Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

854 with 855 spoiler on roof?

I have seen people with 855 roof spoilers on their 854's before, and I am wondering how they mount it to the roof without it comming off at high speeds. I have never seen this done on a car here in the states, so I want to try something "different" (at least according to our standards, heh).

Also, another reason I want to do this is because I have have an opportunity to pick up a Carbon Fiber 855 Spoiler for a trade of other stuff I have laying around. Then, if it works out, get an 850R Saloon spoiler in CF as well to match, as long as a CF lip for underneath the front bumper

Anyways, I tried searching and didn't find anything, so any info would be helpful! Thanks in advance.
    | Carson | 2004 S60R | Stock (for now) |

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Too many spoilers spoil the volvo in my eyes. Would look like you covered your car in glue and ram-raided halfords. Your 850 looks mint as it is mate, I'd leave it be.

This user has no status
    Thanks

That looks awesome in my mind, minus the wheels + exhaust tip being GIANT! I really do like the dual spoiler look though.

This user has no status

Thanks
    You would be barking mad to fit an additional spoiler to that motor , its bloody stunning leave it alone or give it to me to look after !

This user has no status
    Thanks
    "... exhaust tip being GIANT!" - it looks like mine!
    I think it's standard with the Volvo sports exhaust though, so maybe I'm off the hook?

Fun in the twisties!
    We take the "be polite" rule very seriously!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goof
    "... exhaust tip being GIANT!" - it looks like mine!
    I think it's standard with the Volvo sports exhaust though, so maybe I'm off the hook?
    It just looks like a simple 4" round tip, I just prefer the oval or boxy shape like the factory tip.

But, that's not the focus of this thread. You didn't even express your opinion on the wing setup, FOUL!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The Swedes do have a very individual way of modding their cars. Seen some beauties on here:

http://www.volvo240tic.com/800.html

Personally though, I reckon minimalist is the way to go. I liked your old motor sans boot spoiler actually.
    Last edited by nikgallagher; Friday 29th July 2005 at 12:19.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Carson, been admiing your car for a while now, guaranteed more than 1 of us has your pics as a desktop hehe
    as or the spoilers ives seen this doen on a variety of acrs - normally fords and vauxhalls over here
    in my opinion they must bolt it to the roof underneath the headlining i dont see any other way.
    if it was my car i wouldnt bother especially with it being cf against the yellow on the roof, i think the black one works because of the single dark colour.
    the carbon lip sounds awesome and i would put a later spoiler form an 850r on the back which has a little black lip - the black car in the photos has it - u could then have the small lip carbon fibred - either real stuff or just a film.
    its your car and these are my opinions. - u seem a man of taste tho so im sure if it looks crap you'l take it off.
    i like the whole dark with yellow thing - other ideas = the dark jewel lights, dipping the wheels to anthracite, carbon fibre decor panel between the lights.
    keep us updated and dont stop with the photos.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by d14vd_h
    its your car and these are my opinions. - u seem a man of taste tho so im sure if it looks crap you'l take it off.
    i like the whole dark with yellow thing - other ideas = the dark jewel lights, dipping the wheels to anthracite, carbon fibre decor panel between the lights.
    keep us updated and dont stop with the photos.
    I would probably use a strong double sided tape with minimal glue if any at all.

Jewel lights, I plan on keeping my lights plain and simple and Jewels don't quite fall into that category, so I'll probably just e-code lenses to match my turn signals. When I get new tires and have the wheels apart, I will consider powdercoating the wheels in a darker color, but I am not sure, I really do like the Bright Silver finish And as for the 855 wing (which may or may not happen), I plan on doing a few other CF pieces around the car. Definately the front lip spoiler, the piece between the taillights (made without a hole for the lock, since I don't use that EVER), and maybe the interior dash kit.

I also appologize for not having any new pictures, I lent my camera to a buddy of mine, and he will have it for a few days as he is doing a cross-country trip (4 day trip!).

This user has no status
    Thanks
    "... You didn't even express your opinion on the wing setup, FOUL!"

Sorry - forgot that bit ~ I was doing some work (really!)

Opinion:-
    First glance it looks rather good! But on careful inspection it looks cr@p.
    Not sure whether that's a valid opinion really...

Fun in the twisties!
    We take the "be polite" rule very seriously!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    be carefull when fitting - as i used strong double sided tape 'body trim tape' and barckets fitted inside the tailagte to maintain the pressure and it flew off on the motorway!!!!!!!!!!
    yeah the cf bit between the lights or the decor panel as i call it is awesome!!
    keep us updated carson,
    no worries bout the pics mate gives my hard drive some breathing space - for now hehehe

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by d14vd_h
    be carefull when fitting - as i used strong double sided tape 'body trim tape' and barckets fitted inside the tailagte to maintain the pressure and it flew off on the motorway!!!!!!!!!!
    I was just thinking (doesn't happen often!) as to whether double sided tape would be strong enough to hold the spoiler. Guess this answers my question!

Any suggestions as to other methods of mounting the spoiler?
    I'd be interested to know how they have done it....
    Wish I had a Volvo!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i'd say it was bonded on with a strong adhesive while something like a bracket or bolt is put through to maintain the pressure

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Is it me or does that spoiler look like one off a Saxo...It don't look like a Volvo one

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JUDGENINJA
    Is it me or does that spoiler look like one off a Saxo...It don't look like a Volvo one
    Wish I had a Volvo!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JUDGENINJA
    It really does look like a Volvo 855 spoiler, but that is just what I see...

Now, if I were to do this (still unsure at this moment), which would you vote on in addition to the CF 855 spoiler?

-Keep the factory T-5R boot spoiler on
    -Get an 850R boot spoiler and paint it yellow (leaving the black plastic piece)
    -Remove the boot spoiler all together

Also, please keep in mind that I will be getting a CF front lip that goes underneath the R bumper so there would be equal distribution among the car (and also the piece that goes between the taillights if I do get the 855 wing)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi 95R,

Leave your car as is, looks good with 1 spoiler, 2 spoilers.....a bit tacky!
    The black one looks good but still looks like an add on rather than tasteful standard fit.
    And those wheels....nice but ott.
    My opinions remember, Mike

Suspended
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Dont do it Carson - the car looks sweet as a nut as it is!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I really want to do it, I think it would look awesome! I will try to get some pictures with a prototype wing (green wing being held in place ) just to give a more accurate image to base your decision from.

We held the wing in place to a friends 850 earlier, and I liked the added angle to the roof of the car, gives it some real character.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nikgallagher
    The Swedes do have a very individual way of modding their cars. Seen some beauties on here:

http://www.volvo240tic.com/800.html

Personally though, I reckon minimalist is the way to go. I liked your old motor sans boot spoiler actually.

Minimalist is the way forward as you say, and yes you're right, the Swedes do strange things, like this....

that is mad!

Oh and '95R, as many people have said, leave the car as close to stock as possible, it looks clean cut that way.
    Vorspung Durch Technik

Thread Information