Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    I think that formula is a bit generous to be honest, my t5r came in at 5.4 secs when i first used it last year and as much as i would like to belive that i dont think its that quick lol, will find out at york with official timing.
    Last edited by Jamest5r; Tuesday 5th April 2011 at 20:56.

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamest5r View Post
    I think that formula is a bit generous to be honest, my t5r came in at 5.4 secs when i first used it last year and as much as i would like to belive that i dont think its that quick lol, will find out at your with official timing.
    that time was last at santa pod when i did a 2.2 60ft a 9.5 1/8th mile at 75mph

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    I think that formula is a bit generous to be honest, my t5r came in at 5.4 secs when i first used it last year and as much as i would like to belive that i dont think its that quick lol, will find out at your with official timing.
    Its using a standard formula to work it out for every car and as every car has different power curves etc, i don't think its too accurate, but its probably accurate to within a couple of tenths.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Its using a standard formula to work it out for every car and as every car has different power curves etc, i don't think its too accurate, but its probably accurate to within a couple of tenths.
    Ill take 5.6 then(still dont belive it lol)

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    It really is very much dependant on individual cars, that calculator isn't going to be 100% accurate and it's accuracy will differ from car to car. Believe the calculator is setup more for RWD cars.

Only one true accurate way, proper timing equipment with the person driving to get a good 0-60 time (not driving for a good 1/4 mile time). Even then environmental factors will change results

Could do with some local flat straight tarmac to test the performance app on my phone
    Last edited by Santa; Tuesday 5th April 2011 at 21:08.
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Ill take 5.6 then(still dont belive it lol)
    why what was your 1/8th mile time and speed? it sounds spot on for both of mine

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    First find out what your true 62mph speed is on the clock, i use a sat nav to go along at 62mph and then check what the clock speed was (it's not 100% but more accurate than the speedo).
    Then use a good digital camera to record it up to that speed.
    Play it back on a pc, preferably using decent video editing software and then time it using that.

This is what i did for my t4 and got a 0-62mph (which i think was 65mph on the clock) and got 6.2 secs, i also filmed it to 100pmh (106mph(?) on the clock) and got 14.6. That was about 1.4secs quicker to 100mph than my mates standard t4, which was also an auto.

I always say you can't just use the clock speed for timing (for the 100mph time) because it can vary a lot, as an example my t4 was getting just under 14secs for 0-100mph, clock speed. Which is very fast and obviously not right.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    redditch nr birmingham the town full of chav s
    Thanks
    Could do with some local flat straight tarmac to test the performance app on my phone[/QUOTE]

well that rules out most roads round halesowen mate...

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    First find out what your true 62mph speed is on the clock, i use a sat nav to go along at 62mph and then check what the clock speed was (it's not 100% but more accurate than the speedo).
    Play it back on a pc, preferably using decent video editing software and then time it using that.

This is what i did for my t4 and got a 0-62mph (which i think was 65mph on the clock) and got 6.2 secs, i also filmed it to 100pmh (106mph(?) on the clock) and got 14.6. That was about 1.4secs quicker to 100mph than my mates standard t4, which was also an auto.

I always say you can't just use the clock speed for timing (for the 100mph time) because it can vary a lot, as an example my t4 was getting just under 14secs for 0-100mph, clock speed. Which is very fast and obviously not right.

whats with the 0-62mph liam? thats very european of you (100km/h)

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leighkaicraigmia View Post
    whats with the 0-62mph liam? thats very european of you (100km/h)
    Thats what volvo were using, they had the t4 auto at between 8.1 and 7.7. Me and my mate thought that was sh*te, so we timed them to 62mph.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
    Sounds like its made a world of difference to the driving. How difficult was the top mount to do ??
    it was a pig but did nt have all the right tools needed but improvised and got it done but is do able
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

This user has no status
    Thanks
    just got on line....been reading thru the posts....All i can say is, could nt say for def she is std but there is no signs of tampering at all , all i have done is put on the stuff that is in the sig.....i took her out last night about 8ish so it was cool and damp....but as i have said in other threads there is a lot of power which is why i put on the strut brace as when you used to kick her hard she would always pull across the road, also i had the post about when i put the boost gauge on her and was nt sure whether the gauge was reading wrong as it showed 20 psi on full kick down ....all i can say is she has quite a bit more power than the T5 i have and on the same stretch of private road using the same phone the T5 did it in 7 ish secs but as for how accurate it is, Gawd knows....all i am saying is what ever the precise 0 to 60 is...it is under 7 secs , also looks 1 sec quicker than the T5 and i am happy with that as a week or so ago i thought she was nt performing right ....Anyway she sounds and goes great so cant complain.....
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    I think that formula is a bit generous to be honest, my t5r came in at 5.4 secs when i first used it last year and as much as i would like to belive that i dont think its that quick lol, will find out at york with official timing.
    it can't be an exact formula because they'd need more time v's speed plots to show the speed curve of the car (ie quick off the line then backs or vice-versa). How do they measure the speed at York have they got a seperate speed gun? Think it was at the Lax Power show they were doing 0-60runs, but just measuring time over a set distance which is no better than the calculator we're using

Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by si850r View Post
    well that rules out most roads round halesowen mate...
    The original settlers should have levelled the area first before building lol

Though according to the doomsday book Halesowen was bigger than Birmingham in the 11th Century (A little useless information for the morning).
    Last edited by Santa; Wednesday 6th April 2011 at 07:48.
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    I have found that most of my t5 s speedos have overread by 5mph which would explain the quick time. If you drive at 60 press the average speed reset button at an indicated 60and I bet the average speed will be 55-56 after a mile
    Last edited by T5frankie; Wednesday 6th April 2011 at 08:09.

Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leighkaicraigmia View Post
    I have found that most of my t5 s speedos have overread by 5mph which would explain the quick time. If you drive at 60 press the average speed reset button at an indicated 60and I bet the average speed will be 55-56 after a mile
    Mine over reads by 2mph at any speed. Rather odd I thought but then again probably just Volvo making the car safer.

This user has no status

Thanks

When I SVA'd the kit the allowance on true speedo was 10% reading low and a fail if it went one mph over. I had an electronic speedo that read two magnets on the propshaft.
    At 30 it was dead on, the same at 50 and at 70 it read 69

Thread Information