done properly then it looks like you are down on compression on cylinders 1 and 2. This could be as a result of piston ring failure, valve/head problems or cylinder head gasket failure. All of those faults would explain your smoking symptoms. I'd say the noise your hearing could be pinking as a result of either water or excess oil entering the bore during combustion. Engine strip/cylinder head removal would be the next thing on the agenda from here.

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Valves or headgasket seem most likely for me.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks

Unhappy

Doesn't seem to use any water as far as I can see, but from what you guys have said, it's a head job !
    Is this something I can do at home or have I gotta spend the summer doing overtime? Used to love stripping down my old mini & ford x-flow & pinto engines, but this looks a little more involved..

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    You need to make sure you know what the problem is before you start doing any serious work.
    We may say it sounds like this or that could be the problem, but we've not seen or driven the car and there can be a few problems that can cause the same symptoms.

Do you know a friendly garage who could give you their opinion?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Have done, they're guessing at sticking valve/s... But not had much to do with them apart from services as normally very reliable...

This user has no status
    Thanks

Thumbs down

Went to 2 more local garages today, 1 said possibly sticking valves/ stem seals/head gasket the other said looks like piston rings/ head gasket. Both said lookin at £1000 ! But neither would want to do it anyway..

Still can't get hold of trader either, think I've been well & truely f***ed over!!!

Thread Information