Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Thanks

Price for 850 shell - scrap

Didn't even cross my mind about getting cash for the shell, but have heard I should get about £50 for it from a scrappy?

Also, someone wants the VIN plates and logbook but 2 people I have asked have said that i cant scrap it without them? Is this true?
    855R manual, turquoise

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Right, the rules for scrapping vehicles changed around a year ago. The idea was so that only authorised breakers could officially scrap a vehicle however you can still scrap a vehicle it just requires a few more forms.

The vin plate and log book WILL be needed in order to sign the vehicle over to the breaker. When I scrapped my shell I got £100 for it and they came to my house to take it away. Its very important that you obtain a certificate of destruction and that the vehicle log book is signed over to the breaker. The reason this is important is the DVLA will request may request a certificate of destruction as proof it has been disposed of in accordance with the EU recycling incentive.

I hope this helps. If you need any more advice dont hesitate to ask.
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Flying Moose For This Useful Post:

Giles (Tuesday 5th July 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers TFM.......so if this guy wants the plates and book etc, i should sell him the whole car and transfer the details over etc (effectively sell him the whole car)......for about £100?
    855R manual, turquoise

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Kind of begs the question, why does he want the VIN plates and logbook? Trying to make an normal 850 into an 850R? Or something equally as dodgy?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    Kind of begs the question, why does he want the VIN plates and logbook? Trying to make an normal 850 into an 850R? Or something equally as dodgy?
    The 2 people I asked both said the same.......(dad and brother).....can't say too much without upsetting this guy (unless it's too late lol), but i know him and he's genuine.......i need to find out why he wants them......
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    Thanks
    but just to add, i aint exactly happy with the idea at this moment in time and my conscience will sway any monetry offer.....
    855R manual, turquoise

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    Cheers TFM.......so if this guy wants the plates and book etc, i should sell him the whole car and transfer the details over etc (effectively sell him the whole car)......for about £100?
    Put simply yes. The main issue here is liabilty. Without the vehicle being signed over to someone else or a breaker you are liable for all costs and potential fines.

This is an extract from the DVLA.

Scrapping your vehicle

You must take your vehicle to an authorised treatment facility who will make sure that it’s dismantled in an environmentally friendly way.

The vehicles you can take are:

cars
    light vans
    three-wheeled motor vehicles - excluding motor tricycles

Authorised treatment facilities

The ATF will give you a Certificate of Destruction (CoD) straight away if they agree to take your vehicle. They’ll also tell DVLA that you’re no longer responsible for the vehicle. Keep the certificate as proof that the vehicle has been destroyed and you’re no longer responsible for it.

If you have a vehicle other than those already mentioned, you still need to take your vehicle to an ATF to ensure it’s destroyed to environmental standards. They’ll arrange for the vehicle record at DVLA, to be updated with a Notification of Destruction.

Telling DVLA you no longer have the vehicle

If you’re not given a CoD or your vehicle is not being destroyed, then you should complete the V5C/3 ‘Notification of sale or transfer’ section of your vehicle registration certificate (V5C), and send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD.

You should get a letter confirming that you’re no longer responsible for the vehicle. If you don’t get this letter within four weeks, phone 0300 790 6802 for further advice. Text phone users can phone 0300 123 1279.

If you have broken up the vehicle yourself, you must either continue to tax it or tell the DVLA that you are keeping it off the public road. You can do this by making a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). You will need to make a SORN every year until you have taken it to an ATF, or told DVLA that you longer have it.
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Flying Moose For This Useful Post:

Giles (Wednesday 6th July 2011)

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Giles,

I scraped a Golf GTi as an MOT failure a few years back to a breaker, about a year later i had a letter from the DVLA asking if i still owned the car as someone had applied for the logbook, and wanted £80 odd for not declaring it as SORN...

My fault for being nieve, just make sure you get it signed over, sound simple but i'm just dumb

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nealevo For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    personally I would scrap shell with breakers, get Log book done properly (I've never had a problem) I would be very wary about selling plates and log book, not wanting to upset anyone but IMHO someone wanting to effectively buy the identity of a scrap car is, something I would be more likely to report than agree to.

Take all details (Photograph or photocopy the filled in log book B4 they take it) and make sure you have all their details, you should get a letter from DVLA within about 2 weeks, confirming you are no longer responsible for vehicle
    Last edited by cookie; Wednesday 6th July 2011 at 08:33.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cookie For This Useful Post:

This status has no user
    Thanks
    Just get the scrappy to pick the car up if you can't do it yourself. You still sign the log book anyway, Just in a different section.

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

This user has no status
    Thanks
    dont be silly giles you'll get done for ringing a car is it worth a night in the cells and a interview from the plod just scap it you get a tonne scrap

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fyldetowbars For This Useful Post:

britten_mark (Wednesday 6th July 2011),Giles (Thursday 7th July 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fyldetowbars View Post
    dont be silly giles you'll get done for ringing a car is it worth a night in the cells and a interview from the plod just scap it you get a tonne scrap
    I aint gonna not worth it and it sounds well dodgy to me.....there is only one reason why you would want to re-brand a car, so it's being scrapped.....get the same for it anyway, maybe more, so no point......

But thanks for the heads-up guys......
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    Thanks
    some guy offered me a green t5r for little money last week and he said bring your plates down and i'll lend you my aa card for your trip back
    yeah right dont think so

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    The 2 people I asked both said the same.......(dad and brother).....can't say too much without upsetting this guy (unless it's too late lol), but i know him and he's genuine.......i need to find out why he wants them......
    Fair enough buddy.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fyldetowbars View Post
    some guy offered me a green t5r for little money last week and he said bring your plates down and i'll lend you my aa card for your trip back
    yeah right dont think so
    Lmao, how dumb would you have to be??.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Giles. Give me a ring if you need advice on the shell and the legal aspect rather than me trying to type it all out..

22. The Following User Says Thank You to andyb1375 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb1375 View Post
    Giles. Give me a ring if you need advice on the shell and the legal aspect rather than me trying to type it all out..
    Cheers Andy.

I have told the guy 'no' and phoned my scrappy which is 2 miles from me.....they have quoted me at least £150 just for the shell and are an authorised dealer who issue certificates etc......we are gonna try and drag it onto a pick-up or worse case, the scrappy says they will collect and knock £70 off! We'll see what happens
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    redditch nr birmingham the town full of chav s
    Thanks
    Cheers Andy.

I have told the guy 'no' and phoned my scrappy which is 2 miles from me.....they have quoted me at least £150 just for the shell and are an authorised dealer who issue certificates etc......we are gonna try and drag it onto a pick-up or worse case, the scrappy says they will collect and knock £70 off! We'll see what happens
    told u more than fifty quid mate

25. The Following User Says Thank You to si850r For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by si850r View Post
    told u more than fifty quid mate
    I was astounded.......he said "just a shell.......bout £150" lol
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I was astounded.......he said "just a shell.......bout £150" lol
    makes me wonder if it's a government incentive to get old cars off the road.....?
    855R manual, turquoise

Thread Information