Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Really hot (sometime smoking) rear hubs/discs

Hi all.
    I am haveing real problems curing an intermittant problem of really hot rear hubs/discs on my 03 D5.
    The problem apparently started when i replace some badly worn rear pads,discs and shoes, every so often the hub/disc area would get really hot, once it was smoking.
    I thought that it must be a sticking caliper so replaced it (with a parts gateway part) still no joy.
    Stripped caliper down again cleaned and copper greased still no cure.
    Thought i should check out the handbrake shoes for sticking but all seems to be in order, cleaned and re copper greased.
    Could it be the hub bearings? they are not noisey and appear to spin freely, they wouldnt be intermittant ayway.... would they?
    Getting at my wits end now and could really do with some advice.
    Thanks in advance

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had that on both sides of my previous S60, and replaced the calipers, and the handbrake shoes etc, it was fine after that
    Jaseb77

S80 D5 SE (now enjoying it more)
    C70 T5 GT (weekend toy)
    S60 D5 SE (gone and i miss it)

This user has no status
    Thanks

are you sure the pads can move freely in the caliper,
    and that the handbrake shoes are not seperating from the shoe,
    and make sure the handbrake cable is releasing as it may be binding,
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Was gonna say the same, that maybe the hand brake cable has stretched and not releasing, had that on my last V70 AWD, replaced the cable and everything fine....
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    The handbrake mechanisim on these cars are known to seize. I know as mine did. To remedy, strip out the rear brakes so you can get to the handbrake mech and spray copious amounts of lithium grease into the cable sleeve whilst a mate (keeping the button depressed) works the handbrake lever up and down through it's full travel about 100 times. Make sure the adjuster is wound fully off. This will cure your problem. Reassemble using Brand new rear handbrake shoes. They are also very common at delaminating, so don't use the old shoes.

Reassemble and adjust. If the prblem still persists then you have a binding caliper. Sorted!!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information