Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorry mate did nt mean to worry you.....Should have said that my van was doing upto 1000 miles a week daily carrying Half aton in weight and when it was about to go it was screaming in 3rd and 4th then the last week silence but still did nt feel right.....More i knew it was about to go but kept using it....on the way home on the night before i could nt get 3rd at all....then i went out the next morning forced it into 3rd thats when it went..so i knew it was gone i just pushed it to its limits plus Traffics are known for this problem, as my mate said at the garage other cars can go like this for years but renaults once they start they go within 6 months...so very different cars....just was trying to say if not to bad try the molyslip as worked in mine for a while but being a Traffic it was nt going to solve anything, but on other cars it might...but my work vans do get a bused with mileage and weight so if a gearbox is going in my vans they wont last long.....
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kee1173 For This Useful Post:

Giles (Friday 1st April 2011)

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Has it progressively got noiser I dont remember it that bad. I feel awful for selling you this motor for so much but as you know I didnt make any money and I didnt intend to pass on with so many problems.

If I hadnt had so much bad luck myself with cars over the last 4 months I would help you out, I might still make a small donation to the Giles Gearbox fund though.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lance For This Useful Post:

Giles (Friday 1st April 2011)

This user has no status
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Has it progressively got noiser I dont remember it that bad. I feel awful for selling you this motor for so much but as you know I didnt make any money and I didnt intend to pass on with so many problems.

If I hadnt had so much bad luck myself with cars over the last 4 months I would help you out, I might still make a small donation to the Giles Gearbox fund though.
    Lance - no need......this is awkward as it goes about the 'friends and family' saying.....no one wants to screw anyone over, especially on a Volvo forum all about all of us loving these cars and being in the Volvo community....and i dont want lance cast out because of this....i know he feels bad as we have been speaking on and off.

Just bad luck - I aint had the verdict yet (20 mins or so) could be an engine mount! Which ones did DPA do? Reason i ask is that i had it on the ramp today to weld the exhaust, and none of the ones underneath (2?) have been done and are both fairly old.

I feel bad coming on here slagging the car off knowing you will see it......makes me think like I am saying 'what a piece of ****e I have been sold'. And unfortunately that's how it comes across because of the nature of forum help/questions etc.....

I dont think it's got worse as I had the stereo on most of the time and didn't really notice until I started to listen etc
    855R manual, turquoise

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Giles For This Useful Post:

lance (Friday 1st April 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    OK - verdicts in......

Main bearing in the gearbox has gone.

Been advised not to drive it.......gotta source an M59 but the mechanic is getting back with a cost for sourcing and replacing for me......but we're looking at a grand i reckon?
    Last edited by Giles; Friday 1st April 2011 at 20:15. Reason: '
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    redditch nr birmingham the town full of chav s
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    No probs Si - when you can I am free after 1pm today til 9pm, or anytime tomorrow......sunday may be an issue as i spend most of the week 'fixing' my car so better leave it alone for mothers' day (the wife)....
    no probs mate....hows about monday? Same here with mothers day and all that...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by si850r View Post
    no probs mate....hows about monday? Same here with mothers day and all that...
    monday is fine, but after 6pm if ok?

hey - i have a manual gearbox you can have free of charge.......just needs a £600 recon job doing on it........
    855R manual, turquoise

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Giles For This Useful Post:

si850r (Saturday 2nd April 2011)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well, i have sourced a box and possibly fitting for slightly less than what i was expecting to pay so i am almost happy. Anyone know the book time for a Volvo 850 gearbox change in hours?

If the main bearing in mine has gone, i plan to have it fixed and then sell my 'old' box to try to recover some of the money. Anyone know how much it would be to replace the part if it is the main bearing (whatever this may be).......
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hmm.....i have been quoted 6 hours labour by 3 companies......maybe i should get the Subaru team to do mine? What does 5 minutes equate to in labour lol?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxS2XLJqp7M[/ame]
    855R manual, turquoise

Thread Information