Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

850 speaker set up

what is the best route to go down when it comes to upgradeing the speakers in the 850 and make them sound nice lol dont want to go down the sub route as i use the boot alot just want something that sounds decent ive already installed a decent alpine head unit it also has infiniti tweets in a pillar and mids in rear doors and standards in front but it still sounds crap lol

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    There has been a few people that have fitted a sub that fit's in the hollow of the spare wheel, that way you can still use the boot.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    mines 7 seater that gets used alot lol would be happy with a system thats as good as the 960 my dads got but im sure the speakers aint compatable

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nottsgreent5 View Post
    what is the best route to go down when it comes to upgradeing the speakers in the 850 and make them sound nice lol dont want to go down the sub route as i use the boot alot just want something that sounds decent ive already installed a decent alpine head unit it also has infiniti tweets in a pillar and mids in rear doors and standards in front but it still sounds crap lol
    bin the standard fronts, & your going to need some amplified 6x9's on the rear shelve. I imagine at the minute you've got alot of top end frequency but no bass

shame you use the boot lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yeah loads of top end cant do the 6x9 mines estate lol was going to mont some it the side of the boot but theres no recess in the sides

Thanks
    yeah loads of top end cant do the 6x9 mines estate lol was going to mont some it the side of the boot but theres no recess in the sides
    bloody estates lol

move the aftermarket mids to the front, then custom mounts/grills for 8's in the rear doors

This user has no status
    Thanks
    think ill have to get new mids for the front as the rear ones had to be seriosly moded to get in the back without looking daft behinde the standard grilles lol

Thanks
    think ill have to get new mids for the front as the rear ones had to be seriosly moded to get in the back without looking daft behinde the standard grilles lol
    you fitted 5.25" or 6" in the back

This user has no status
    Thanks
    think they nearer 7s they stick out half inch under the grilles and had to shave about 10mm of the top of the speaker to make them fit and look normal lol

Thanks
    think they nearer 7s they stick out half inch under the grilles and had to shave about 10mm of the top of the speaker to make them fit and look normal lol
    have you checked make sure the speakers aren't flapping into the grill in that case then? credit i only went for 5.25" because i didn't want to cut the grills up (i never sit in the back so wasn't too fussed about them tho tbh lol)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    no theres a bit of clearence and tried without the grills think im gona have to use a small amp because theres 10 speakers running off the head unit lol

Thanks
    no theres a bit of clearence and tried without the grills think im gona have to use a small amp because theres 10 speakers running off the head unit lol
    there all off passive cross-overs so theirs not an excessive load on the unit, an amp & a deep range speaker will improve it no end. What about an under seat sub or similiar (never tried them myself)

i ran 13 speakers off a 2channel amp, it didn't like it & split the circuit board in half lol (first system, learnt a bit since then lol)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    mite be worth loking into didnt know they made subs like that lol i did have a decent set up in my old car but like a muppet sold the lot for peanuts thinking i was going to grow up a bit and leave the 850 standard lol

Thanks
    mite be worth loking into didnt know they made subs like that lol i did have a decent set up in my old car but like a muppet sold the lot for peanuts thinking i was going to grow up a bit and leave the 850 standard lol
    its been a while since i was into my stereo, but both Kenwood & Pioneer did underseat low-profile boxs with built in amps. Weren't overly powerful but combined with the rest of the system might be enough

think i paid £5-6k on my Vibe install

15. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

nottsgreent5 (Tuesday 31st May 2011)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    I have amped my rear door speakers, have got to change them though as they're not bassy enough (though not crap by any means), have got to change the fronts.

Also I am in the process of fitting some proper OF cable instead of the standard cabling as it is crap. I've got the rears done, just trying to find time to get the fronts done.

I know that someone on here put 6x9s into the boot floor side panels, there some piccys around here somewhere.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ive got a pair of larger 12"s in the back of mine,
    ive changed the front door speakers for sony ones before made the sound a little better but my idea is to use the cubby hole in the bottom of the door to mount some big 17cm or maybe some 8" subs
    ive bought 2 sets of fusion tweeters yet tobe fitted. also i was thinking of fibre glassing some 6x9s in the place of the standard speakers in the back of the estate.
    Fitting larger subs always needs to power to back it up, with these more modern cars the power surges and depressions can cause damage to other parts on the car. (just thought it would be a good idea to just remind people lol)
    i used a much larger battery (off bmw 535d)
    fits just tight on the tdi sure it will fit the others too,
    i used a 2AWG wiring kit and a 2Farad powercap
    this then runs 1.8kw nicely
    i will probably be ok with a 1kw 4channel for the smaller speakers.... i will install them before amping them lol
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5678&dateline=1287350  651

Thanks
    i ran 2 batteries via a split charge system, i did buy a 1farad capacitor but didn't notice any drop so never got round to fitting it

Thread Information