Join Today
    Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts

Red face 850 t5 Manual NEW CLUTCH as last

Right i can only say without a Lift the Clutch change was a absolute Ba^%ed , and dont ever wanna do another one anytime soon.

As for someone on here saying it's just as easy to drop the whole subframe and do it, I COMPLETLEY AGREE! dispite other's saying leave it hanging from one side.

The Box is so big it was a job to get the clearance, New Sachs clutch fitted 240mm due to the bodger who fitted 228mm clutch 10k miles ago! why oh why would you do all the work, waiste all that time then fit a smaller weaker clutch! idiot's.

Now bedding the new clutch in and will be re checking bolts etc of whihc many had to be removed and then put back.

Horrible horrible horrible.

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Yep definately easiest to lower the subframe.

The embarrasing part about the gearbox fitted to these cars is it was actually designed to be as small as possible as the original box planned for these engines was too big to allow the engine to be mounted transversely!
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Flying Moose For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 10th July 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm still not sure why Volvo decided to fit the lump transversely. My old 760 turbo was rear wheel drive. So was a mates 740 turbo. Fun at the roundabouts. Weird feeling having the whole back end of a Volvo estate catching you up. lol
    .....sooper moose. '97 850R manual. Yum yum.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Niles For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 10th July 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I do most of my own work on my cars, but i always farm the clutch job out, i just can't be aggroed taking 6-8 hours trying to get a item just barely out of the space it can come out of.. then having to put it all back again. I paid Tim W to do mine and it was a nightmare even for the talented.

Gary.
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

Trader
    ???
    Thanks

Wink

I wont be doing another one for a while, It was a B^%d lol, ive done 2 clutches and 1 box on 306's etc and a Engine and box change on a Mazda 6, But this one lol nahh not again pmsl.

This status has no user
    Thanks
    I started it and gave up, Lol.
    Sent it off to a mates garage and got it done on the cheap, And still cost £250 odd + the clutch. I remember taking the engine out of a MK2 RS2000, Fixing the sump and putting it back in about 2 hours. Changing the cambelt on my Sierra was 15 mins!!!
    Why oh why? Lol.

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

Trader
    ???
    Thanks

Talking Time Taken 10hrs

I took the car off the road for a week, and spread the job out. as i had a Good friend/mechanic helping me. also we both work during the day.

We were hinded by my garage door so struggled to lift the car up at a sutible height to lower the subframe enough to enable us to take gear box out.

In the end we unbolted the rack and ALL four subframe bolts and lowered the whole lot.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Well at least it's done, and now you can enjoy the power of the engine in higher gears again!

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    Right i can only say without a Lift the Clutch change was a absolute Ba^%ed , and dont ever wanna do another one anytime soon.

As for someone on here saying it's just as easy to drop the whole subframe and do it, I COMPLETLEY AGREE! dispite other's saying leave it hanging from one side.

The Box is so big it was a job to get the clearance, New Sachs clutch fitted 240mm due to the bodger who fitted 228mm clutch 10k miles ago! why oh why would you do all the work, waiste all that time then fit a smaller weaker clutch! idiot's.

Now bedding the new clutch in and will be re checking bolts etc of whihc many had to be removed and then put back.

Horrible horrible horrible.
    Yep, I know all about that. I had to change my clutch twice within a year, and have had to change the gearbox as well, so three times I've had to get the box off.

The first time I tried the non-engine-out way, and as you say what a complete nightmare.

The next two times I borroed my uncles 8ton lorry jack to raise the car up. And unfortunately I have to do all my work outside and have the added bonus of the car being AWD so have a propshaft to remove!

Here's my makeshift shelter and jack LOL
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks

Thumbs up

LOL what i time you must of had !

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Yup, theres been moments where I just wanted to smash the thing to pieces but it all worked out in the end.

The last one was when my head gasket went (for the second time) and I got it all back together, tried to start it and it ran like a complete bag of crap. By this time it was late at night and pi$$ing down and I'd had enough. Then when I went back to it in the morning it started and ran fine! Bloody thing.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    I'm still not sure why Volvo decided to fit the lump transversely. My old 760 turbo was rear wheel drive. So was a mates 740 turbo. Fun at the roundabouts. Weird feeling having the whole back end of a Volvo estate catching you up. lol
    Yep very true the t5 would have been a amazing car if it were rwd.

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    I do most of my own work on my cars, but i always farm the clutch job out, i just can't be aggroed taking 6-8 hours trying to get a item just barely out of the space it can come out of.. then having to put it all back again. I paid Tim W to do mine and it was a nightmare even for the talented.

Gary.
    if i can be so bold as to ask how much and where he is!! i need a new clutch in mine but i dont trust many fitters in east london and most people when i ask just say erm volvo erm t5 erm about 5 million pound mate!!! slight overkill but you get the idea
    Last edited by theflyingbrick; Monday 11th July 2011 at 23:16.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingbrick View Post
    if i can be so bold as to ask how much and where he is!! i need a new clutch in mine but i dont trust many fitters in east london and most people when i ask just say erm volvo erm t5 erm about 5 million pound mate!!! slight overkill but you get the idea
    The thing is, there is a few other things/item you may/may not want to replace, 2ltr's of gearbox fluid, 2x Drive shaft oil seal's, Rear Main seal and possible flywheel if its in bad shape.

My Clutch had been replaced around 12k ago, idiot's put a 228mm clutch in, Hence it;s only lasted 12k, didnt replace the gearbox oil, seeing as it was that shagged. and pulled the thread on two of the main bolts holding the Box.

They did however replace the rear main, Although not the PCV system??? why oh why?

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    The thing is, there is a few other things/item you may/may not want to replace, 2ltr's of gearbox fluid, 2x Drive shaft oil seal's, Rear Main seal and possible flywheel if its in bad shape.

My Clutch had been replaced around 12k ago, idiot's put a 228mm clutch in, Hence it;s only lasted 12k, didnt replace the gearbox oil, seeing as it was that shagged. and pulled the thread on two of the main bolts holding the Box.

They did however replace the rear main, Although not the PCV system??? why oh why?
    right another blonde question what is this pcv everyones banging on about?? can you only get to it with the gearbox out?? considering i removed rebuilt the engine on last beemer ,with a broken ankle, in a cast i consider myself a handy grease monkey,but honestly these volvo engines fry my brain

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theflyingbrick View Post
    Well Tim has his reputation to think about and he will not fob you off or rip you off, much to the displeasure of his haters.

I bought a new clutch from Rufe which was the 850r clutch, 2.1ltrs of Redline gearbox oil, Don at Kalmar supplied me with 3ltrs and was only charging me for 2ltrs as our manual boxes take 2.1ltrs, and Tim sold me a vgc SMF for £30, he charged me £120 for the clutch install and he was working on my car most of the day, even with things on my car being a right pain, he still didn't charge me anymore. he finished at 8pm, he could've easily finished at 5pm and told me to come back the next day, but no Tim doesn't work that way. Hence why a lot of people travel 100s of miles too visit Tim for work on their cars.

I think a typical clutch replace is 6 hours, so even by that standard he only charged me £15 per hour plus £30 for the SMF.

Gary.

PS Make out the above as you wish, but customers reviews speak volumes.
    Last edited by siamblue; Tuesday 12th July 2011 at 18:57.
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

19. The Following User Says Thank You to siamblue For This Useful Post:

theflyingbrick (Tuesday 12th July 2011)

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    Well Tim has his reputation to think about and he will not fob you off or rip you off, much to the displeasure of his haters.

I bought a new clutch from Rufe which was the 850r clutch, 2.1ltrs of Redline gearbox oil, Don at Kalmar supplied me with 3ltrs and was only charging me for 2ltrs as our manual boxes take 2.1ltrs, and Tim sold me a vgc SMF for £30, he charged me £120 for the clutch install and he was working on my car most of the day, even with things on my car being a right pain, he still didn't charge me anymore. he finished at 8pm, he could've easily finished at 5pm and told me to come back the next day, but no Tim doesn't work that way. Hence why a lot of people travel 100s of miles too visit Tim for work on their cars.

I think a typical clutch replace is 6 hours, so even by that standard he only charged me £15 per hour plus £30 for the SMF.

Gary.

PS Make out the above as you wish, but customers reviews speak volumes.
    ok sounds like a bloody top bloke how can i get hold of him i need him in my life more than i need air at the moment you can pm me contact details if you want i would really appreciate it coz i dont wanna do it myself and make it worse at the same time im not paying some idiot 700 of my hard earned and that was just labour cost!!!!

Thread Information