Join Today

Thread: 850 earth leads

This user has no status
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Thanks

850 earth leads

Right...think there are 2. This goes back to my thread about the alternator whine I am getting.

Basically, there are 2 quite thick blue leads coming off the negative on the battery. One goes to just underneath on the chassis. This I have removed, sanded and replaced.

The other, goes down under the radiator and somewhere from there - I could not tell where as it had been cut off and was lying loose.....anyone know where it should connect to?

By cleaning the first lead, the noise has slightly gone....reckon if I connect the other, I should be a lot better off.....

Thanks,
    Giles.
    855R manual, turquoise

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i can only think of 2 blue's coming off my negative, one went to the earthing point behind the passenger headlight & the other as you say earthed onto the subframe

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    i can only think of 2 blue's coming off my negative, one went to the earthing point behind the passenger headlight & the other as you say earthed onto the subframe
    sorry - it's the headlight one i did.....need to know where on the subframe it goes lol
    855R manual, turquoise

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    sorry - it's the headlight one i did.....need to know where on the subframe it goes lol
    i'm sure it just went to one of the mounting bolts on the subframe, i'll take a pic for you tomorrow but got a feeling i moved mine onto the body when i finished off moving the battery to the boot

5. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

Giles (Saturday 9th April 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i'm sure it just went to one of the mounting bolts on the subframe, i'll take a pic for you tomorrow but got a feeling i moved mine onto the body when i finished off moving the battery to the boot
    if it can go anywhere then great - just need the best place as i do get alernator whine and wanna eliminate it
    855R manual, turquoise

Thanks
    if it can go anywhere then great - just need the best place as i do get alernator whine and wanna eliminate it
    are all your other smaller earthing straps ok? theirs a few from the engine block to the body (one by the gearbox & one on top from the cam cover), but i'll take as many pics of the straps as i can see. I'm going to upgrade the gauge wire on my earthing straps

8. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    annoyed really as my Sc-901 made no noise....bought a pioneer AVH-3200BT and it makes an awful whine that changes with revs......had to unplug the aerial to reduce it by 90% but it's still there.....
    855R manual, turquoise

Thanks
    annoyed really as my Sc-901 made no noise....bought a pioneer AVH-3200BT and it makes an awful whine that changes with revs......had to unplug the aerial to reduce it by 90% but it's still there.....
    have you got a good earth on the radio itself? does the radio show any signs of the display fading/flickering etc now the aerial is unplugged as it shows the earth wasn't upto the job & it was using the aerial to earth the unit

This user has no status
    Thanks
    have you got a good earth on the radio itself? does the radio show any signs of the display fading/flickering etc now the aerial is unplugged as it shows the earth wasn't upto the job & it was using the aerial to earth the unit
    No external earth - i touched a lead onto the case and then onto the body (wing mounting nut) and it made it worse.....

Now you say flickering, think i saw that earlier but may just be imagining it now......

Just want it fixed sounds crap ..... expensive unit too..... Can i run a lead from the black earth wire on the stereo out directly to the battery negative or chassis earth point? will this help?
    855R manual, turquoise

Thanks
    No external earth - i touched a lead onto the case and then onto the body (wing mounting nut) and it made it worse.....

Now you say flickering, think i saw that earlier but may just be imagining it now......

Just want it fixed sounds crap ..... expensive unit too..... Can i run a lead from the black earth wire on the stereo out directly to the battery negative or chassis earth point? will this help?
    yeh running it to a known good earthing point won't do any harm. My bro is by you (lives in model village) & used to have his own business fitting car audio, i'll check with him tomorrow & see if he can help & possibly pop in to check it over for you (might want a drink out of it but see what he can offer tomorrow for you)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorted now.....the amp connector came with an 'alternative wiring diagram' which i thought wouldn't work (disconnect negative from stereo, connect harness blacks to screw point on stereo, run to chassis).....did this and guess what......lol......no noise whatsoever......but i did pop to halfords and get some bullet connectors, bolt connectors and some 27amp wire so may have helped too......well chuffed now as all is as should be......
    855R manual, turquoise

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Giles For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Sunday 10th April 2011)

Thread Information